Madison Scouts 2013

In spite of taking second place overall at Finals, I still take pride in knowing we won horns for the second year in a row!

I don't make this claim, but my good friend Dave Scott, who is not an alum but is a Drum Corps aficionado , tells me all the time that the '74 hornline was superior to the '75 hornline. I am skeptical, but bask in the wonderfulness of the comment anyway.

Gary

I agree with Dave, Gary (although it is like splitting hairs between 74 and 75) But I give the edge to 74 insofar as the sheer power, punch, and groove of the hornline...plus the musical selections were superb...especially marching off to Brian's Song. I discovered this show much later - my rookie year in 89 - but was instantly hooked. Oh and thanks for the compliment on "Ron's Cafe" on Facebook!

I can't comment on which of those great shows was better but I first became a lifelong Scouts fan after viewing the 1975 show. Saw it in my high school band room - on one of those huge tapes before VHS came out. Our director was a big DCI fan and bought the finals tapes each year.

Edited by SFZFAN
  • Like 1

Maybe it was perseverance Jim. Maybe I was just crazy.

But I am one of the few Scouts (along with those who marched with me during this strange span of years, like my good friend Jim Linley and future director Scott Stewart), who can say they experienced both the worst of the Scouts (I think we placed 22nd in 1968) and arguably the best of the Scouts (in 1974). As an experience to build character, I was blessed.

The climb from oblivion to greatness is something that most people, regardless of the activity, do not get to experience. Especially these days in Drum Corps when it is difficult to move a handful of places over the course of a decade.

Did I say I was blessed? I marched with Hall of Famers Jimmy Elvord and Scott Stewart. I played the music of, and under the direction of, Ray Baumgardt. And I was part of the small group of members who stayed as a Madison Scout when the corps split into two after the 1968 season (the other half or more went to the newly formed 32nd Hussars). Most people do not appreciate how close the Scouts came to folding after the '68 season. Without Bill Howard (another Hall of Famer) taking over, the Madison Scouts would only be a distant memory instead of celebrating our 75th anniversary this year. And because I stuck it out and helped the corps survive through a very bad time, is maybe why is cannot sing "Never Walk" without choking up.

All of my beloved Band of Brothers have had experiences to treasure. But only a few of us have gone from worst to (almost) first. I am the better man for it.

Gary

God Bless You. Thank You! MYNWA

Thanks to all the Scout alums for responding to my question about '74 DCI finals and for providing your personal insights. They are very interesting to read, to say the least. Using a sports analogy, it sounds like the underdog was loose and played to win, and the favorite was a little tight and played not to lose. Like Yogi says, you can't think and hit at the same time.

In any event, the '74 Scouts were so entertaining, powerful, and just plain phenomenal that nearly 40 years later, they are still my favorite corps...and always will be!

Now back to the 2013 Madison Scouts :thumbup:/>

Just took some time to really dig into some footage of the 2013 drumline. Completely different level than last year. Rammin, notes.

Does anyone have the chant (sorry - can't think of the right word) they were saying as they were coming on the field. I heard a lot of left, left, left right left. I think I heard "we were born wearing green" and I'm sure I heard "we're here to entertain". People were clapping so much we missed the words.

A well deserved day off for the Scouts at Mall of America. I guess the Tour of Champions doesn't include all of the champions. Um, now that I think about it, some have never won that are part of the TOC.