BD - What to Look For?

Let me first start by saying in no way is this meant to be another bash BD thread - I've read them all, and am not trying to rehash those, so please keep that in mind.

I've seen BD's show twice now - once live, and once in the theater tonight. I'm in no way a stranger to the activity. I have a marching background, a music background (gig on the side to this day), have been a fan of the marching arts for a long time, and been to Finals every year since 1989.

With all of that out of the way, I know the people who like BD's show this year tend to say that it is a brilliant design and is performed probably even more brilliantly - I can't say that I see it that way. Do I think it's really good - yes, but while I get the show concept, I still don't see what the others who like it are saying, and I want to understand.

I have one more shot at this on Sat. at Finals (before turning to recordings). What do I need to look for to see why BD's design and performance are so brilliant? Again, I just want to understand and know what to look for on Saturday.

Submerge yourself in the world of dada. Thats all I can tell you.

Honestly I hate the dada movement, but this show is growing on me and might be my favorite BD show in years.

(also, check out the 1st opening hit, as far as I can tell, the members do different body movements every performance)

Edited by Njfritz

Let me first start by saying in no way is this meant to be another bash BD thread - I've read them all, and am not trying to rehash those, so please keep that in mind.

I've seen BD's show twice now - once live, and once in the theater tonight. I'm in no way a stranger to the activity. I have a marching background, a music background (gig on the side to this day), have been a fan of the marching arts for a long time, and been to Finals every year since 1989.

With all of that out of the way, I know the people who like BD's show this year tend to say that it is a brilliant design and is performed probably even more brilliantly - I can't say that I see it that way. Do I think it's really good - yes, but while I get the show concept, I still don't see what the others who like it are saying, and I want to understand.

I have one more shot at this on Sat. at Finals (before turning to recordings). What do I need to look for to see why BD's design and performance are so brilliant? Again, I just want to understand and know what to look for on Saturday.

How much do you know about the Dada art movement, because their translation of the concepts of the movement to the drum corps idiom is genius. The very reason why a lot of people don't like the show is exactly why its so well put together.

• Like 2

Honestly I hate the dada movement, but this show is growing on me and might be my favorite BD show in years.

I'm not a Dada fan, but this is hands down one of my favorite shows ever. Every time I see it I like it even more.

• Like 4

I'm not a Dada fan, but this is hands down one of my favorite shows ever. Every time I see it I like it even more.

That's because there's really nothing in it that's even remotely Dadaist. If it were genuinely Dada, you'd hate it.

• Like 1

If you don't like it you weren't supposed to I guess. I have always loved abstract art but my main reason for liking this show is the music. They could have done a cheezy christm..ok bad example...They could have done a lame show while building a dumb house on the field and I still would have liked it as long as it didn't have pop tunes from the 60's that I never liked anyway.

Hows that? thumbup.gif

• Like 2

(also, check out the 1st opening hit, as far as I can tell, the members do different body movements every performance)

Ha; I like Blue Devils 2012 infinitely more than I like the dada movement! I agree: this is my favorite BD show in quite awhile - maybe since their 2000 show

Without even knowing Dada, try to watch the show as more of a piece of modern/interpretive art, instead of just another drum corps show. You can't look at it's shell and try to connect with it. You must try to let it effect you.

I guess that's a way of putting it?

• Like 2

If you don't like it you weren't supposed to I guess. I have always loved abstract art but my main reason for liking this show is the music. They could have done a cheezy christm..ok bad example...They could have done a lame show while building a dumb house on the field and I still would have liked it as long as it didn't have pop tunes from the 60's that I never liked anyway.

Hows that? thumbup.gif

Dadaism isn't abstract really.

I wouldn't call a toilet abstract tongue.gif

• Like 1

Calling it a drum corps show is like calling Yoko Ono a musician.

• Like 1