Forte ends season early

Wasn't the administration at Forte involved with another drum corps that had problems?

Not the current administration but Forte's original corps director had been deeply involved with at least 2 if not 3 DCA corps that have folded/gone inactive. I am not at all surprised this happened. I never understood why DCI approved his association with a corps considering his prior failures. I guess all they could see was another corps in the lineup.

This is NOT meant to reflect poorly in any way on the current administration of Forte.

Edited by CasualFan
  • Like 3

Not to mention none of those corps went inactive or folded until AFTER Chris was gone. Seems he knows how to run an organization pretty well, but when others come in thinking that they know better, the corps go away...

• Like 6

I do think private funding might be the best avenue. I once saw a documentary about polo teams... one can imagine how expensive it would be flying horses around the world, right? Well, the teams have benefactors that pick up the expenses when all is said and done. That's what drum corps needs!

Did someone mention flying horses?

pegasus800.jpg

Boy it would be great if there really were these.... :smile:

• Like 1

It has been stated numerous times in this thread that DCI is in no way responsible for the demise of these open class corps, however my experience in the administration of an open class corps has shown the contrary. In recent years DCI has made strategic moves that made it nearly impossible to start or operate an open class organization. One example I can think of is that DCI has removed the appearance fee's that an OC would get for performing in a show. While this amount is not as great as a world class corps, it is still enough to be detrimental to an organization.

• Like 1

To Everyone in the Forte Family: August 9, 2012

It is with deep regret that I must inform you that OYAA has lost its non-profit, 501c3 charter. One of the requirements for a 501c3 is to file an IRS Form 990 which is an annual reporting return that federally tax-exempt organizations must file giving the IRS information about the organization's mission, programs, and finances. The 990 must be filed with the IRS no later than the 15th day of the 5th month after the close of the fiscal year. The 990’s for Forte and OYAA have never been filed. Pursuant to the “Pension Protection Act” passed by Congress in 2011, any non-profit or 501c3 entity that does not file their 990’s will automatically be shut down.

Once it was discovered that the 990’S had not been filed, I called the IRS office to see if we could obtain an extension. The tax office informed me of the legal consequences for not filing the form in a timely manner. Unfortunately, we were past the point for negotiation. This is the law and there was no wiggle room. As of this time, we have not received written notice from the IRS.

As Forte was the single performing ensemble under the OYAA umbrella, it was decide by a unanimous vote of the Board of Directors to permanently cease operations of Forte Drum and Bugle Corps.

It was also decided in the meeting that all assets of Forte Drum and Bugle Corps, as well as OYAA, will be liquidated and all proceeds from the sale of assets be applied to retiring debts and payment of staff member salaries. Any remaining monies will then be disbursed evenly amongst the corps members that fulfilled their dues commitments in 2012.

Sincerely,

Tom Huntley

OYAA

Board President

I am actually sickened that because someone forgot to fill out a form that has been completed annually, this corps will no longer exist. SMH

• Like 1

My father fills that form out for the museum we operate. Has done it every year since the 90's. Whoever is the corps's accountant should not have that much of a problem with it.