Favorite Moments 2012

"Be" is a verb.

"Be" is a verb. My bad. Still seems my 11th grade English teacher id fussing at me for ending a sentence with word "be."

What????? Though the fundamental act of arranging allows for some educated latitude, this comment reminds me of how diverse, educated and un-educated, insightful and un-insightful, artistic and non-artistic, mature and consistently immature our drum corps community can be.

The mello part at the end is so contrived I snicker the entire time. The epitome of awkward, un-informed, un-trained brass writing we hear too often.

Uh-huh...

I'm sure Jay Bocook (http://www.dci.org/about/fame/view_member.cfm?member_id=e5a74c92-0d44-4035-8753-5c6bdd01301e) agrees fully with your analysis of his work.

:blink:

One of the few things that have stuck out in my mind is the Madison Scouts in the last minute of their show forming their famous vertical company front on the 50 and then rotating it around... its a blast from the past and also a play on words as they are performing The Bogatyr Gates movement of Pictures at an Exhibition... newer fans of the activity probably dont realize this is a signature move, like Troopers Sunburst.

Unfortunately you still need a hearing aid at its max to hear Bb horns.

One post about Bb horns is enough from you...

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

BD's reckless abandon to convention.

Phantom' sense of visual musicality and great story telling.

Spirit's amazing reinvention of a unique brand of drum corps with great depth of craft.

Pacific Crest constantly challenging the typical touring vs. the end of season results norm.

Edited by yellvanguard

Jersey Surf - EVERYTHING

Blue Devils - I just LOVE the soloist at the beginning of their show; the ensemble sound in the entire closer, also, is just brilliant. I admit to still having a hard time relating to their show this year, but their unmatched execution and some of the truly beautiful individual moments of the show make it a favorite for me.

Carolina Crown - The spinning cubes are a great effect, to me. Plus, as a percussionist, I have to mention the joint timpani/bass drum/tam-tam hits. There is a sense of grandiosity that is hard to beat in this show; I'm still pulling for them to get ahead at Finals.

Cadets - I dislike the use of the pre-recorded vocals in this show, but the brass hit at the end which immediately follows a voice-over really is a goosebumps moment.

Phantom Regiment - Oh boy, what to specify from this show. Can I pick all of it? The color guard costume change, the entire closer, the entire beginning . . . ALL OF IT!

Santa Clara Vanguard - I'm a HUGE sucker for "Hymn to a Blue Hour." I think it is right up there with Bluecoats' "Love Dance" for the best ballad of the year. Also, now that the transition into Music of the Night makes a bit more sense, that has to be one of my top moments of any corps and any show this year. It combines a sense of history with some great arranging and beautiful ensemble sound. And finally, the SCV cymbal "V" at the end, combined with the quiet ending, makes this my favorite show of the year. I sincerely hope they medal.

Bluecoats - Their opener has a ton of power, but the really great part of this show, to me, is the ballad "Love Dance." It's one of the most beautiful things I've heard from a drum corps in a long, long time. I love it.

Madison Scouts - The end of "The Old Castle" is actually one of my favorite parts of this show. Of COURSE you have to mention the company front, and even though the transition into Malaguena (although I haven't heard if they've made any chances since San Antonio) seems a little awkward, the bit from the piece itself is just wonderful.

I could probably name a favorite moment from just about every corps - I have a hard time disliking really any show this year, as it seems every year - but I'm going to stop there. I don't have the slightest idea why people were posting about this year being a "weak" year for drum corps; I disagree entirely. I think corps are always innovating, always improving, always showing what these kids can do, and I LOVE IT.

• Like 1

Crowns Star 93 "throw back".

SCV's drill. Man that guy can write. Also, SCV's two open spots for "Vanguard" yells.

Blue Devils bari/trumpet bebop lick runs.

BK's spaceship sequence, and BK's opener/closer drill. Sully's a genius.

Speaking of the Blue Devils, if I were ADD, I'd be out of my mind in that show. :cool:

• Like 1