What Will Happen if Crown Wins?

I truly enjoyed Crown's show last night. They were much superior to BD in so many ways. I hate the style of production BD puts together. As I left the stadium I ran into a core instructor and friend. We were both like, 'what did we just see in the final show?' I think his words were "disgusting." I was not as nice in my description of BD.

Gotta love the anonymous troll that joined yesterday!

Bravo!

• Like 3

Bravo!

I hated BD's show. I hated it so much it inspired me to sign up for this board. It also disgusted me so much that I will not be going to finals tonight even though I live here in Indy.

Although I never marched in DCI, I have marched in high school and in one of the Navy bands. I just started going to DCI 3 years ago as the Cavaliers practiced 2 blocks from my house during finals. I liked what I saw in their show then and have been going ever since. What saddened me about the Cavaliers this year is that they were starting to do some of the same things BD has been doing. I hate synthesized sound and music. If this is the direction DCI is moving, I will just quit going. I can find better ways to spend $60. It cracked me up when I saw one of the groups wheel out their equipment complete with a Macintosh computer on top. Let's just push the button and listen to a recording. The core will just dance around and throw a few props around. If I wanted to watch Dancing with the Stars, I would do that, not go to a "Drum and Bugle" competition.

Crown was the top show in my opinion followed by Phantom.

• Like 3

Bravo!

He lost me with "core instructor" and "the core will just dance".

Son I am disapoint

Edited by hostrauser
  • Like 2

I hated BD's show. I hated it so much it inspired me to sign up for this board. It also disgusted me so much that I will not be going to finals tonight even though I live here in Indy.

Although I never marched in DCI, I have marched in high school and in one of the Navy bands. I just started going to DCI 3 years ago as the Cavaliers practiced 2 blocks from my house during finals. I liked what I saw in their show then and have been going ever since. What saddened me about the Cavaliers this year is that they were starting to do some of the same things BD has been doing. I hate synthesized sound and music. If this is the direction DCI is moving, I will just quit going. I can find better ways to spend $60. It cracked me up when I saw one of the groups wheel out their equipment complete with a Macintosh computer on top. Let's just push the button and listen to a recording. The core will just dance around and throw a few props around. If I wanted to watch Dancing with the Stars, I would do that, not go to a "Drum and Bugle" competition.

Crown was the top show in my opinion followed by Phantom.

Also, I DID like BD's music. That was not the issue.

when they win ... it will be "For The Common Good"

+1

Nice!

I don't see what is wrong with a corps celebrating wildly and/or blowing off some steam when they either win or don't win. It would take more than playing extra loud or hanging over at the end of the group encore to offend me. And if a corps wins, they have earned the right to celebrate as long as they are not insulting others, breaking laws or damaging property.

What seems stilted and unnatural to me is when corps appear unaffected, reserved and even bored when they win. Some may thinks it appears classy. If there's a lesson being taught here, I don't understand it. I remember seeing some drum major interviews right after victory at DCI finals where you would never know that he just won. And if a corps does not win, it's okay to appear disappointed. Check out virtually any Olympic event, World Series, Superbowl, NBA championship, Stanley Cup, music or movie awards show, Presidential election party, etc. Why is it not okay for drum corps to emote a little?

I suspect the Blue Devils and BD alumni would fine the nearest Crown member/alum, say "Good game!" and get ready for 2013. Kinda like what happened in 2008.

As much as I respect you as a DCP'er, I recall that alternative site to DCP that started up in 08. Can't remember the name of the site, but there was a lot of trash talk from BD members and alums about Regiment. Somebody sent me a link, but the negativity there made this place look like Shangri-La. (No, it wasn't RAMD)

Anyway, like others have said, no matter who wins tonight, life will go on. That pesky wait for 2013 will be pretty annoying, though!

Garry in Vegas