An Open Letter to DCI

Am I alone?  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do I agree with the OP?

• Completely. I'm taking time off, too.
    • Yes, but I still love enough of DCI to stick around a bit and see if anything changes.
    • Absolutely not. DCI is great and I support them wholeheartedly.
    • Not really, things have changed for the worse, but I don't think they're as bad as he says.
    • No, things have gotten better, but there are still a few things I'd like DCI to tweak.

You ask a tough question. One I've really had to think about (both before and after you asked it). From an entertainment perspective, DCI as it is today may as well be gone, because it isn't scratching the itch that it used to scratch for me. Do I want to keep around a form of entertainment that isn't entertaining? No.

So because you are not entertained, there is no reason to keep it around for those who are entertained? :blink:

I'm thinking you don't mean that, but it looks that way in the above.

I interpreted JB's statement as "Do I want to stay around [i.e. "keep myself around"] a form of entertainment that isn't entertaining? No."

(I agree his phrasing there could mislead.)

The interesting thing about this issue of people losing interest in this activity is at least it's being discussed publicly thanks to the internet. For three decades now, people have been quitting DCI in high numbers. It just wasn't visible.

The constant desire for the activity to reinvent itself has left thousands and thousands behind. If it hadn't, the sheer volume of alumni from the early years when there had been 40+ corps compete in the top class alone, would fill every venue and more so of the current tour schedule.

The thing that bothers me is when these "innovations" have been proposed as ways to expand fandom. No one ever discussed the losses those innovations would also bring.

I think it's cool that people who have become dissatisfied at least make an attempt to communicate WHY they left. Thousands and thousands just disappeared from the activity without saying anything.

So because you are not entertained, there is no reason to keep it around for those who are entertained? :blink:

I'm thinking you don't mean that, but it looks that way in the above.

Again, thanks for the benefit of the doubt. I wasn't clear.

I meant that as far as I am personally concerned, whether DCI is here or not doesn't really affect me.

I then went on to explain that I recognize it benefits others (though I focused more on the participants than the rest of the audience), and if they want to and can keep it around, that's great for them. I don't wish for it to disappear just to spite those who don't agree with me (I'm not really that vindictive). It just doesn't affect me personally one way or the other.

Is that clearer?

The constant desire for the activity to reinvent itself has left thousands and thousands behind. If it hadn't, the sheer volume of alumni from the early years when there had been 40+ corps compete in the top class alone, would fill every venue and more so of the current tour schedule.

The thing that bothers me is when these "innovations" have been proposed as ways to expand fandom. No one ever discussed the losses those innovations would also bring.

I think it's cool that people who have become dissatisfied at least make an attempt to communicate WHY they left. Thousands and thousands just disappeared from the activity without saying anything.

Thank you for that. And you make an EXCELLENT point. What would DCI look like today if it had managed to retain a higher percentage of its age-outs over the years? This is exactly what I'm trying to say. It's a lot more difficult to fill a bucket with holes than to fill a bucket without holes. Evaporation is much slower than a leak.

DCI, find a way to keep the dinos around without alienating the zygotes. It CAN be done, but it will require some deep thinking and a few changes. Don't give up so easily.

• Like 2

Weren't you leaving?

Right after I stop being attacked by people who don't read what I've written.

(If you had done more than a drive-by, you'd know that I plan to leave when this thread dies down. But you keep stirring it up. Ironic, isn't it?)

Edited by JulesBry
  • Like 2

Like many have said before, the only thing that talks is money. If finals attendance falls below 10,000, then that might get some attention. But, OP, as you can see from the attitudes of those who don't agree with you, there will always be a rationalization why things are okay.

• Like 1

Again, thanks for the benefit of the doubt. I wasn't clear.

I meant that as far as I am personally concerned, whether DCI is here or not doesn't really affect me.

I then went on to explain that I recognize it benefits others (though I focused more on the participants than the rest of the audience), and if they want to and can keep it around, that's great for them. I don't wish for it to disappear just to spite those who don't agree with me (I'm not really that vindictive). It just doesn't affect me personally one way or the other.

Is that clearer?

Gotcha!

Trying to imagine what the Panel Bear looks like.

kind of like a polar bear with zebra stripes and a green shirt.