Forte ends season early

Sounds like several issues that are causing corps to quit early are transportation... is it gas money? bus contracts? what?

Getting ###### to see this happen... 3 TIMES in one season.

how can you blame DCI for this ...according to their sched. they started their tour on July 19th..well todays the 26th..........doesnt seem like THEY were ready to do anything...this is less than a week.......not saying the DCI model cant change BUT how about responsibility of the corps and the issues this summer is on the corps decisions

As much as I don't agree with some rule changes here and there I agree with you. It cracks me up when people start getting out the pitchforks for DCI. DCI IS the corps. It's not a death star located in Indy that controls all. :devil:

If things are outta whack, corps getting sucked under, etc they have no one to blame but themselves.

Edited by WWonka
  • Like 3

Agreed, it doesn't take a Harvard MBA to know you can't cover expenses over an 8 week (or less) tour. The idea that you would take a corps on the road betting on uncertain future fundraising is totally irresponsible. Also that your members did not have a total accounting of the financial condition of the organization they invested their money, time and emotion into is wrong.

The sustainability of drum corps faces the same challenges that all nonprofits do in this economy. Finding funding takes talent, organization and luck.

But how far are the big corps from a scenario that would have them folding their tent for a least a while? As for the members what would you suggest, open the books at practice? Disclaimer we know our corps was in red ink for years because of getting back on the field, but we never knew HOW much red ink.

Racine Scouts ended their tour earlier this summer as well.

I hope there were no age-outs there. It would probably be too late to transfer anyway at this point in the season

Yeah remembered it this morning :doh: Guess I needed some sleep.

Weird part was I posted in that thread.... :sad:

Wasn't Forte one of the corps that had to go through a review process again this year prior to being added to the schedule? What does this review involve? I would hope that the review committee is looking deep enough into the corps finances to see that after three shows they would run out of money. This is not a corps that is doing a full national tour.....regional performances followed by a short trip to Indianapolis.

• Like 1

As much as I don't agree with some rule changes here and there I agree with you. It cracks me up when people start getting out the pitchforks for DCI. DCI IS the corps. It's not a death star located in Indy that controls all. :devil:

If things are outta whack, corps getting sucked under, etc they have no one to blame but themselves.

To be fair, Forte, Teal, and Racine have very little voice in DCI's decisions about what the tour model should be. If they questioned or opposed the tour model, what difference would that have made? Yes, DCI is the corps, but it's also a separate entity. To Forte, DCI is the 50 other institutions plus the inertia of the status quo. Not only that, but DCI *is* a separate institution. DCI consists of people with lots of experience, a big-picture vantage point, connections to decision-makers in all the corps, and incentives to think about the health of DCI as a whole versus the health of individual corps. Yes, at the next board meeting the corps could change everything, but in the meantime, if Dan Acheson et al see something is going majorly wrong (and again, DCI are the ones who most likely know the most details overall about the reasons for *all* of these shutdowns), they have the power to make noise, cajole, release news, release statistics, they have lots of tools at their disposal.

As for saying the corps can only blame themselves, well, that sentiment will be cold comfort if a significant number of them fall apart in the next few years.

• Like 1

Acheson is claiming ticket sales are up 5% year over year, uh no.

Curious to see where this number is from. Higher ticket sales are good, but don't do anything directly to help struggling OC corps, unless it's a show they are sponsoring. Unlike ticket sales at ToC shows which translate directly into revenue for the participating corps.

Edited by skywhopper

If anything Forte was following the touring model that everyone seems to think will save drum corps.....a regional tour followed by a short tour towards championships......Forte was not on a full summer national tour.