Madison Scouts 2013

Again, I wish I had thought to ask Lee about this. I will say that from a writing stand point, I did not miss them.

If the corps is going out of their way to completely bury the tuba line with synth bass, there's certainly no point in having timpani.

Yes I'm a tad biter about the amount of synth Madison has used the past few years. I love the corps to death but absolutely loathe the direction they're going with the new found toys DCI allows them to experiment with.

• Like 1

If the corps is going out of their way to completely bury the tuba line with synth bass, there's certainly no point in having timpani.

Yes I'm a tad biter about the amount of synth Madison has used the past few years. I love the corps to death but absolutely loathe the direction they're going with the new found toys DCI allows them to experiment with.

I'm very conflicted on this as well. I absolutely wish electronics never reared its ugly head in drum corps. On the other hand I'm very good friends with the guy who does that work for the Scouts. He's a brilliant musician and arranger and I think their use has been much more tasteful than most other corps. Agreed on the thunderous goo - it's not needed anywhere.

• Like 2

I'm very conflicted on this as well. I absolutely wish electronics never reared its ugly head in drum corps. On the other hand I'm very good friends with the guy who does that work for the Scouts. He's a brilliant musician and arranger and I think their use has been much more tasteful than most other corps. Agreed on the thunderous goo - it's not needed anywhere.

I have to disagree. I love both corps, but Madison and Bluecoats are by far the worst electronic perpretators for using synths to increase the low end sound. If I marched contra for either I'd be pretty annoyed. And I really have no clue why they both do it both horn lines are great. Soon you won't really be able to tell what is horn line and what is "enhanced".

• Like 2

I have to disagree. I love both corps, but Madison and Bluecoats are by far the worst electronic perpretators for using synths to increase the low end sound. If I marched contra for either I'd be pretty annoyed. And I really have no clue why they both do it both horn lines are great. Soon you won't really be able to tell what is horn line and what is "enhanced".

They do both goo it up pretty good and I honestly don't understand the reasoning. I could see it with many high school bands where there isn't as much of a low brass presence but not with a DCI hornline. Have you seen them live this year? Do they still use so much bass synth? I didn't notice it on the fan network and was hoping it was not being used.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

Personally, I liked the Scouts use of electronics this year. I have been offended in the past by corps and their use of electronics, but after viewing the Scouts last night I thought the use of electronics was done well. Perhaps they made changes since the beginning of the year.

• Like 1

So Scouts Fans.... Who else will be in the Scouts VIP section in San Antonio? My crew will be there in force!

• Like 1

So Scouts Fans.... Who else will be in the Scouts VIP section in San Antonio? My crew will be there in force!

I wish I were able to make ANY show this summer. :-/

So why no Timpani this year for Madison? Have there been other corps who didnt use Timpani?

Troopers went without timpani for a year recently. It wasn't planned that way, though.

I live in Austin and I suppose I should make the hour or so drive to San Antone to see the Men of Madison...My dilemma though...I have such a difficult time sitting through everything else that refers to itself as drum corps now days and paying all that money to be bored beyond sanity. (Sorry, my intention is not to offend you folks who are "bandos" or are newer to the activity...from a historical standpoint, many of you simply haven’t walked in my shoes)...What to do???