Soooo...what's changed in 2012 with the new scoring system?

So here we are less than 2 weeks from the 2012 season being history. The new scoring system has been used at hundreds of shows and I have to ask...what has changed?

Would the rankings be any different with last year's system? I see that maybe the scores are a little lower than last year at this point, but have sheets caused a change in the rankings?

I recall an early edition "Field Pass" this year, shortly after one of the judge's training sessions, where the comment was made that the new system/sheets would change the activity for decades to come.

A tremendous amount of time, effort and expense was put into this change...so I have to ask:

WHAT HAS CHANGED? (other than sheets going from portrait to landscape)

ARE THE CHANGES WORTHY OF THE TIME,EFFORT, COST?

WILL IT TAKE MORE THAN ONE SEASON TO REALIZE ANY CHANGES? (if so, why later and not now.)

Maybe this is something only those in the judging community or the corps themselves can answer, but that's never stopped us from speculating on DCP before and shouldn't now :devil:

Opinions welcome, but PLEASE do not turn this into yet another thread to express how much you may like or HATE any specific corps show. Thanks

Same as it ever was.

• Like 2

So here we are less than 2 weeks from the 2012 season being history. The new scoring system has been used at hundreds of shows and I have to ask...what has changed?

Would the rankings be any different with last year's system? I see that maybe the scores are a little lower than last year at this point, but have sheets caused a change in the rankings?

I recall an early edition "Field Pass" this year, shortly after one of the judge's training sessions, where the comment was made that the new system/sheets would change the activity for decades to come.

A tremendous amount of time, effort and expense was put into this change...so I have to ask:

WHAT HAS CHANGED? (other than sheets going from portrait to landscape)

ARE THE CHANGES WORTHY OF THE TIME,EFFORT, COST?

WILL IT TAKE MORE THAN ONE SEASON TO REALIZE ANY CHANGES? (if so, why later and not now.)

Maybe this is something only those in the judging community or the corps themselves can answer, but that's never stopped us from speculating on DCP before and shouldn't now :devil:

Opinions welcome, but PLEASE do not turn this into yet another thread to express how much you may like or HATE any specific corps show. Thanks

My guess, you've made your mind up that " nothing has changed " fundamentally with the new scoring sheets. Its just a wild guess.

I was looking back at the DCI news articles from when the sheets were being designed, approved, and released. Cesario's common theme is making the sheets easier for fans to understand, so that fans could see why a particular corps was winning.

Another goal mentioned was to encourage the corps to "be themselves" or find a unique voice for their corps, with the idea being that the sheets would be open to whatever that means now and into the future.

And one more goal that was mentioned was cleaning up the language to change things that no longer "meant the same thing" as they did 20 years ago when most of the language on the sheets was written.

Oh, and they changed from portrait to landscape, which was deemed important enough a detail that it made the DCI news report.

One thing that's critical here is that, while the committee to revise the sheets was taken up after the Scouts proposed a new "Entertainment Effect" caption be added to the scores. That proposal was tabled to allow this process to take place. I think because of that a lot of folks had the idea that "entertainment" was going to be a factor on the sheets, and I've seen that come up in past discussions, but looking back at what Cesario said and what's on the sheets, it was never part of the plan.

Personally, my instinct is that the new sheets didn't have an effect on how the captions are actually judged. Rather, I suspect what really happened was that they formalized the way the sheets were already being used, despite some outdated language (which was changed) and some clarification was made to avoid penalizing corps who felt the sheets were punishing them for their style rather than crediting them for their achievement, whatever form it takes.

So, maybe now corps feel freer to do things their own way, but I don't think the scores are that much different than they would otherwise have been.

Nothing's changed. But the score sheets have fancier words now, so I guess it helps the judges feel smarter by making them feel like they understand what they mean.

devil.gif

My guess, you've made your mind up that " nothing has changed " fundamentally with the new scoring sheets. Its just a wild guess.

Rather than attacking the position of the OP why don't you try to explain what has changed?

• Like 2