Booing scores/winners

:offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic: :offtopic:

It was sort of On Topic because it was established that booing was ok if it was directed at the paid pros (such as paid designers and staff in drum corps) and we were debating if those designers were pro and paid enough to get booed :smile:

Yes. I believe that the directors for SCV and BD are CEOs, not just directors. So they run not only the corps, but oversee all of the community programs, and operations of the corps, plus the fundraising programs for those corps. So they make much more because of their increased responsibilities.

I think many directors actually hold jobs in the off-season, many are teachers, which still grants them summers off

That would make sense.

Ok then; since it has now been accepted by jasgre2000 that there are many paid "pros" in DCI who are directorial, design, and instructional, can I give some of them a big ole boooooooooooo now? Please, please, please!

DeGrauwe wasn't their director in 2007. I didn't look at all the 990s. There are several that show the director with a $0 salary.

It's likely far more complicated than you realize. There may be other corporations involved who pay DeGrauwe, or he may receive payment for other services he provides to Cavaliers outside the legally mandated "director" position, for which he receives no "salary". Unless you've done some non-profit tax accounting or served on the board of a non-profit, you probably aren't qualified to make sense out of the 990s, so I would suggest ignoring them.

(I'm certainly not qualified. I have merely glimpsed the complex structure of many large non-profits via my wife who *is* in fact a tax accountant who *has* spent many years on the board of a non-profit. And hearing her explain how things work and how many different options exist to structure the finances of these often multi-tiered beasts we tend to think of as single entities made me realize that not only will I never understand it, but that I never want to.)

You can rest assured that these corps with million-dollar-plus budgets who have won many championships do manage to pay their staff well for the extremely high-demand and rare services and skills they provide.

Edited by skywhopper

I wasn't booing at San Antonio. I was say Boo-Urns!

But seriously. Get over it. It's a competitive sport. I cheered wildly for the BD I grew up loving and boo when I think they're winning with a show lots and lots of people hate. Maybe people wouldn't boo if BD pretended like they care people don't like their show. I don't know how many times I've heard from fans/alum/CMMs of BD that they don't give 2 ####s about if the crowd boos them or not. Maybe they should. Being awesome performers (which they are) and making a crowd go crazy are not mutually exclusive ideas.

i dont think booing means much and never have myself and BITD a few times it happened where i marched it was fine ..especially why I could wave a trophy or medal infront of a booers face and tick them off all the more BUT....question is how would people feel if the booing was at Surf....Boston,,,,SOA or anyone else for that matter..ok cadets dont count they have been there.....I would think some would go into a rage if someone here came out and BOOED lets SAY SOA for a cheezy show...( not saying that to them just an example )cant say ones a pro older etc etc..these kids are all about the same age so it doesnt matter if its BD or PIO

I do have to confess that it looks like I was wrong. I went back and looked at some 990s, and it looks like the directors of the top corps (SCV, Phantom, Cadets, etc.) are paid a salary, though the salaries vary quite a bit ($60k for Phantom director; $45k for BAC director; $110k for SCV director). Some of the less financially successful corps do not report a salary for their directors.

I apologize for misleading people.

No reason to apologize as you weren't misleading any of us. We all knew you were wrong.

• Like 2

My bad, sorry. :smile:

Edited by Tricia-A BD/BK Mom

Yeah, being booed sucks but that's what's great about being with a bunch of your friends on the field. You're like soldiers in war, "fighting" the audience- trying to convince them to like your show by selling the HELL out of it, emotionally draining as that is... and you can't look back lest you get all wrapped up in other people's opinions about you and your show.

Edited by Barifonium