Staff changes

@Jerseyboy, There is no denying that Donny assisted in increasing the corps hornline numbers from 2007 to 2010, this was also aided by the corps push out of last place in 2009.

In my opinion Donny was another victim of what I would call the 'program coordinator curse' at Pio which is a very difficult job. Many who have stepped into that position have only lasted a couple of years max.

My hope is that they can make the right changes this year with staff and programming to build the group again.

• Like 3

This is patently, false. They are leaving on their own accord.

Regardless of the way they are leaving, if they are all gone, they will all be replaced.

I would understand your point if it said they were all fired.

Oh, one last thing.....

Yelling at the kids is never productive. I wish this activity would finally learn this. Funny, I hear rumors that BD's staff yells the least of any. Maybe there is something to their 15 titles that goes beyond the obvious. Maybe BD is the only one who has....well.......a LOT..........of things figured out and the rest of the activity is doing things backwards.

Reminds me of story I once heard of someone who needed to get out of a burning building so they tried slamming themselves into a wall over and over again to try and get out until they were a burning bloody mess. The unfortunate part was, there was a door nearby that would have saved their lives if they had just walked through it.

How often do so many corps beat themselves into a bloody mess when all they have to do is walk through a door to get where they want to go (insert 05 Cadets joke now)?

This!!!! Yes!!! Thank you!!!

I will never understand why people think screaming at someone is because they just have soooo much passion for the activity and the students. Forget that. Yelling only means that their educational and communicative skills don't go beyond a basic level, particularly in Mr. Welborn's case when all he did was either cut the rep and scream RESET!! Or he let them finish and then berated them and explained that they all already possessed the information that they needed and that no field staff should make any corrections. This went on for an hour on the same chunk of music...clearly they could have used some information Mr. Welborn.

Oh, one last thing.....

Yelling at the kids is never productive. I wish this activity would finally learn this. Funny, I hear rumors that BD's staff yells the least of any. Maybe there is something to their 15 titles that goes beyond the obvious. Maybe BD is the only one who has....well.......a LOT..........of things figured out and the rest of the activity is doing things backwards.

Reminds me of story I once heard of someone who needed to get out of a burning building so they tried slamming themselves into a wall over and over again to try and get out until they were a burning bloody mess. The unfortunate part was, there was a door nearby that would have saved their lives if they had just walked through it.

How often do so many corps beat themselves into a bloody mess when all they have to do is walk through a door to get where they want to go (insert 05 Cadets joke now)?

The rest of the activity has it backwards? Really!?

If your comment about the fire is to suggest that corps Design shows that can be more easily accomplished at high level (like BD) I could not disagree more!

You don't need to look back too far too see a time when BD did not always win. Cavies were king and they werent walking through open doors. They challenged and pushed because in reality the building is NOT on fire and there is no need to get out in a hurry.

Corps push limits and that is what I enjoy most about drum corps.

Also no corps is going backwards... Or has the "wrong" approach to what they do. How can you even say that with a straight face.

• Like 1

The rest of the activity has it backwards? Really!?

If your comment about the fire is to suggest that corps Design shows that can be more easily accomplished at high level (like BD) I could not disagree more!

You don't need to look back too far too see a time when BD did not always win. Cavies were king and they werent walking through open doors. They challenged and pushed because in reality the building is NOT on fire and there is no need to get out in a hurry.

Corps push limits and that is what I enjoy most about drum corps.

Also no corps is going backwards... Or has the "wrong" approach to what they do. How can you even say that with a straight face.

Cavaliers staff during their winning years was probably a lot like BDs in that way... good to the kids.

He's not bagging on design, he's only talking about staff etiquette.

Yelling at the kids is never productive.

One should never, ever, speak in absolutes. It is ALWAYS terrible.

In all seriousness; I know there were certainly times when I marched that was glad my staff was yelling at me. It made me angry at myself and that helped me focus on what I needed to do. It got my adrenaline flowing and renewed my energy.

Is it always good? heck no. Is it sometimes useful for this or that purpose? yup. At least it was for me.

Point is: different strokes for different folks. Yelling is a tool, with a specific purpose and use in mind. It can be productive.

In the case y'all are discussing, it sounds like it was not productive, but it can be from time to time.

Funny, I hear rumors that BD's staff yells the least of any. Maybe there is something to their 15 titles that goes beyond the obvious. Maybe BD is the only one who has....well.......a LOT..........of things figured out and the rest of the activity is doing things backwards.

I hear rumors that BD sleeps late a lot. I KNOW they have a relaxed retreat. What do they eat for food? Maybe everyone should do those things too. Let's all wear blue and black, and have our tubas wear berets. Let's put on shows that some people enjoy and #### some people off. EVERYONE BE THE SAME NOW!!!!

I know you don't mean that, but isn't the point of drum corps to offer a variety of products and experiences, so we can find the one that fits us best? Everyone I know who marched at Phantom says they got chewed out A LOT and loved it. Like I said: different strokes for different folks.

Unless it's all about winning. Then we should all put on shows that put the sheets first, and audience enjoyment second. There will, after all, still be some people who dig what happens.

PS: I know that all sounds really negative towards BD. I apologize- don't mean to attack them. They do their thing very well (and I actually enjoyed it this year). The point is, we all can do different things, and that's awesome.

• Like 1

Cavaliers staff during their winning years was probably a lot like BDs in that way... good to the kids.

He's not bagging on design, he's only talking about staff etiquette.

Oh... Well, staff etiquette wise I don't think corps are going backwards... I thought he was talking about corps approach to design... :)

Oh... Well, staff etiquette wise I don't think corps are going backwards... I thought he was talking about corps approach to design... :)

You have no idea how close I was to a long winded response to your first response to me. Thankfully, others stepped in and clarified what should have already been clear enough (talk about "missing the door" and"looking beyond the obvious").

Next time read the context. No. I said nothing about "design". Not one word.

(sheesh) :rolleyes:

• Like 1

One should never, ever, speak in absolutes. It is ALWAYS terrible.

In all seriousness; I know there were certainly times when I marched that was glad my staff was yelling at me. It made me angry at myself and that helped me focus on what I needed to do. It got my adrenaline flowing and renewed my energy.

Is it always good? heck no. Is it sometimes useful for this or that purpose? yup. At least it was for me

Why? What did it do for you that simple information presented in a respectful manner would not have done?