Why is there no major DCI show in the west?

I would like to mention one thing about Left Coast DCI shows . . . whether it's the Bluecoats, Phantom, Cadets or whomever . . . the out of area corps are greeted with open arms and huge standing ovations.

We are not ingorant to the effort and sacrifice that those corps made to come out here. Even if they are the archrival, they will be shown nothing but love. Honestly, how much could we hate on the Cadets, for instance, when two of my Blue Devil buddys, Gino Cipriani and Steve Bentley, are their horn instructors.

Maybe BD, SCV, et al should stop going to the Southeast shows for a few years. At least thats how I feel about it. But I admit that I'm in a bad mood because of some of the crap I've been reading on DCP FB page.

• Like 1

What about Autzen or Husky stadiums? They would be fine. It doesn't have to be a pro stadium.

I thought about Autzen, but the last show there was a disaster.Husky staduium is OK, but anything in Seattle causes difficult housing issues if more than a couple of corps and a very isolated fan base. Although, there was a show in the Seahawks stadium when it first opened that seemed fairly full. It is a huge financial risk considering attendance the last few years in the NW. OF course, no CA corps made it up this year and SCVC came up the ear before. IT is hard to fill a stadium with only 5 corps.

I thought about Autzen, but the last show there was a disaster.Husky staduium is OK, but anything in Seattle causes difficult housing issues if more than a couple of corps and a very isolated fan base. Although, there was a show in the Seahawks stadium when it first opened that seemed fairly full. It is a huge financial risk considering attendance the last few years in the NW. OF course, no CA corps made it up this year and SCVC came up the ear before. IT is hard to fill a stadium with only 5 corps.

True story. The last time SCV came up to the Northwest was 2009, and I think BD was 2008? I know Boston went this year, and Blue Knights go up there most years. It's because the SoCal shows are usually the same weekend, and attract much bigger crowds and more money.

Trying to find a school in the Seattle area sucked, we had to stay over in Everett, but it did afford us a great stadium with the same kind of overhang the stadium had.

How is that any different than western corps having to go east and then back west to get home?

it's not. But they'd have you believe it's a huge issue.

• Like 3

Better yet, how about corps stay in their regions for the first half of the season and become a bit more fiscally prudent?

Build up the local shows, create a stronger base of shows for the smaller corps and enhance the financial well being of the activity.....

Denver used to be a pretty major "regional", even if it didn't feature the whole of world class. You'd get at least two or three corps to travel that far, even if they went no further. While that's probably not as far west as you or I might want them to go, it was a start.

Now it's just the corps out west using Denver as a stopover (and the occasional Phantom/Boston that did the California tour).

Its about 1370 miles from Seattle (where I live) to Denver. Its about 1301 miles from Allentown, PA to Wichita, KS. Would you suggest to someone in Pennsylvania that they should be content that the closest show is in Wichita?

• Like 3

I would like to mention one thing about Left Coast DCI shows . . . whether it's the Bluecoats, Phantom, Cadets or whomever . . . the out of area corps are greeted with open arms and huge standing ovations.

We are not ingorant to the effort and sacrifice that those corps made to come out here. Even if they are the archrival, they will be shown nothing but love. Honestly, how much could we hate on the Cadets, for instance, when two of my Blue Devil buddys, Gino Cipriani and Steve Bentley, are their horn instructors.

Maybe BD, SCV, et al should stop going to the Southeast shows for a few years. At least thats how I feel about it. But I admit that I'm in a bad mood because of some of the crap I've been reading on DCP FB page.

Yes, you West Coasters have much to be proud of. It's a proven fact that you would never, ever, ever, ever boo a corps for any reason. Not like us nasty easterners!

Seriously, I wish there could be a Cali finals. Not too often, maybe something like every five years. Sending two eastern corps out there each season is a good start, but it would be nice to give a little something back to part of the country that's punched well above its weight, drum corps wise. It'll never happen though.

• Like 4

Its about 1370 miles from Seattle (where I live) to Denver. Its about 1301 miles from Allentown, PA to Wichita, KS. Would you suggest to someone in Pennsylvania that they should be content that the closest show is in Wichita?

Salt Lake has a show that was equivalent to Denver this year. The problem is that neither the Salt Lake show or the Denver show is anything like the eastern regional shows.

The correct comparison is Seattle to Minneapolis (the first regional), which is 1665 miles and Allentown to ... well Allentown (which is 0 miles, in case that wasn't obvious).

Edited by jasgre2000

I think we are going in circles here. You make an argument ... I poke a whole in it ... you make a different argument ... I poke a whole in that one too ... you go back to the first argument.

This isn't fun anymore.

Actually, it's more like this: You make an argument. EVERY other person in this thread explains why your argument, while understandable, is unattainable. Then you ignore EVERY other person in this thread and re-iterate your argument.

You have suggested that the East Coast corps "do a better job" raising money / preparing so that they can go out west every year. How 'bout this: YOU do a better job, raise some money, and fly out to San Antonio, Atlanta, Allentown or Indy? Because I guarantee you that it would cost a LOT less for you to do this. :tongue:

• Like 2

Why would you read that page? It's non-moderated shlock. You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.

:devil:

• Like 1