Drum corps/Marching Band in the Olympics

Drum corps is just so quintessentially American, but since I have been alive (meaning the Atlanta and Salt Lake City games) I don't think there has been much drum corps on display in our opening ceremonies. [Edit - I stand corrected, apparently. Can anyone find me a video of the Cadets in Atlanta? That sounds awesome.] That seems a dreadful shame, in my opinion. How great would it be if, for example, DCI worked out a deal with the Olympic Committee that the winning corps from the year prior to the Olympics got to open the Games? It would not only be a great way to display what we do at DCI, but also to display a wonderful American tradition and some awesome music, as well!

1996 Cadets perform their closer with no field markings and then do a skit with Bill Irwin. British commentary over the entire thing and they refer to the corps as a band a couple of times.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2853774795331584631

• Like 2

1996 Cadets perform their closer with no field markings and then do a skit with Bill Irwin. British commentary over the entire thing and they refer to the corps as a band a couple of times.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2853774795331584631

Ahhhh, thank you so much!

Edit - At 4:12, "There's a joke coming up..." - Uh, really? Haha, so the announcers are annoying, but that's a great video to have. Thanks!

Edited by Some Random Drummer

Marching band/drum corps is something that is fairly exclusively American. There are a few drum corps in Europe and Asia, but nothing like what they have scholastically in the US or independently with drum corps (or winter guards). I'm hoping to see some kind of brass band either at the opening or closing ceremonies for this year's Olympics, but marching arts would probably not have enough participants to qualify as an Olympic event.

Scholastically, I'm not sure; but Edinburgh, Basel, and Que City have MONSTROUS tattoos that are packed for weeks.

with the millions spent on productions I dont think a brassy 150 person ( which will seem to most ) marching band would cut it..each 4 years productions are more and more over the top. I have a friend that worked on one of the olympics productions and its intense as well as under the direction of a few who dont want suggestions...just do as I say enviorment..then get off...time factor alone is challenging for a drum corps...maybe a drum corps or MB can be used within a production...bet BD entertainment would have a handle on some of those things

I think I wasn't quite clear. I am well aware of the production that takes place for opening and closing ceremonies. i was referring to venue specific entertainment. For example, the LA olympics had bands playing at the swim stadium, and rowing, and soccer, etc. It's the type of gig that is well suited to a marching band or corps. It doesn't fall under the opening/closing musical director's purview as much as a subcontracted band thing by the organizers. And depending on which venue it can be a full show or a standstill performance.

Edited by CLD

Winterguard groups could absolutely compete in the Olympics.

I'm sure methodology has evolved along different tracks; but European Signal Corps INVENTED Drum Corps hundreds of years ago. Check out one of the corps from Basel Switzerland. Just snares, bases, and a small guard, but they DO pageantry.

Winterguard groups could absolutely compete in the Olympics.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..........hard enough to get people within our activity to be serious at times let alone on that level or to get others to view it that way............if it were to compete on a world level..and thats what it would have to be not just the US....ya better have some darn serious people involved and tons of money and sponsors

Edited by GUARDLING

Um, have you seen any of the marching bands or drum corps to come out of Japan? I'm pretty much they could wipe the floor with most marching band and some drum corps programs.

I think the Philippines have gotten pretty into the whole drum corps thing, or so I've been hearing.

And DCE is doing pretty well for itself, there are corps from all over Europe that compete in that.

The mere fact that just america alone doesn't have great programs would be a great basis for a "pro" in the idea of having a competitiong between countries. But then, just like in any sport, there would be events leading up to the decision of which corps (singular or plural) would go off to compete internationally (olympics, not internationally dci). Who knows...maybe that's the answer everyone is looking for to get more people to become fans, as it were.

For some reason though, I have a feeling it won't be considered in our lifetime...not more than opening ceremonies, which is still a great involvement though! :thumbup:

Well, the opening ceremonies are tomorrow, and the closing ceremonies will be on August 12. That would line up pretty well with the DCI tour actually, since a corps could perform at both opening and closing ceremonies without missing much or any of tour

Is it just me, or are the summer games a little later than they have been in years past? I think that usually the Olympics start in early July...I may just not be remembering correctly though. :whatsthat: