BD 2012 Reinventing Drum Corps?

Hope the headline is interesting enough!

So, in another thread BD is claimed to have the most engaging, well coordinated performance and designed show that people have ever seen.

I'm curious by these comments because as a whole the show does not display these elements to me. I do genuinely find the show interesting and don't hate. (This thread isn't about my tiffs with the way the show is being judged/scored).

For people that think the show is reinventing drum corps what specifically about the show is special and more importantly how is it different than what BD has done over the last 5 years? (you can thank me for the number of green pluses you'll get for your responses!)

I look at BD and two things pop out to me. The drill formations (how they evolve and dissolve) and the number of things going on at the same time. The music this year is not all that out there, fairly accessible and even the hits are reminiscent of mainstream drum corps. Visually this corps does something different but is it that special to say it's reinventing drum corps? Is the programming really different than any other corps programming ever? Is the visual/musical coordination better than any other corps? (I think cadets 2011 have one of the best).

I would say no, not really. The show has unique elements ofcourse but I find that it very much fits into what BD drum corps is all about. Especially their identity over the past few years.

The only case I can agree with is BD it's self is reinventing THEIR definition of drum corps (and not Drum Corps as a whole) but I don't think that this specific show, BD 2012, is doing it all on its own...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 4

The only case I can agree with is BD it's self is reinventing THEIR definition of drum corps (and not Drum Corps as a whole) but I don't think that this specific show, BD 2012, is doing it all on its own...

I think that's a pretty fair statement. We'll only know if it's a true 'reinvention' if other corps emulate elements of what Devils did this year in their future programs. Kinda like Star in 1993. They were blazing their own path in 93, but it reinvented the activity to some extent with other corps using elements of what they'd done.

I like the uniqueness of Devils this year very much. I wish more corps would take a risk and blaze their own paths, but I understand why most don't. The corps that were successful doing something new and different, aside from Devils have been Crown and Teal Sound (at least in 09 and 10, maybe 11. Certainly not 12, folding aside). Crown has taken integrated body to a new level over the last several years, which is pretty cool.

• Like 2

I kind of feel that the 2012 show is the culmination of a five year odyssey. Everything they have been trying to accomplish since risking absurdity, for me, is presented in a complete package this year. (In my humble opinion.)

It's still not my favorite show of 2012 but there's still a few weeks left for me to change my mind.

• Like 1

I kind of feel that the 2012 show is the culmination of a five year odyssey. Everything they have been trying to accomplish since risking absurdity, for me, is presented in a complete package this year. (In my humble opinion.)

It's still not my favorite show of 2012 but there's still a few weeks left for me to change my mind.

Then again, many people said that in 2010 about their progression from 2007 up to that point. If anything, this is just another step in their evolution as an organization. I don't really see them turning back any time soon. Heck, I'm no huge fan, but I don't really want to see them turn back. I may not always like what they put out there, but there are other corps I don't always care for, either. That's just the nature of any art form.

• Like 2

Hope the headline is interesting enough!

So, in another thread BD is claimed to have the most engaging, well coordinated performance and designed show that people have ever seen.

I'm curious by these comments because as a whole the show does not display these elements to me. I do genuinely find the show interesting and don't hate. (This thread isn't about my tiffs with the way the show is being judged/scored).

For people that think the show is reinventing drum corps what specifically about the show is special and more importantly how is it different than what BD has done over the last 5 years? (you can thank me for the number of green pluses you'll get for your responses!)

I look at BD and two things pop out to me. The drill formations (how they evolve and dissolve) and the number of things going on at the same time. The music this year is not all that out there, fairly accessible and even the hits are reminiscent of mainstream drum corps. Visually this corps does something different but is it that special to say it's reinventing drum corps? Is the programming really different than any other corps programming ever? Is the visual/musical coordination better than any other corps? (I think cadets 2011 have one of the best).

I would say no, not really. The show has unique elements ofcourse but I find that it very much fits into what BD drum corps is all about. Especially their identity over the past few years.

The simple answer is that they may, in fact, be reinventing drum corps; and if they are, this is a big step in making DC so esoteric that even fewer people are interested in the activity. In fairness, I can only use myself as a touch point on this issue. I've evolved with the activity through many decades of changes. I've been cool with and a defender of most of those developments. What BD is doing these days, though, bores me to tears. If this is what drum corps is to become, the parade will figuratively and literally pass me by.

• Like 6

snip:

I would say no, not really. The show has unique elements of course but I find that it very much fits into what BD drum corps is all about. Especially their identity over the past few years.

Bold Statement I totally agree with. I don't think this is really going to influence other corps to go in this direction .. GOD I HOPE NOT! It's fine that BD wants to be that corps ... but kill me now if EVERY corps wants to be like BD.

The first part of your snipped quote ... the simultaneous focal points, dissolution and reformation of clusters or instantaneous RE-deformation ... these aren't new elements. BD started doing this in 1991 .. and I think that's part of the reason it's part of the design this year. The show is very much an omage to the source shows the music comes from.

If anything, BD took the simultaneous focal point strategy from what Cadets were doing in the mid 2000's. Maybe it wasn't just the Cadets. I remember complaining heavily about it at the time and it's still with us to this day. Crown, Cadets, BD ... heck even Phantom is doing it to a certain extent. To me, it often covers up bad staging. The hard part to choke down is when the multiple focal points are nonstop. It's just too much to take in even on multiple viewings .. and after seeing it 100 times, you start to question the reasoning for it. It's not showing brilliance in the design .. it's only taxing the consumer of the information. I still contend that there should be ebb and flow to visual design just as much as there should be in the musical design. Sadly, we continue to venture further and further away from what Surf is doing this year on a grand scale from the majority of corps. Surf and about 7 other corps are going back to a more conventional approach, yet aren't receiving credit for it.

I'm not trying to say that Scouts should be first this year ... or Surf or Crossmen. I just enjoy it more. Personal preference? Maybe. But I'm of the line of thinking that most stadium goers agree with me.

As for BD ... they are who they are. They do what they do. They do it incredibly well. Slowly, little by little, I'm coming to enjoy the show more with each viewing. The hard part for me is looking back to all of the 80's and early 90's and wondering ...... Where did my Blue Devils go? Well, they're still in there ... it's just a different time. I see the 91 and 92 show all over this 2012 production .. it's just taken to the extreme.

I don't believe that neither the show or the corps is re-inventing drum corps. What each is re-inventing is how to be continually excellent and how to win.

I say that neither is re-inventing the activity because what Blue Devils is doing is being done with the same instructional and artistic tools that are available to every corps. They've just figured out how to do it on a spectacularly high level.

• Like 2

I honestly don't think they are trying to reinvent at all, for anything. I believe that BD is trying to do something more than just a drum corps show. They're just trying to be bit different from the rest of the group.

Usually, when I watch drum corps, I need that understanding of what's going on. Does it make sense musically and visually combined. That being said, watching the Blue Devils without knowing the "Dada" theme, the music and drill works well together. The way the forms and choreography works around the music is perfect.

This show has been a history lesson for me. I honestly believe that's what the BD's were shooting for - give the audience something more than just a theme with great music/visual. Give the audience something that when you watch it, you walk home with a new idea in your head.

That being said, I realize the general audience isn't like us drum corps geeks who read a lot of what the corps' design elements are, and then post/argues about them on forums. But I don't think BD wants to be a fan favorite. They want to cater to that audience who will go home and search the meaning of "Dada". If you're leaving the stadium asking yourself "huh?", you're probably asking the right question.

Where I really have a problem with the top corps .. not just BD .. is that they forget they are the example to the entire marching arts community. They influence every band and band director in this country (that's paying attention). Every designer, drill writer, color guard instructor, visual tech, brass arranger ... and their students.

Of course those individuals and their programs are going to try and emulate what wins ... it's been proven year after year. Go to any BOA even, MCBA in Michigan or any other circuit around the country that uses DCI judges and/or an offshoot of the DCI sheets.

High school bands have to entertain their football crowd meatheads .. which is often a chore because the kids that are in competitive bands don't care about the friday night lights. They are just prepping for Saturday.

So the big question is ... is BD so much in their own little world that they forget or don't care what example they are setting? Maybe I'm asking the wrong question. I'm not sure how to post this without sounding like a hater or whatever. In truth, I dig what BD is doing ... but the 99.7% of the rest of America that doesn't follow DCI isn't going to get it .. and they're going to be served up heap loads of it every Friday night in the fall. Yes, I truly believe this contributes to the decline in music education programs in this country .. why the arts continue to be slashed.

Our leaders in the industry are so busy making themselves proud that they forget their responsibility as a role model. I can feel the -1's coming ... ugh :huh2:

• Like 4