How can smaller DCI corps survive?

Stu... why so interested in getting 27Socal to change his story?

Not trying to get 27Socal to change his story but to determine the "plausibility" of his story. 27Socal made these two statements: 1) "I was told personally *by a top 8 director* last year that the top 8 directors want to pull out of dci"; and 2) "I have no association with any corps. Just a fan reporting the truth". Now he might be telling the truth; I repeat, he might be telling the truth. However, since he will not cite his top 8 director source, and he is not a journalist riding on the credibility of a news reporting institution, which is a more plausible scenario: a) that one of these people (George Hopkins, David Gibbs, Jeff Fiedler, Kevin Smith, Jim Coats, Adolph DeGrauwe, Dan Farrell, Rick Valenzuela, or David Glasgow) actually disclosed an innermost secret of the G7(8) to a mere casual fan; or b) that this is rumor generated by a casual fan. Considering that 27Socal will not cite his source, which is more "plausible", a or b?

Edited by Stu

Not trying to get 27Socal to change his story but to determine the "plausibility" of his story. 27Socal made these two statements: 1) "I was told personally *by a top 8 director* last year that the top 8 directors want to pull out of dci"; and 2) "I have no association with any corps. Just a fan reporting the truth". Now he might be telling the truth; I repeat, he might be telling the truth. However, since he will not cite his top 8 director source, and he is not a journalist riding on the credibility of a news reporting institution, which is a more plausible scenario: a) that one of these people (George Hopkins, David Gibbs, Jeff Fiedler, Kevin Smith, Jim Coats, Adolph DeGrauwe, Dan Farrell, Rick Valenzuela, or David Glasgow) actually disclosed an innermost secret of the G7(8) to a mere casual fan; or b) that this is rumor generated by a casual fan. Considering that 27Socal will not cite his source, which is more "plausible", a or b?

why would you be surprised that some of those 8 still have a plan..just askin , maybe you arent

Edited by GUARDLING

Jeff,

Would the stadium have been "just as half full" if it included NONE of the G7 but a similar lineup to the Rome Show?

My sincere belief is that the lineup similar to this year's Rome show would have generated the same number of sales. Or perhaps a marginally different number - but one easily offset by the lower per-corps appearance fee than demanded by the G7.

Kids/parents/fans don't go to "the (insert corps name here) show"....they go to the "dci" show.

Collecting the metrics on this as a thesis/white paper and generating econometric conclusions is the only way to take it from conversation/hypothesis to data-driven conclusions.

I wonder if the G7 would pool some money to contract that study.

possible. But this show had hype for months. And we were told texas is the capital of marching arts....all of these corps had kids from Texas. texas this, texas that.

the previous years top 8. All the G7 wanted....all the spotlight on them.

and they couldn't fill the place.

what's that tell you?

Now want to fill it up? let some corps that are actually from texas participate.

imagine that

• Like 1

why would you be surprised that some of those 8 still have a plan..just askin , maybe you arent

I have conversed with all of the directors mentioned in my post, and I would just be very, very, very surprised if a top 8 director, one of that stature, would be so flippant as to say something this extremely volatile to a mere casual fan.

I did not betray the director's confidence because I did not give their name. There are 8 directors in the tour of champions. Anonymous sources are used frequently in the media. If you choose not to believe it, that's up to you.

If the elite corps are not leaving DCI, why are they doing the tour of champions again this year? Perhaps it's a test to see if the concept will work?

when in doubt, if something isn't working, just keep trying.

ya know, like many of DCI's changes over the last 15 years

I have conversed with all of the directors mentioned in my post, and I would just be very, very, very surprised if a top 8 director, one of that stature, would be so flippant as to say something this extremely volatile to a mere casual fan.

they probably wouldnt...unless slipped.....but they could be doing the same to you

they probably wouldnt...unless slipped.....but they could be doing the same to you

Slipped? Ehhhh... possible (maybe in a rant of anger or slightly tipsy). But what I just thought of, just now as I was typing, is that a few of these guys are rather shrewd, and they might say something like that to a casual fan to test the waters on the blogs because they would know a person who heard such a thing would not keep it quiet.

Slipped? Ehhhh... possible (maybe in a rant of anger or slightly tipsy). But what I just thought of, just now as I was typing, is that a few of these guys are rather shrewd, and they might say something like that to a casual fan to test the waters on the blogs because they would know a person who heard such a thing would not keep it quiet.

now that could be true