An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

But they are designing them to appeal to a younger audience.

What is the benefit of compromising to try to appealing to an older segment of fans? Are they going to buy System Blue gear? Are they going to go to a System Blue camp?

Legacy fans aren't BD's core audience... which is fine.

Simple again... They are designing shows for the legacy fans that will be alive 30 years from now... You and I are like the declining customer base for either Lincoln or Cadillac.

So for what it is worth, DCI wants fans who are still alive because they will have more money than those who are dead.

• Like 3

I'm not ready to give it up just yet but I really would appreciate FAR less electronics and "body movement".

You know - I was watching semis wondering how those kids felt doing the constant gyrations while trying to play. Personally, if I was going to introduce a newbie to drum corps, I would find most of that stuff embarrasing.

The electronics just - suck....

Edited by Grandpa

You know - I was watching semis wondering how those kids felt doing the constant gyrations while trying to play. Personally, if I was going to introduce a newbie to drum corps, I would find most of that stuff embarrasing.

The electronics just - suck....

To you they do. They are immensely appealing to others, especially the younger crowd. Pop a 70's video in for today's members and you'll see so much laughter you'd think it was a Python sketch. I marched in the 80's, and when the switch to Bb/F was made, I was absolutely against it. Then I decided to listen, and actively get involved again, and I was sold. I happen to like electronics and see enormous possibility in their use. It matters not at all that a lot of dinos don't like 'em. I'm going to have fun watching where the activity goes next.

• Like 1

They are immensely appealing to others, especially the younger crowd.

You know, its not the electronics that are the problem, its the context in which they are used. Like look at Bluecoats 2010, that show really knew how to utilize electronic sounds and it came off as really cool and interesting.

Fastforward to this year, I clearly remember audible groans when the word "afraid" was blasted into our ears.

No, I frankly do not. I was rebutting someone's blanket statement that Crown's show was 'harder' by saying that the Finals panel pretty much soundly rejected that blanket and wildly incorrect assessment from that poster. If by Olympic judging- you mean they should assess difficulty multiplers and concrete numbers and deductions if it fails when the horn line does a triple axel while playing a high Q sharp, that really won't work, either.

They said that Crown's show was harder and they didn't get credited for it with the current scoring system.

Then you proceeded to use the scoring system to show them that Crown's show wasn't harder.

Are we really so sure of that?

We've had reports on here that MMs hate the patches and having their parts covered by a synth as much as some of the audience.

No argument there. I also think corps use synth a bit too much when "filling out" stuff. It's one reason we kept it to a minimum at Teal Sound in 2009 and 2010, as well as not playing the tuba-doubling game.

But there are some very, very cool things being done with electronic instruments, sequencing, and sound effects. Like many of you, I'm not a huge fan of voice and narrated stuff, though some of it does work. Much doesn't. Electronics use will get better, just like pit use got better after it was grounded in the early 80's.

Was anyone at the Indianapolis Colts football game today? The Blue Devils performed at halftime. I am just curious as to the reaction the show got. Because this was many people's first introduction to Drum Corps.

Math is not your strong suit, is it?

World population in 1981: 4,529,899,224

World population in 2012: 6,991,800,919

2 billion more possible drum corps fans since I aged out.

You want simple?

I'll tell you what simple is - follow the money.

If drum corps was truly about the kids, it wouldn't cost thousands of dollars to march, it would be free.

Good for you!

Just remember, we used to be happy about it too...

ps. The heavy hitters in DCI right now are my age or older. Take that for what it's worth.

So you gonna fly all those Third Worlders over here to march in the good ole US of A? Maybe start a new Alumni organization for the people over 65? That is where all your big numbers are in the populus change my friend. I know you think it is simple... But only if you understand demographics. You seem to be missing that part of the equasion!

Also, Werent you over there on that grassy knoll? I am sure I saw you! LOL Have a great time at Home Jules... I bet if we met in person we would get along quite well... But your online persona seems a bit of a stretch...

• Like 1

To you they do. They are immensely appealing to others, especially the younger crowd. Pop a 70's video in for today's members and you'll see so much laughter you'd think it was a Python sketch. I marched in the 80's, and when the switch to Bb/F was made, I was absolutely against it. Then I decided to listen, and actively get involved again, and I was sold. I happen to like electronics and see enormous possibility in their use. It matters not at all that a lot of dinos don't like 'em. I'm going to have fun watching where the activity goes next.

Cool, you won't have ANY problem getting that 50 yard line seat! :lookaround:

pink-stands-at-football-stadium-thumb10261713.jpg

• Like 1