Could you overlay the VOD's with what I now assuming to be superior audio? BTW, what bit-rate are the VODS streamed at? Are they using traditional recording setups for the bigger shows?

Who would you like to compare? I'll get you a sample.

Format-wise, we're doing 192 AAC for the hi-rate broadcasts, and 128 MP3 for the main... in San Antonio, this was a mic array in the press box. For the APDs, they're on-field mics that you'll see on telescopic pole setups. This reduces judge, crowd, and other ambient noise. A little less reverb that way in a dome, since you get more primary sound. Also, I've had a chance to do what I call "decharacterize" the file. That's to say that you go from 'real life', and get a recording that sounds like it passed through a microphone... no matter how good a mic is, there is something that isn't exact... and then I reconstruct a more accurate reproduction through some very small adjustments. The outcome is, I believe, a rather close representation of what it would be like to be there again. Those recordings are encoded at 320 MP3 for maximum compatibility.

For the record, the VOD is usually recorded in ProRes/QT, which is uncompressed AIFF, and then rendered down to 128 AAC on all renditions. This means that if the video quality changes mid-stream for a VOD, the audio track is always the same.

I hope that's not too much info...

Just got me the bundle, I am happy! (Except that you didn't include Surf's Preshow, which was hilarious!)

Sounds great, as always. Thanks for your (and your group's) hard work!

Whoa... thanks for the link. So tell me why I should buy some old school remasters. For example, how would the Star '91 audio from their "greatest hits" disk differ from the masters offered on this page?

Thanks a bunch,

Alex McKinley

So far, they sound great. I just have one question ... what happened with Vanguard? I hear a lot of crackling after the pre-show that sounds like someone futzing around with the mic. It almost sounded as if someone rubbing the windscreen (assuming it had one, of course), but that was obviously not the case. I checked out the stream that's still up and the sound is on there too. Just curious what caused this.

So far, they sound great. I just have one question ... what happened with Vanguard? I hear a lot of crackling after the pre-show that sounds like someone futzing around with the mic. It almost sounded as if someone rubbing the windscreen (assuming it had one, of course), but that was obviously not the case. I checked out the stream that's still up and the sound is on there too. Just curious what caused this.

I was there in person, they had something going wrong with the speaker A LOT. It sounded like that sound when you unplug or plug in a speaker (cracks and pops", and it happened every single time they got loud. Dunno what it was.

I actually thought it might be that. I worked on the sound crew for my University's Marching Band (Western Carolina University) for two seasons and we had to deal with that from time to time. So, that makes perfect sense. Thanks!