If You Could See any Three Sr/All-Age Shows

:ph34r:

Lots of great ones listed here...

My top 3 would be...

'75 Skyliners (wanted to see a 13 man snareline hearing the best snares were playing bass)

and just because it's Sky.

'80 Buccaneers - saw the '79 show from backfield at DCA..Hearing the '80 show was better

'69 Yankee Rebels - heard stories from MBI founders that were there at Legion

honorable mention to '72 DCA - the 2 or 3 snippets on Y**T*** make me want to see that whole show!!!

Pat

:ph34r:

Lots of great ones listed here...

My top 3 would be...

'75 Skyliners (wanted to see a 13 man snareline hearing the best snares were playing bass)

and just because it's Sky.

'80 Buccaneers - saw the '79 show from backfield at DCA..Hearing the '80 show was better

'69 Yankee Rebels - heard stories from MBI founders that were there at Legion

honorable mention to '72 DCA - the 2 or 3 snippets on Y**T*** make me want to see that whole show!!!

Pat

I marched 75 Sky, I can tell you the best snares played snare, not sure where you heard that story.

Edited by Fastone

Many of my choices have already been listed but here we go:

1. 1980 Buccaneers at DCA - Simply imho the best Senior Corps ever

2. Skyliners at the 1971 Dream - The loudest crowd reaction I've ever heard or seen at a Drum Corps Show and I first marched in 1967. They tore the house down that day and this is probably my all time favorite performance by any Senior Corps ever!!!

3. My last choice was not a competition because it got rained out but I'll go with the infamous 1979 Wet Dream. Just for sheer laughs watching Sun perform still brings a smile to my face.

I know the op said only 3 but:

4. The whole finals performance of everybody at the 1972 DCA Finals. Imho the most competitive finals ever. Any one of the top 5 would have been a worthy champion

Edited by Bucbari
  • Like 1

I would've loved to see the Renegades Trilogy live.

I'm with the people who said '92 Bush prelims. OMG great.

'97 Cabs. In it, Never saw it.

2012 Reading at finals. Oh wait, I will see that rolleyes.gif

I have to give another "Honorable Mention" to:

1986 Bushwackers

Yes...I saw it live, but I would LOVE to see it again. Their closer of "Aires Eyes" is probably my all time favorite closer, and when they got to the hit at the end, I knew it was over for Cabs and Steel City. That 86 Bushwacker Corps was truly an amazing corps!

:smile:

Thanks Frank!

[quote name='Donny Drum Corps' timestamp='1343996997' post='319292

To Jaybo...That was right after ES got swallowed by that huge flag. I couldnt believe my eyes ir ears either in 1992.

:tongue:

That was some prelims!!

Jay

• 6 months later...

My two favorites were

Skyliners in 1970. I had the 1964 Barnum Festival album for years and first saw the Sky at DCA in 1970. I was with Boys of 76. We were staying in the same hotel, but they hadn't arrived. I stood out front and waited for them to come in. Suddenly a guy wearing a Sky uniform rides in on a motorcycle with his horn case and shako tied behind him. He got off the cycle, put on his shako, pulled out his soprano and played the four note "New York New York", then went inside. What a hoot.

Skyliners in 1972. Man, what power and range. Overall, the 72 DCA show was unbelievable. So many huge, powerful corps. I don't think I ever saw anything like it again.

And even though I was from Racine, I missed the 72 performances in Horlick Field. I was on my way to VFW in the twin cities and missed it.

and the one corps I'd love to see again: Men of Brass in 1963. Tru Crawford as soloist. They were miles beyond anyone else in rep. A great thrill.

• Like 1

"Three Amigos":

Number one isn't a competition show at all. 1962 at the Bostone Garden "Double Eliminator" junor show hosted by DCN. The Hawthorne Caballeros post show exibition ABSOULTLY "Blew the place apart". Of all their great performances this is the ONE spectacular show that is STILL "Numero Uno" in my memory.

1963 New York Skyliners at the Barnum. FINALLY put an end to Hawthornes' almost two year UD streak. "Sky" was magnificent.

1969 (Tie): Connecticut Hurricanes and Baltimore Yankee Rebels at the Dream. Yankee Rebels "Requiem" had the contest won until Ray Ludees incredible drumline's performace took the Hurricanes past the Reb's by ONE TENTH of a point. two truly fantastic performances.....

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01
  • Like 1

Three off the top of my head...

1977 Rhode Island Matadors, at the Madison Square Garden show. I saw it that night... would love to see it again. One of the most electrifying performances ever. The Mats #### near tore the roof off the Garden that night. "Roaring standing ovations" would be an understatement of the audience's reaction to that performance.

1978 Sunrisers, at the Bridgeport show the weekend before DCA Championships. IMO, the best performance the corps did during my six seasons there, and, again IMO, arguably the best performance in the history of the Sunrisers. We had a great corps in 1978... and that night, we were absolutely, positively on fire. Forget about hitting on all eight cylinders... that night, we were hitting on 20 cylinders. LOL

1992 Bushwackers at DCA Prelims. It's been discussed here on DCP before. An incredible, flawless performance.

OK... 3A... LOL... a show I didn't see, but would love to: 1969 Yankee Rebels. Their "Requiem for an Era" production was innovative, historic, groundbreaking... not enough words to describe it.

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Like 1