Why cant the Cavaliers pull ahead?

Personally, I think the Cavies staff knew that this would be a transition year. For starters they had 50% return rate going into the season. Im not sure Michael Gaines taking the season off was a planned thing or if it was logistics (good to give the guy some time off while the corps was introducing the new blood). Hopefully (please,please,please) he comes back next season with some brilliant show design.

Everyone keeps saying the staff let the corps down. I don't agree with that. I think the only thing they are guilty of is underestimating a few other corps that are in front of them. I really think they thought this would be a 4th/5th place show, but didnt realize phantom/coats and scv would bring such quality designs this year.

Is is their best show design...NO. But I do find it very entertaining and refreshing. While there are many great corps this summer, I do feel like there is also alot of regurgitated show designs/music. Both of which the Cavies are not.

Edited by GREENBLUE
  • Like 2

The corps ahead of them are better. Pretty simple explanation. They're also going through a staff change, losing one of the best visual designers in the activity, and doing a show that is off the beaten path from their normal style. They'll be back. Never fret, kiddies.

This "don't worry, be happy" attitude is completely off base. The members pay money for their experience. They don't get paid to be placed in the context of a bad experiment. This is a corps that has not been out of the top 5 in over a decade. Members come into the corps counting on this tradition of excellence. The year is nothing but bad staff choices. If they want to experiment, there are other corps these staff can go to.

It is not a simple explanation. It is bad design, which leads to bad everything else. If nothing else, the Cavies should have tried to get the best they could after Gaines and others left, not settle. I know the Cavies will be back in form soon, but it should never come at the expense of the members' experiences.

• Like 1

Despite what's happening with the corps right now, the Cavaliers are still a higher caliber corps (and still top 3) than both boston AND scouts. Last time Scouts had a staff change, they completely fell off the grid. Same thing with Phantom. Cavaliers on the other hand have managed to hold their ground the entire season with a product that wasn't anywhere near complete which i guess came to bite them in the butt.

Point is you and everyone else write them off EVERY year. And as an alumni i'm proud to see my corps prove every one of you geezers wrong.

BRASSO doesn't seem to like 'em does he? tongue.gif

• Like 1

This "don't worry, be happy" attitude is completely off base. The members pay money for their experience. They don't get paid to be placed in the context of a bad experiment. This is a corps that has not been out of the top 5 in over a decade. Members come into the corps counting on this tradition of excellence. The year is nothing but bad staff choices. If they want to experiment, there are other corps these staff can go to.

It is not a simple explanation. It is bad design, which leads to bad everything else. If nothing else, the Cavies should have tried to get the best they could after Gaines and others left, not settle. I know the Cavies will be back in form soon, but it should never come at the expense of the members' experiences.

just because you pay monmey to be in a corpas that usually is at the top doesnt mean you are guaranteed to stay there.

• Like 1

I beg your pardon ? I write The Cavaliers off every year ? Are we talking here about The Cavaliers from Rosemont or The Cavaliers from Cleveland ? If its the latter, I plead guilty as I probably might have said that at one time or another. But The Cavaliers from Rosemont ? I write this Corps off every year ? Lady, I'm the one that coined the phrase " The Cadevaliers " as the trifecta that usually has 2 of their Corps finishing in the top 4 every year, and with one of The Cadevaliers winning it all 90% of the time. So I'm sorry, but you've got me confused with somebody else.

Haha, he said "Lady".... blink.gif

Funny... in a borderline "discriminating" way considering the OP said they were an alumnus of an all male corps... shutup.gif

How you say something is as important as what you say....

Not that what you've said makes anyone think you have liked the Cavaliers. Coining a phrase doesn't mean you like any of the corps in the phrase... rock.gif

• Like 2

Maybe they got the best drill designer they could considering that Gaines is supposedly only take "a year" off. Not everyone wants a gig for only 1 year.

Just something to wonder about.

• Like 1

Excuse me, but what corps hits a home run with their show design every year?

Here's a simple thought. Maybe one of the main "theories" behind this "mystery" is the members itself. Young corps, and veteran members with a new visual design, and a newish approach. It's a developmental year.

No corps can win every year. Even the Blue Devils have/need off years. Sometimes it's necessary to have those off years for the sake of the year after - it will make the year after seem much more glamorous.

Maybe they got the best drill designer they could considering that Gaines is supposedly only take "a year" off. Not everyone wants a gig for only 1 year.

Just something to wonder about.

I'd love to see them work together. Both provide amazing visual ideas.

I was referring to "you" as in MAJORITY of the people on this board. I don't have time to remember who said what about who. All i know is this message board is an anti blue devils and cavaliers board. Which are the two corps who have a different way of thinking than everyone else.

So only the Blue Devils and The Cavaliers " have a different way of thinking than everyone else " ? Really ?

My guess, you havn't seen or heard the Jersey Surf this season then. When it comes to having " a different way of thinking " there is no single Corps or staff with a " different way of thinking " than this Corps, this year. And there is WAY more variety in Drum Corps "thinking" this year than just these 2 Corps. ( BK ?, Madison?, Jersey Surf ?, Cascades?, Academy ? Cadets ?, etc ?)And furthermore, I don't see the Blue Devils and the Cavaliers as sympatico in their" thinking" at all. But thats cool, if thats how YOU see it.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

The year is nothing but bad staff choices. If they want to experiment, there are other corps these staff can go to.

Between Crown and Cavaliers, you're very convinced that staff is what determines a corps placement.

Mike