Do you hate it when people yell "random" stuff in the middle o

Random Yelling  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you hate it when people yell "random" stuff in the middle of a show?

• Yes, Hate it
    • Yes, but just dislike it
    • No
    • Doesn't bother me either way.
  2. 2. What do you think of a no-crowd recording--a supplemental dvd, not a replacement.?

• Like it!
    • Don't like it!
    • Either way is fine.

Lward give me strength

So it’s art when the Blue Devils blast French gibberish in the middle of a show but when a fan yells, it’s the ultimate evil

Mmmmm, k

I like a live sounding recording of a live event, warts and all…DCI finals video is a document of finals night (which is why I hate post –production edits)

If a corps wants to do their own ‘pristine’ (like really, I mean come on, it's drum corps you know, not the CSO) recording whatever

The problem with DCI is that it seems like some corps design their shows for a DVD to be recorded not in front of an audience

• Like 1

Perhaps DCI should address this issue in the programs. I usually see a blurb about audience behavior but it never seems to address this topic. Maybe they could add a blurb like "please refrain from yelling performers names as it is a distraction to the performers and the audience members around you."

idiot yells as I call them suck, but hearing a show with no fan reactions sucks worse.

and I'm not talking about golf claps

:tongue:

Perhaps DCI should address this issue in the programs. I usually see a blurb about audience behavior but it never seems to address this topic. Maybe they could add a blurb like "please refrain from yelling performers names as it is a distraction to the performers and the audience members around you."

That would work about as well as DCI printed requests and announcements to not record the shows.

• Like 1

"Go Gahhhfieeee"

"TAKE EM TO THE BEACH SUNCOAST!!!"

Classic yells from back in the day. Still makes me smile.

But a little off topic. I really am not liking when the stadium announcer times his (Dan Potts for example) delivery of the performing corps on the field right before a big hit in the music. It just really takes away the enjoyment of the opening set for me, especially if it's the first time to see the corps. "From Concord, CA...........THE BLUE DEVILS!" BAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

The noise and the excitement and at times, comments from the crowd are part of what make a show a show. A drum corps show is not an evening at the opera or symphony. Crowd excitement is to be expected. That being said, no comment should ever be so loud or disruptive that it interferes with a corps' performance or the entertainment of the people in the stands and it's my guess that this is this is what the original poster has in mind. Rude, boorish behavior would never be acceptable.

As far as studio recordings or performances without an audience, I suppose it's a matter of taste, but I'm not so sure either would be effective. The audience and atmosphere are both part of the show. I can remember watching Star of Indiana when they visited Boston at some point in the 90's. They did a dry run with uniforms and I was not impressed. When I saw them later that evening it was a different experience.

Edited by Tim K

There are corps that do studio recordings every year, and some make them available to the public. I think Crown, BD, and SCV all do this, and I'm sure there are others. I like to get a hold of those, because the quality is usually a bit higher than you get on the Finals CD

The shouts don't bother me usually. As cowtown says, it's much than the corps themselves talking over the music.

I like studio recordings early in the season when the corps play sloppier on the field but I need to get familiar with the music. But by the end, I want to hear it complete with the audience. Hearing the cheers greatly increases my enjoyment of the recording.