I Loved Blue Devils

With respect to this thread and about the Blue Devils Cabaret Voltaire

Just a thought...

When Chuck Jones' What's Opera, Doc? (Que L'Opera, Doc?) was first performed in 1957 there was a riot in the audience.

It was not accepted at first.

It was different to say the least.

It was a creative masterpiece.

21 years later, in 1978, part of it was used in Phantom Regiment's show, another creative masterpiece.

"Come into my shop, let me cut your mop, let me shave your crop...Daaaaiiiiiintiiiilllleeeeeee..... :)

And do you think that is a positive or negative virtue in a drum corps show?

It quite positive as a large number fans will only ever see a show once or twice. It's taken me around 8 viewings to be turned around on BDs show. And it's still not my favorite. I appreciate what they are doing.

But I'll take Crown and Cadets over BD because of their Whiplash drill and a lot of notes. That's my cup of tea. That's stuff I get excited about. And i enjoy it on the first viewing, and every viewing after.

I'll also take Phantom and their beautifully crafted drill that fits better with the music than every other corps.

BD has for sure grown on me. I really enjoy the show now. It's nice that they are different. It's not really my cup of tea, and thank god their music interests me this year, because while I recognize the demand of the the drill, and how well it is put together from a layering and staging stand point, I find is boring. And it doesn't engage me all that much.

Which BTW they really need to define that better in the sheets. Because you can argue, and it has been argued that literally anything can be engaging.

• Like 2

Funny, whenever the reaction to Rite of Spring is brought up I think about another work that has some creepy parallels:

When John Adams's Grand Pianola Music premiered in 1982 it was booed and heavily criticized.

27 years later, in 2009, part of it was used in The Cavaliers' The Great Divide, their lowest ranked show in 11 years.

:tongue:

As Carl Sagan liked to say, "they laughed at Einstein, they laughed at Maxwell, they also laughed at Bozo the Clown". Let's wait a few years before we put BD's staff in the same league as John Adams and Igor Stravinsky, eh?

With respect to this thread and about the Blue Devils Cabaret Voltaire

Just a thought...

When Igor Stravinsky's The Rite of Spring (Le Sacre du Printemps) was first performed in 1913 there was a riot in the audience.

27 years later, in 1940, part of it was

used in Disney's Fantasia, another creative masterpiece.

Charles Houser

well a treatment of his Firebird isn't getting universal love this summer if that helps

:tongue:

When Chuck Jones's "What's Opera, Doc?" (Que L'Opera, Doc?) was first performed in 1957 [...]

"Come into my shop, let me cut your mop, let me shave your crop...Daaaaiiiiiintiiiilllleeeeeee..... :)

Point of order: the lyrics you cite are from "The Rabbit of Seville", not "What's Opera, Doc?"

(I prefer the former, actually. But "Feed the Kitty" is Chuck Jones's masterpiece.)

Well what that statement tells me is that you don't like their show...therefore the BD staff doesn't care about the fans...and you come close to trying to assign your pov to 'the fans' with this one...IMO

pays to read. take away the narration, I love this show.

good try though. even Plan seems to have gotten that this year. Look at cadets....after several years of shows that received at best lukewarm fan feedback, even Hop changed course, and publicly said so.

I mean ok, Lil geoffrey didnt work out as well, but 09, 11-12 seemed to have paid off

And do you think that is a positive or negative virtue in a drum corps show?

depends on who you talk to. some people want to get it on the first shot. some people want to dig

Point of order: the lyrics you cite are from "The Rabbit of Seville", not "What's Opera, Doc?"

(I prefer the former, actually. But "Feed the Kitty" is Chuck Jones's masterpiece.)

all fine masterpieces. Kill da wabbit, kill da wabbit...heh! brilliant!

Having seen the blue bad's show several times I find it interesting that the system still has not found a way to equalize the bias that seems to show up in the ranking and rating of these units.

The horn book for Crown is way harder than what blue bad's presenting, half the time Blue Bad's standing still when ever they have to play anything hard.

The drill, oh I mean staging lol, is so simplistic. It really easy to move around when your not playing, but this activity seems to be really struggling with giving credit to units that play and move/march. Is holding and interval though a group/ensemble harder than a scatter drill, or random movements. No doubt in my mind that they can be effective but, I don't see any reflection in the sub captions to value or credit the units that present these types of DEMANDS, #### I used the D word, Oh well.

It boggles my mind to see a color guard with so much talent be wasted. The hula hoop section is kinda cool for about 10 seconds, but then it goes on for way to long. In addition, I don't see in the sub caption any reflection of the lack of technique when they manipulate this piece of equipment. I would think everyone, I mean everyone should be judged with the same expectation regardless of what there spinning or manipulating through time and space and I don't see that being put into practice.

I must say though, that they are the best at spending 40 seconds dressing the horn line in the middle of the field. AND THEY STILL GET FIRST PLACE! Give me a break.

I must applaud them for finding a concept that would support the random samplings they have been presenting the last couple of years. I for one feel that have been getting away with extremely bad transitions that if any one else tried to do it they would get blasted.

That being said, all you other staff's get some Balls and head into critique and fight. It is obvious that the adjudicators are not going to change if you don't go in there and make them think next time they drop a number.

By the way the color guard judge on saturday in San Antonio, and everyone will go to the recaps and look who it was, should be embarrassed at the ordinals that he did.

Let the games begin!

• Like 2