Murfreesboro Mussitations

Were these new judges sheets supposed to make the spread b/w corps bigger? Because it seems like that's exactly what they're doing. At this show last year the difference between 1st and 4th was only 1.8 pts and this year it's 4.95! Regardless of my opinions about any of the corps' shows, it seems like a HUGE gap that shouldn't be that big.

No, the sheets aren't designed to make spreads large or small. The spreads you see seem pretty accurate to me. I think There's a pretty large performance gap between the top two and the rest of the field. To be honest, I think Devils and Crown should be even further ahead than they currently are.

Do you think it hurt Cadets and Phantom going on so early or what?

Nope. Both Crown and Devils have gone on first or close to first, and it hasn't hurt them. Performance order doesn't seem to matter much at TOC shows.

• Like 1

I didn't think I sounded conceited or snobby. (Now I could make a comment about your spelling if I wanted to be snobby. :tongue:) I don't totally get all the ins and outs of the show, but I admire their amazing talent and skill.

You made a comment about my iPhones autocorrect spelling.... Snooty.

And you don't think that saying BD is fine wine and if you don't like it you simply don't appreciate finer things like high art doesn't sound snobby? It sounded very very snobby. Now your comment admiring their talent and skill doesn't sound that way. Learn the difference.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 2

You made a comment about my iPhones autocorrect spelling.... Snooty.

And you don't think that saying BD is fine wine and if you don't like it you simply don't appreciate finer things like high art doesn't sound snobby? It sounded very very snobby. Now your comment admiring their talent and skill doesn't sound that way. Learn the difference.

Careful complaining about your iPhone's spelling... No one is here to defend Apple. :tongue: "learn the difference" sounds a bit snobby.

BTW, anyone can dislike BD's show and still "get it." In fact, you can dislike the corp and "get it." Since they are the most winning corp in DCI history, there are bound to be a ton of people hoping, wishing, rooting, and praying for a loss. It is only human nature. And it is human nature for BD fans to react in kind. BD expects hostile crowds in a lot of venues. Even C-Corp expects it at times. Unfortunately, some fans just have to express their hostility...

Personally, there are several corps that I don't like because I don't like seeing their shows a second time. Nothing changes, and they are extremely predictable. Since I favor high performance, coupled with some unpredictability, I like BD, and then Phantom/Cadet. Crown can be very entertaining, but year in and year out, the three that I like the best are BD, Phantom and Cadet.

Edited by ajwdad
  • Like 1

After the fun drive home (and reading this thread) I have a few show comments to make.

1) The TOC format without encores from each corps runs much smoother, and there was very little downtime between corps.

2) There were a lot of people in those stands, and only about 20-30% were above the age of 30. These shows are apparently hot with the kiddies (a lot of high school bands came as groups as well).

3) All corps were entertaining, and I'm glad that there was no mass exodus from the stands during corps that people might not have liked the most.

4) Blue Devils and Crown could have gone either way. I think the judges called it right from what I saw tonight. However, I don't know what group of numbskulls decided it would be fun to boo Blue Devils during the scores, but that is simply too rude. Those kids deserve nothing but applause. If you don't like it, golf clap, but don't boo a bunch of kids who are working their tails off.

5) I had SCV and Cadets flipped in scores, but the judges saw it differently. I also would have put Phantom above 90. That ending is hot.

6) Every bit of what I saw gives me hope for the progression of drum corps into this decade. There are weird shows like Blue Devils (abstract, arty, love it or hate it), shows that appeal to the younger crowds like The Cavaliers, and there are shows that are just straight up old school drum corps like Crown (surprising lack of body movements from what I saw; mostly just marching and playing). But, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

7) I like BAC's shirts this year.

• Like 1

After the fun drive home (and reading this thread) I have a few show comments to make.

1) The TOC format without encores from each corps runs much smoother, and there was very little downtime between corps.

2) There were a lot of people in those stands, and only about 20-30% were above the age of 30. These shows are apparently hot with the kiddies (a lot of high school bands came as groups as well).

3) All corps were entertaining, and I'm glad that there was no mass exodus from the stands during corps that people might not have liked the most.

4) Blue Devils and Crown could have gone either way. I think the judges called it right from what I saw tonight. However, I don't know what group of numbskulls decided it would be fun to boo Blue Devils during the scores, but that is simply too rude. Those kids deserve nothing but applause. If you don't like it, golf clap, but don't boo a bunch of kids who are working their tails off.

5) I had SCV and Cadets flipped in scores, but the judges saw it differently. I also would have put Phantom above 90. That ending is hot.

6) Every bit of what I saw gives me hope for the progression of drum corps into this decade. There are weird shows like Blue Devils (abstract, arty, love it or hate it), shows that appeal to the younger crowds like The Cavaliers, and there are shows that are just straight up old school drum corps like Crown (surprising lack of body movements from what I saw; mostly just marching and playing). But, there is something for everyone to enjoy.

7) I like BAC's shirts this year.

Great post! :worthy:

well maybe dallas was wrong? or tonight

um no they were even 16.8 at SA 17.2 Dallas...so I still call BULLSHXX on a 15.9 tonight...

I'm pretty sure that your observation and evaluation that they have a "show design flaw" isn't quite the level of interest to them if they remain undefeated and win yet another DCI Title.

Of course they don't give a flying flip what I think. I never asserted that they did or should. I do think DCI as a whole should care.

I really am not blown over by this year's show from them either. They are not even in my top 8 favorite shows for the year. But I recognize the greatness there and wouldn't say their show has a serious "design flaw" just because its not my cup of tea in a Drum Caorps show.

This show *is* my cup of tea! I like it! It is in my top 8! But it's not connecting with large portions of the audience despite the fact that the performers are executing the crap out of it. Either their designers don't care about entertaining typical drum corps crowds, or they failed at their attempt. But whichever explanation is right, it's still a flaw in their design, unless you think the audience's reaction isn't important.

I'm not one to usually complain about scores...but I call BULSHXX on BAC guard scores...sorry I don't buy it!

Boston guard should be in the top 3.