Booing scores/winners

There’ve been a lot of changes over the last few years. I remember finals in ’02; the Cadets did a show, “Revival” in tribute to 9/11. My goodness, some fans thought they were pandering. How do you think those kids felt? Across the street from the University of Wisconsin’s Camp Randall Stadium sits a station of the Madison Fire Department. Upon receiving the signal, sirens on fire trucks and flashing lights announced solidarity with the firemen’s brethren in NYC on finals night. Well, needless to say every fan of every other corps went crazy because they felt it was an unfair advantage. Do you know how I remember that so well; my son was a Blue Devil. The Cadet’s took 3rd but that didn’t stop drum corps wars, I was in the stands I thought it was cool. I had no idea how crazy mad people were until I got home and looked at my computer. I still don’t know if it was legal or not? Ten years later I still remember it and I still think it was a great move.

Don't forget the booing and lack of response when Cadets said "under God"...

We have been doing that since 1968 with the Maple Leafs!

Philly fans have been doing it since each team was created

• Like 1

Judges are not help accountable to the audience - thus people "boo." If and when judges mess up - depending in the time of the season - their fate may be sealed and they will not advance to judge during finals week. That is also why - quite often - judges in Quarters and Semis will post "10's" - putting the burden on the following judges to agree - or disagree with their marks. All judges routinely read and review recaps from previous shows. The marks either validate their own prejudice, or erase it.

Remember - the judges are evaluating the performance using the rules and sheets authorized and approved by the DCI Board of Directors. It's not like the member corps are not aware of the criteria - but it might be the individual judges' interpretation that skews things.

OK, I just thought about it. Your contention is that Al Chez would be a qualified music judge because he marched Cadets, but Doc Severinsen or Jon Faddis, because they did not march, are by that very fact alone, no mater what else they have accomplished, unqualified to judge music. The ball is in back in your court to defend your position; think about that.

I know of one brass judge from waaay back in the 60's through "forever" who is in the DC Hall of Fame. This person never marched corps...and his primary instrument was percussion, with a focus on timpani.

just because we can do something doesnt mean we should

I wonder if you believe that way in other endeavors. If the government passes a law that you don't agree with, do you keep quiet about it because being vocal might be rude and hurt the feelings of those in government? If your local school district makes a decision that you don't like, do you keep quiet? I mean it might hurt the feelings of those who made the decision?

I'm hoping your answer to that is that you do speak up since an active, vocal electorate is part of citizenship.

If you pay money for a movie that sucks, do you not spread the word--even on the web? I mean the people who made the movie might have their feelings hurt by that. They worked very hard on that lousy movie.

The majority of marching members of the top corps are 18 or over. That makes them adults and not kids.

double post...never happened to me before....I think God is trying to make a point! tongue.gif

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

it'a c ompetitive activity with a passionate fan base. Like sports, people will be critics.

No offense, but this "we must uiniversally love everyone" ######## needs to go away.

Little Johnny isn't going to be universally applauded when they walk into work every day as an adult.

Corps say kids learn life lessons, well here's one......not everything you do will get you special stickers and people jumping up and down for you.

accept it, and move on.

Look at it this way...if the Phillies get rained out, the fans go to the airport and boo bad landings. Now there's something to be upset about. Little Johnnys drum corps show not being universally loved is minor in the grand scheme of things

I'm no longer railing against the graceless and desperate, let them boo if they must, but.......if DCI is around in 18 years Jeff, ....and your youngin' is marching and you are in the audience (as I know you'll be) and these blockheads sitting next to you boo her (for scores or whatever), your view will be a taint different....I promise.