I Loved Blue Devils

Maybe we've changed! Maybe we've become more cynical and competitive. Look...people like what they like (I get it Jeff :tongue: )...and I, or anyone else, have no right to suggest you must like what, by your nature, you don't. However, some (apparently, a lot of some) come to drum corps to see a reflection of the their past done with new people....a sort of DCI Juke Box. Anything wrong with that?....hell no!...but to exclude or reject the new and different is to limit and narrow the activity.

Yes, BD designers have departed for parts unknown (a while ago)....but instead of encouraging exploration in design, some react as though it's a full out assault on DC. They're just one corps trying something expansive and different. And BTW, other corps are not exactly lining up behind them either, so that pretty much debunks the "lemming effect". And despite your minimizing of ABBD, IMO this is (to an unmeasurable degree) about change and reward. In DCI...change comes hard, and even harder if it is accompanied by titles.

So BD is the ONLY corps that is trying something new and different? Is that how you feel?

It seems that BD is a corps that doesn't try anything different from their current design approach. You have Crown that did Rock and Roll one year and then one of the hardest concert pieces the next. Cadets doing innovative "Angels and Demons" and the next year Christmas. Year to year, BD is one corps that DOESN'T approach its core design differently (much like Madison the past couple years, doing "Old-Skool"). Most other corps experiment more. So you can't say that BD is trying something "new". Doing the same design approach for the 5th year in a row isn't exactly "new" anymore. Of course it still Jives with the judges, so why change?

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

Oh don't get me wrong - I'm passionate about it:-) But sometimes you need to step back and get a little perspective.

When I see anyone anointing themselves as leaders of a new era, I have an uncontrollable urge to throw a pie in their face.

And in such profund moments, we should all study the masters:

worthy.gif

Yes....a group-pieing would be perfect!!! I both welcome it and deserve it! Love the Stooges!!!!

Edited by Plan9

Yes....a group-pieing would be perfect!!! I both welcome it and deserve it! Love the Stooges!!!!

The North Star, DCI Finalist Corps in the late 70's, did a skit in their show one year with a pie- in- the- face of the contra bass soloist after his solo. It was all silly nonsense. Audiences ate it up too.

Edited by BRASSO

Oh don't get me wrong - I'm passionate about it:-) But sometimes you need to step back and get a little perspective.

When I see anyone anointing themselves as leaders of a new era, I have an uncontrollable urge to throw a pie in their face.

And in such profund moments, we should all study the masters:

worthy.gif

nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!!!! :smile:

So only unicorn and rainbow comments allowed in show threads? If anything the OP gives us a chance to dissect his opinion and give reasons in favor or opposed. That's the discussion at hand.

I haven't even gone into the Cadets thread yet. I'm sure I'll make fans there

:tongue:

No they don't. :rolleyes:

:tongue:

well sometimes

:devil:

(from Spirit dad)

I have been watching this discussion and others like it for quite some time now. Honestly, I feel that some of the people on this forum really need a reality check of their own. It's disgusting the way some of them speak about corps and performers, all of whom are out there busting their butts in the blazing heat to perfect their respective shows. It may be your right to dislike a show...but you are simply not a fan if you can't recognize the hard work of young performers then come here to complain about them and the shows they perform. Drum Corps shows, just like high school marching band shows are not judged by the audiences. They are judged on their technical merits in areas such as playing, spinning and marching. Hopefully the shows that are played the best, have the best guard work and marched the best will ultimately be the winners. The corps who wish to win will continue to design shows for the judging community. If DCI allowed "audience participation" style judging the activity would surely fail. Please have a look at the careers of the artificially created American Idol performers vs. those who got to the charts the old fashioned way. Generally speaking aside from their time on the show and the time on the Idol tour...they don't enjoy the same kind of real success as other artists. Do you really want the average audience member "judging" shows? Think about in real depth for a little while. We are lucky that DCI offers marching shows from so many different styles and viewpoints. I'm the parent of a current marching member (and proud!)and even in the heat of this summers competition I can completely appreciate Crown's hornline, SCV's percussion, Phantom Regiments guard, BD's visual/marching excellence. In fact at the San Antonio regional I found things I enjoyed during EVERY SINGLE SHOW. I clapped for every show, because I appreciate all of the work that goes into each and every show. Drum Corps is "re-invented" every summer. I'm glad it continues to push boundaries so we all get to see new and different approaches. Maybe it's time that some of you quit with all the negativity and get back out to more shows to support this activity. Or not. I guess it's up to you. You are probably not getting enough "entertainment" in your life if you spend all of your time in this forum complaining.

yea what he said!

• Like 1

I just want to thank Chuck for posting this thread even though it got crapped all over. DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!

Stop calling everyone trolls. Chuck knew when he posted the OP, that this is a discussion forum, and people would discuss and dissect his thoughts. I agree with most of what he says, and posted my own opinions as such. How about you try not being so condescending to everyone? Mkay?

• Like 5