Best visual design ever?

Very interesting topic to read.

On one hand you have basic design, but on the other, you have ability versus time aspect. Kids of today are in way better shape and in condition to do the drills of today. The kids (I include myself in this group) of the 80's were not of the same caliber.

So, what Garfield pulled off in the mid 80s was extremely well done for the ability of the performers of that era.(cant remember which of their championship shows was better designed, I would have to go back and watch)

*snip*

Speak for yourself pal.

You sure as hell aren't speaking for me and my team.

For the ability of the performers of that era? You have ZERO idea what you're talking about.

• Like 4

2000 cavaliers was much more interesting than the sterile 02 cavalier offering.

Geoffrey

I agree that 2000 was a great show (in fact, it is one of my favorites), but I cannot agree. I think it is easy lump the visual design with the music in 2002. Think of how many crowd reactions they got from the visual design in that show. It is almost all of them. I also think that people lumping the 02 Cavies visual and music together just show much synergy that show had... which makes it so groundbreaking.

While not a "flashy" drill design and may not get mentioned in this thread, I think 2003 Blue Devils is one of the best staged shows of all time.

I have to agree with the above statement. Whenever I consider "best" drill design it has to be in context with the music, no matter how flashy the drill is. Star '93 and Cadet's '98 aslo fit the bill for this. Come to think of so does Suncoast Sound from '88...that entire visual package was just perfect with that music!!

• Like 1

I have to agree with the above statement. Whenever I consider "best" drill design it has to be in context with the music, no matter how flashy the drill is. Star '93 and Cadet's '98 aslo fit the bill for this. Come to think of so does Suncoast Sound from '88...that entire visual package was just perfect with that music!!

Well said Paul ... and how is the wine tasting these days? Still training for the triathlon?

Looking further up .. that entire statement about ability of the performers and condition for the 80's corps .. that's bigtime rubbish. Velocities weren't the same as they are now ... but conditioning and abilities had nothing to do with it. A better argument might have been that the techniques used today weren't available back then. Why? Because we were writing the book that kids play by today. I have tremendous respect for all era's for that very reason. Without the past, we would not have today.

Add to that, the kids coming into corps now mostly come from programs that use the same techniques that corps use today. They experience that we didn't have. That has nothing to do with ability or condition. Nutrition .. that's a different story .. but that's also a lesson learned thru experience and time by the corps and their volunteers.

Edited by supersop
  • Like 1

Blue Devils 2010 was pretty darn stunning!

In a number of dimensions! :thumbup:

• Like 1

Well said Paul ... and how is the wine tasting these days? Still training for the triathlon?

Looking further up .. that entire statement about ability of the performers and condition for the 80's corps .. that's bigtime rubbish. Velocities weren't the same as they are now ... but conditioning and abilities had nothing to do with it. A better argument might have been that the techniques used today weren't available back then. Why? Because we were writing the book that kids play by today. I have tremendous respect for all era's for that very reason. Without the past, we would not have today.

Add to that, the kids coming into corps now mostly come from programs that use the same techniques that corps use today. They experience that we didn't have. That has nothing to do with ability or condition. Nutrition .. that's a different story .. but that's also a lesson learned thru experience and time by the corps and their volunteers.

Not much going on with wine or beer at this time, that will change a bit after August 19th though...Ironman Mont Tremblant. 140.6 miles is a lot to go through just to get to the beer!!!

But back to the topic...BD 2003 would probably be the first thing I would show someone that is not familiar with this activity. Accessible music with a great drill to match. Everything in the show just oozes cool and the you would be hard pressed to find a better performed show overall in any decade. If you show someone Cavies '02 or Star '93 first, they may never see another show again.

Edited by Sideways

2002 Cavies was the pinnacle of visual design and musical design. Have you guys heard the Music GE judge tape on youtube? He basically says straight up that it's the best there's been (at that point in time).

I'd like to reflect on Blue Devils 2010....

• Like 1