Which is more likely to happen?

206 members have voted

1. 1. Which scenario is more likely/plausible this coming week?

• Crown passes Blue Devils
    • Cavaliers place out of the Top 8
    • Crossmen (or someone else currently below 12th) makes Finals
    • Cadets place outside the Top 3

I chose the Cadets scenario, but it would not be my hill to die on, so to speak. Cadets were very strong this evening in East Rutherford, and even though it wasn't judged so there's no way of knowing what the score would have been it led me to think anything can happen. I am also still holding out hope or Crown and that Crossmen will make finals. All I know is that I'm very glad my vacation plans this year include Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in Indy!

Edited by Tim K

As much as I would like to see Crown win, I don't think the judges are going to give it to them.

The judges are under no obligation to "give it to them." Crown will have to earn it, no mean feat going head to head with BD, both conceptually and performance-wise.

Peace,

Fred O.

For the first time this season I'm hopeful for Blue Stars competing for at least 10th. They've only beaten Spirit once but it seems BS show is designed to peak at a better time than Spirits. Crossmen have fought hard this summer but I think BS are out of their reach at this point.

It is not the judges who are keeping crown from beating bd. Bd has a better show

No they don't.

and are performing it better too

Visually only.

That said, Phantom is closer to Cadets in 3rd than Crown is to BD or Crossmen are to 12th. So it came down to Cadets or Cavies for me, and since the Cavies seem to be surging a little late in the season, I voted Cadets.

• Like 1

Yes, they do - both concept and performance (music and visual).

Fred O.

Well, most fans disagree with you.

Have you seen the crowd during a BD performance? :sleeping::bored: ZZZzzzz...

Have you seen the crowd during a Crown performance? :bigsmile::thumbup::worthy:

Edited by FlamMan
  • Like 4

Yes, they do - both concept and performance (music and visual).

Fred O.

Visual I'll give you. Music not a chance. Downey's score flows from point A to point B fine but "develops" almost nowhere; the pieces fit together nice but the journey is sorely lacking. It is also almost wholly lacking in ensemble difficulty, focusing the hardest parts on soloists and small ensembles (this avoidance of ensemble challenge has been a BD calling card for several years now). And absolutely nothing of any musical substance is performed at velocity (another BD calling card), unlike every other member of the Top 6 this season.

From individual to ensemble writing, melodic progression, development of theme, and challenge to the performers, I think BD is HANDS DOWN the weakest of the Top 6. Their performance level is sky-high, no argument. Their difficulty level is not. Not in music.

I speak largely from a brass perspective, as that is my area of most experience. BD's percussion has, for most of the past four seasons, been the more accomplished musical section.

• Like 4

I'm going with Crown win. I think they've performed the show below its potential all year.

I just don't see the xmas show placing outside top 3. It's musically challenging, and very clean. I'd make an argument for SCV being the big surprise in the end, but I still think cadets have a stranglehold on third.

There's no way Cavies finish outside top 8. It just won't happen. The changes they've made all year have actually made the show make sense. Musically it's really pretty good (now), and their horns are sounding fantastic.

Crossmen have just fallen off in leaps and bounds. I LOVED the music BEFORE all the rewrites. It seems like every time I see the show, they've dropped my favorite parts of it. I understand the life cycle of a drum corps show over a season, but I just don't see them breaking in with what their final product is shaping up to be. I guess MAYBE G-men could jump and end up in finals, but who gets bumped?

Well, most fans disagree with you.

Have you seen the crowd during a BD performance? :sleeping::bored: ZZZzzzz...

Have you seen the crowd during a Crown performance? :bigsmile::thumbup::worthy:

I don't know - BD got great response in Allentown, and Personally I was having a hard time staying awake during the middle of crowns show when they constantly played 3 half notes over and over and over while tympani players where playing unison hits that weren't together.

• Like 1