I Loved Blue Devils

I sat on the 50 yard line inside the lower press box tonight in San Antonio.

The Blue Devils are simply the most phenomenal performers I've ever seen in 33 years of drum corps. There isn't a moment that wasn't captivating, engaging, or that failed to just blow me out of the water. I alternately whistled, laughed, or just held my breath waiting for the next insane moment. It's the first time I've seen a show ever that captivated me completely from the corps entering the field to the very end.

There has never been anything like them, and this show left me breathless.

Just WOW. Can't wait to see it again... Thanks Blue Devils... that was outstanding.

I also understand why people might not like it... but I just witnessed a new standard in performance and coordinated design. Outstanding!

Chuck Naffier

I agree with Chuck Naffier; but then, I'd be foolish to ever disagree with him...on anything. :tongue:

Edited by Michael Boo
  • Like 2

Very well said. I've had to open my mind a bit for this one, but after seeing this show live, it is completely open. It is the next level. Just as Star '93 was then. If the Blue Devils continue to perform this show on the level they did tonight and beyond, I can only hope that the judging community doesn't make the mistake they did in '93.

Edited by ATXGUY
  • Like 6

Well this thread is a welcome to the eyes. all too often i come on here and BD get's thrashed for being consistently outstanding, it happens in the UK as well. It takes someone of chucks stature to point out, they are who they are and they do it better than anyone else on a very regular basis.

Nice that BD get some love. totally over due.

Let me go back and green + Chuck

On a side note to Chuck...... Help my beloved bones find those elusive tenths to break the top 12 thumbup.gif

• Like 7

Thank you Chuck. You're a class act and remarkably perceptive. "Coordinated design" indeed! rolleyes.gif

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 2

I agree 100% and think what they are doing is so much on a different level than everyone else, that it makes some extremely strong performances by other corps look almost quaint in comparison. The intelligence of the overall design is staggering. What may seem random scatters are really beautifully balanced compositions that are constantly changing and very carefully planned.

They completely destroyed the model of opener-drum feature-ballad-closer that many people find tiresome and have instead presented numerous moments of tension/release, fast/slow and melody/dissonance that keep the show moving at a wonderful pace, while at the same time being totally different.

It's the closest thing I've seen in a drum corps show mainstream entertainment, such as Cirque, etc. It's not "a drum corps doing a show about Cirque," but instead a totally different form of interactive entertainment. It does make you think they may be about ready to take flight into some sort of new endeavor, with their B and C corps still competing in DCI. If they don't ,you would have to think they will be getting bored very quickly. Once you've opened the door to new creative possibilities like this, it becomes increasingly difficult to fit yourself into an old box.

Excited to see what they do next!

• Like 3

Flammaster

We were very fortunate to have Steve as an instructor those two years with the Knight Raiders. I have only heard about his whereabouts through a mutual friend of mine, Mike Ferrera who taught the tenors with Steve in 1976. We used to marvel at how fast he could play when he pulled out an original manuscript of "Birds of Fire" (SCV drum solo 1975) that Curt More wrote or co-wrote) with 128th notes. He would always tell us, it's not how loud you can play, it's how soft you can play with control and musicianship. When the corps folded after the "77" season, the musicians either went to the Blue Devils or the Santa Clara Vanguard. Most of the Brass players went to the Blue Devils and the percussion to SCV. Chuck King (DCI Percussion Judge) went to BD. Both SCV and BD were the beneficiaries of that corps folding in 77.

Charles Houser

Knight Raiders 76-77 Tenors

Santa Clara Vanguard 78-79 Tenors

San Jose Raiders 81 Percussion Staff

I got to hear the music I wanted finally!

Which piece(s) are you referring to?

I agree 100% and think what they are doing is so much on a different level than everyone else, that it makes some extremely strong performances by other corps look almost quaint in comparison. The intelligence of the overall design is staggering. What may seem random scatters are really beautifully balanced compositions that are constantly changing and very carefully planned.

They completely destroyed the model of opener-drum feature-ballad-closer that many people find tiresome and have instead presented numerous moments of tension/release, fast/slow and melody/dissonance that keep the show moving at a wonderful pace, while at the same time being totally different.

It's the closest thing I've seen in a drum corps show mainstream entertainment, such as Cirque, etc. It's not "a drum corps doing a show about Cirque," but instead a totally different form of interactive entertainment. It does make you think they may be about ready to take flight into some sort of new endeavor, with their B and C corps still competing in DCI. If they don't ,you would have to think they will be getting bored very quickly. Once you've opened the door to new creative possibilities like this, it becomes increasingly difficult to fit yourself into an old box.

Excited to see what they do next!

This.

Back in 08 the BD design team departed the playing field in search of a Cirque-style (3-ring circus assault on the senses...where overwhelming is the goal), risking the farm. What happened was predicable in light of SOI and the fan reactions back in the early 90's. And what some thought was an amusing and short-lived departure for BD, (further emboldened by the results and reaction in Bloomington in 08), has become their new true north. Yes, they're clean, but BD's always clean. It's the design. Some call it scatter drill because they simply can't define it any other way. But it is as Chuck Naffier describes here...."coordinated design"....lots going on all over the place...perfectly. They come together occasionally in a big way, not because they can, but because resolve requires it.

That said, I think this is CC's best shot ever....and with PR capable of a run (Cadets...not so sure), this will be a great Indy right until the big dance!

Finally, maybe the boo birds can find something else to shout (if they must) how about "scores", accompanied by an standing O for the MM's!

Edited by Plan9