Get Surf in Theaters!

Who gets to tell the other 15 corps that they aren't entertaining?

I certainly will take a pass on that task.

Me vs. 1,500-plus corps members = not good odds of survival. :tongue:

I certainly will take a pass on that task.

Me vs. 1,500-plus corps members = not good odds of survival. :tongue:

I've said it before, but it bears repeating...the fact that a show is or is not entertaining doesn't have a whole lot to do with the corps members performing-they're doing what they're supposed to be doing with what they've been given. It has more to do with the corps directors and staff for those 15 other corps who chose those themes, designs and musical selections for their members this year. And if I am spending my hard earned $ to be entertained and I'm not, I'll let my wallet speak for me.

I am sure BD will give up their spot for Surf, after all BD sets the bar for enertainment. The new sheets are a joke since they did not resolve the problem.

I thought The BD show was the most entertaining show on friday night. and although Surf is entertaining also it is a different kind of entertaining. I loved surfs show and hope they continue in that style next year, but one thing that made Bridgemen great back in the day was not just that they were doing funny stuff, they also had a top notch horn and drum line. Surf needs to clean it up and then they will move up in the standings.

I don't know about you, but when I pay $18 to see something at a MOVIE THEATER this is essentially NOT LIVE (at least live in front of this particular audience), I EXPECT TO BE ENTERTAINED!

If it is only all about placement, why bother putting in the theaters nationwide? If people wanted to watch the real thing (and let's face it--- some of the top rated shows ARE boring, or God Forbid totally "I don't get it", then it behooves both DCI and the theaters to put some entertainment on the schedule that makes people stand and cheer (and it IS a lot of kids for whom $18 represents an entire week of babysitting or grass cutting).

I'd rather add a performance that is genuinely FUN and risk some snarky comments from other corps than deny the Surf their applause that nearly EVERYONE who commented admits is their due this year.

Actually the prelims/quarterfinals broadcast on thursday night is live. it is the last 15 corps to compete as it happens on thursday. and those 15 got those performance slots based on performance/competition throughout the year. In order for Surf to be on the live broadcast they need to improve their whole performance and not just the entertainment aspect. Marching & playing need to come up a few levels in order for them to be in the top 15 corps come finals week.

I guess I'd like to see OC now tomorrow night...seeing how the out scored the Surf.

You see how funny things can sound once everything pans out......

I dunno... loved OC, think that they scored right. Still think it would have been cool to see Surf on the big screen. Judging from (admittedly anecdotal) things I have heard about theater audience reactions to Surf's highlight clip, it may have been a good thing! Also, I was in Allentown and SAW the crowd response to Surf... as the second competing corps of the evening. It's not all about the scores, you know.

Don't see how anything sounds funny though...

• Like 1

By the way, Surf, up to the corps director, knows why they didn't make the broadcast. They were not in 15th. They improved quite a bit this year though, and hopefully can keep the momentum going for next year, while building off of the goodwill that they EARNED this year.

Went to Allentown last night....Surf got far and away the biggest applause of the night. Even more with encore with the Bridgemen. DCI needs to include them in Big Loud Live this Thurs or they are missing a golde opportunity to get thousands of fans (and lots of potential drum corps members!) in the theaters. They rocked the stadium (too early in the evening, too, which is also too bad for everyone!) LOVE LOVE LOVE the Jersey Surf!!!!!!!!!!

Way to get Surf in theaters for Big Loud Live:

Surf= PLAY, MARCH & SPIN BETTER!!

simple as that. The best corps are in the theater broadcast. Surf is not executing anywhere near the best corps. When they start doing that, they'll be in theaters

• Like 2

Surf does have room to grow. They are a young corps with few veterans. They may not be top 15 by scores but they are by far the most FUN!