Okay boys and girls...

It was a great opening line.

As one without a long history in drum corps he watches the shows of today without filtering them through shows of the past.

He isn't watching BD of 2012 and wishing they were like the BD of 1976 that he saw "back then"...he just watches and reacts to BD 2012 for what they are performing.

Makes sense to me.

He didn't say that at all, at least not in the line I quoted.

And you're making a bit of an assumption, aren't you? Where did I mention BD 76? I didn't.

I like SCV this year for what they are performing - today. I don't like BD this year for what they are performing - today.

It was a great opening line.

As one without a long history in drum corps he watches the shows of today without filtering them through shows of the past.

He isn't watching BD of 2012 and wishing they were like the BD of 1976 that he saw "back then"...he just watches and reacts to BD 2012 for what they are performing.

Makes sense to me.

Mike.. he's entitled to his opinion... and nobody on here gave him any grief for it ( nor should they ). The point some were raising was that his first words in his post above on this thread was that those who might be followers of the activity for awhile ( his words ) " had baggage ". Now, I don't know about you, but if you are new to a place and you begin to strike up a conversation with those that have been there for awhile do you immediately begin to make your observations on things by stating that you don't have " the baggage " the others have when you observe things for the first time ? Might it have been just a little bit more engaging for him to have used the word " perspectives "instead of " baggage " ? The use of the phrase " baggage " is sort of a pjorative knock on the others right out of the gate is it not, Mike ?

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

He didn't say that at all, at least not in the line I quoted.

IMO this line you quoted does mean what I posted:

"As a drum corps newbie, I don't have all the baggage the rest of you have."

And you're making a bit of an assumption, aren't you? Where did I mention BD 76? I didn't.

I picked a well-loved BD show as an example of BD of the past, that's all...never made an assertion that you mentioned them.

I like SCV this year for what they are performing - today. I don't like BD this year for what they are performing - today.

There are plenty of quotes in various threads that bemoan the fact that BD are not playing the type of shows they did in the past. Not accusing you of that...I have not idea if you have stated that, but there are lots of posts like that. Rocky makes the good point that for him BD of the past is not part of his experience. He doesn't watch them and wish for a different BD.

Mike.. he's entitled to his opinion... and nobody on here gave him any grief for it ( nor should they ). The point some were raising was that his first words in his post above on this thread was that those who might be followers of the activity for awhile ( his words ) " had baggage ". Now, I don't know about you, but if you are new to a place and you begin to strike up a conversation with those that have been there for awhile do you immediately begin to make your observations on things by stating that you don't have " the baggage " the others have when you observe things for the first time ? Might it have been just a little bit more engaging for him to have used the word " perspectives "instead of " baggage " ? The use of the phrase " baggage " is sort of a pjorative knock on the others right out of the gate is it not, Mike ?

"Baggage" is a word I would not use, but I think I understand his basic point, and IMO it is a good one, though maybe not said in a way to make friends, so to speak.

IMO this line you quoted does mean what I posted:

"As a drum corps newbie, I don't have all the baggage the rest of you have."

No - that post means "I'm more open minded and possibly smarter than you because I don't know any history whatsoever" and it left a bad taste in both my and Brasso's mouths, for reason's he's already explained.

My suspicion is that if I had opened with a line saying "I've been around for over 40 years so you don't know what you're talking about compared to me" I would have had a mod come down on me. And rightly so.

I picked a well-loved BD show as an example of BD of the past, that's all...never made an assertion that you mentioned them.

So - nothing to do with me then. Thanks.

There are plenty of quotes in various threads that bemoan the fact that BD are not playing the type of shows they did in the past. Not accusing you of that...I have not idea if you have stated that, but there are lots of posts like that. Rocky makes the good point that for him BD of the past is not part of his experience. He doesn't watch them and wish for a different BD.

So - nothing to do with me then. Thanks.

• Like 1

No - that post means "I'm more open minded and possibly smarter than you because I don't know any history whatsoever" and it left a bad taste in both my and Brasso's mouths, for reason's he's already explained.

My suspicion is that if I had opened with a line saying "I've been around for over 40 years so you don't know what you're talking about compared to me" I would have had a mod come down on me. And rightly so.

If there's one thing I hate more than anything else in forums...it's the tendency of people to interpret another's words to mean something that was not expressed.

If anything, I've gone to great lengths in my various posts to stress that I have very limited knowledge of Drum Corps. Therefore, in no way do I consider myself smarter than you or anyone else. Perhaps you can project less and maybe find it in yourself to address my salient point.

• Like 2

If there's one thing I hate more than anything else in forums...it's the tendency of people to interpret another's words to mean something that was not expressed.

If anything, I've gone to great lengths in my various posts to stress that I have very limited knowledge of Drum Corps. Therefore, in no way do I consider myself smarter than you or anyone else. Perhaps you can project less and maybe find it in yourself to address my salient point.

I got what you said, and I appreciate it. I think there's a lot of members of DCP that get a little jaded, whether for one thing or another, and you have a fresh take.

I just don't think those members want to hear that!

• Like 3

I still hate Miller Lite and I am waiting for Chuck to accept my invite to go mano y mano

:tongue:

• Like 1

As a drum corps newbie, I don't have all the baggage the rest of you have. I enjoyed watching the BD show in S.A. just as I enjoyed all the others.

Here's a little anecdote for y'all:

Last Sunday, during the Corps free day, my son and I went to see the I&E performances. He wanted to see the brass competitions but found that he couldn't watch them because...he is more sensitive to the playing than I am. He even remarked that he could tell that an instrument had spit in it. It served to put a damper on his enjoyment of the performances because he couldn't help but critique them. We ended up watching guard and percussion performances instead.

I don't know if it's possible for y'all to put aside your sensitivities and biases, but if you can...possibly y'all can enjoy the performances more.

Just sayin...

I&E can get really bad really fast. It's great for individuals to want to play in front of others, but they can't hide anywhere in I&E. One thing that surprised me was how few corps actually tested their members before allowing the to go. You get people who tick on their own solo in front of maybe a dozen people because of nerves. Or maybe they just aren't that good. While I'm not saying "Don't let them perform", the corps have to at least review them in front of the whole corps to get them used to playing by themselves, then give them pointers. This results in more learning and in better I&E competitions.

Just looked thru and reading "baggage" as "old opinions/memories".

Kind of like newer people on the All-Age side thinking Minnesota Brass (current champs folks) have always been top of the game. LOL I keep seeing the current corps and first thought is of them trying to make top 10 (they didn't) when I was marching and first heard of them. Second thought is "Where the Hades is Chicago Connection" - gotta be old if you get that one. :tongue:

PS - Chocolate Chip shakes suck.... (IMO)....