Subpar camera work during broadcasts...

3. Let's see some more quality shots of the performers in the pit. If I am sitting on the 50-yard line at a stadium, the pit is one of the most noticeable elements of the show. Unfortunately, the broadcasts do not show the pit members much at all.

so between showing marching horns, marching drums, guard marching/spinning/tossing.... you would rather see the pit players standing still?

I actually saw a lot of pit shown, although it was usually the same person.

My biggest pet peeve is when there's an obvious feature of some kind, but then the go to a shot of people marching with their horns down or a random guard member.

The video below is a good example and one of the worst I have ever seen. At around 46 seconds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CunLd-AV_gU&feature=player_detailpage#t=46s

Edited by DCIfan90

...it *is* tough to "get it all"...great comments from professionals help this thread. My gripe is pretty simple: Why should a video include *any* angle not designed to be seen from the box? Sure, closeups of soloists and performers at large are cool, but when, say, Blue Knights come out of the lower 2-side corner at the beginning of the show, it certainly wasn't intended to be seen looking down into the corner from the center of the field, eh? Nobody should see that angle other than a performer or a judge! Same could be said for Madison's wheel, which was expertly written to max the effect out from a box standpoint, where at field-level at, say, 4 o'clock (side 2 next to the pit), it isn't going to look all that good (I shot Madison...photos, heh...at the Dallas show and was right there and, of course, recognized the phenomenon)...so, putting your video camera shot down there makes the corps look pretty lame...as in all those "up the diagonal" shots, which from the box look OK. I dunno, in my still photography I *try* to make the individual or group look good...shouldn't the vid guys do that too?

• Like 1

I think that's worth a lot. What is your professional opinion of mine and Tommy's (the OP) complaints?

I think the biggest issue guys is that prelims are now the "big" broadcast so the crew has no run thru other than preproduction notes to try and get it right (that's why u see the same shots in semis and finals on FN). It also looks like the production budget is significantly less (based on what I'm watching) vs the PBS days. Tom Blair knows how to do this stuff but he likely still has some unfamiliar crew working with his production keys so mistakes will happen. While I think the work at times has been weak (eg lingering wayyy too long and incorrectly on the cadets mello solo in the ballad without cutting to a wide set shot) I think given the budget, and scope of like 4 plus hours of capture it's not bad. I think the PBS/ESPN stuff spoiled a lot of viewers. That stuff was done to network standards (money)not cine view or web. Hope this helps aid your perspective.

• Like 1

I'm gonna go positive on this thread and say this -

Thanks to Tom Blair again for his excellent work. Many of us forget how lucky we are to have you and the crew.

The blu-rays the last three years have been the best product DCI has ever put out, period! The sound and video are awesome. I'm sure this year's will be the same. The new Essentials blu-ray is great too.

Drum corps, especially these days, is an extremely difficult activity to televise. Camera angles and called shots are very hard to get right with all that is going on. That is one reason why the discs we get have a high cam option, and even on the fan network we get high cam option or multi, both for Atlanta and championship week.

I refuse to complain about any of the work being done, especially thinking back to what we got when Tom Blair wasn't around, i.e. before 1984, and the years 1995-98 when IBM productions did the work.

Again, thanks to Tom for all your hard work!

leed17

• Like 5

Speaking of back in the early 80's...remember all those Drum Major crotch cam angles? LOL The cameraman would be directly below the drum major podium with the camera pointed straight up.

The prelims on Thursday night are not their only viewing for Tom Blair and the crew. I believe they always do the Atlanta regional, as their preview.

I agree with the original post. 88 camera work and angles sold the show.

Today, we have a tendancy for overkill.