Does Anyone Know The Story In BK's Show?

Hi Rocky,

Are you familiar with the story of the Firebird? It's a little on the mythical side but basically, it involves freedom and transformation from tyranny, so I'm guessing that's what the corps is portraying here. At least, that's my impression. I could be totally wrong! My best advice would be to read the legend of the Firebird and decide for yourself what they are going for. That's the most fun way IMO!

I really love this show. It's just great. I didn't like it at first this season but my goodness are these kids doing a great job!

• Like 1

This is what the DCI Souvenir Yearbook that I got in S.A. says:

"Based on Russian folk tales, the dramatic work tells of a magical glowing bird that becomes both a blessing and a curse to its captor, Prince Ivan, as he moves through the magical realm of Kashchei the Immortal and encounters the strange and beautiful creatures that inhabit it. In this powerful program, Blue Knights depict the many sides of these exotic, otherworldly beings and their ultimate quest for community."

So, it appears that the story is not a retelling of the Firebird, but is about creatures (Avians) from the ballet. That's where my question come in...what, exactly, is going on with these bird-like creatures...the Avians. I do know there is a spaceship in the beginning of the show.

This is what the DCI Souvenir Yearbook that I got in S.A. says:

"Based on Russian folk tales, the dramatic work tells of a magical glowing bird that becomes both a blessing and a curse to its captor, Prince Ivan, as he moves through the magical realm of Kashchei the Immortal and encounters the strange and beautiful creatures that inhabit it. In this powerful program, Blue Knights depict the many sides of these exotic, otherworldly beings and their ultimate quest for community."

So, it appears that the story is not a retelling of the Firebird, but is about creatures (Avians) from the ballet. That's where my question come in...what, exactly, is going on with these bird-like creatures...the Avians. I do know there is a spaceship in the beginning of the show.

Do what BDAmom said to do.

I think it may be best not to over-analyze the "story" too much. Like most Drum Corps shows, I think this is meant to be somewhat abstract and allow each viewer to create their own "story." That said, I think the show, as others have pointed out, is about a transformation (appropriate considering how the corps itself is transforming this season). I was not familiar with the original story of "The Firebird," but after reading the above descriptions it seems to play into what I had been envisioning. If anybody has seen Disney's Fantasia 2000, they interpret this piece of music as a sort of "mythical Mount Saint Hellens" by showing scenes of red, flaming destruction; followed by the rebirth of a beautiful lush forest landscape. I think that's the great thing about symphonic music, it allows plenty of room for re-interpretation within the very loose bounds of the original intention.

I think it may be best not to over-analyze the "story" too much. Like most Drum Corps shows, I think this is meant to be somewhat abstract and allow each viewer to create their own "story." That said, I think the show, as others have pointed out, is about a transformation (appropriate considering how the corps itself is transforming this season). I was not familiar with the original story of "The Firebird," but after reading the above descriptions it seems to play into what I had been envisioning. If anybody has seen Disney's Fantasia 2000, they interpret this piece of music as a sort of "mythical Mount Saint Hellens" by showing scenes of red, flaming destruction; followed by the rebirth of a beautiful lush forest landscape. I think that's the great thing about symphonic music, it allows plenty of room for re-interpretation within the very loose bounds of the original intention.

Agree. I've seen the Firebird performed with motorcycles, true story. There are many interpretations and variations. Lovely source material IMO.

The birds crash land on an alien world at the beginning of the show. That's the spaceship thing and then you see it open up. As for the costume change, I can't remember why it's significant but who cares; it's GE.

The birds crash land on an alien world at the beginning of the show. That's the spaceship thing and then you see it open up. As for the costume change, I can't remember why it's significant but who cares; it's GE.

Okay...but why are they on a spaceship in the first place?

I don't know...maybe I AM trying to read too much into this show, but then again...it seems there almost HAS to be a story there. I can't believe BK would do a JABOM/M show. (Just A Bunch Of Music/Movement)

btw, I did read up on the ballet's story. I don't see a connection at all. There's no Prince, no Princesses, no evil bad guy. In fact, the only transformation in the ballet was in the end after evil bad guy is dead.

Edited by RockyGranite