Staff changes

that's exactly what cavies should do. hire a guy who has a meltdown and resigns midway through last summer at Bluecoats. and from what I understand it was Rogers that bailed them out of that debacle. good call man.

Um, ok.

Edited by elmhurstmusiced

1992 - Todd Ryan, George Zingali, Dr. Len Kruszecki

I never knew Lenny Kruszecki was involved with 92 Star...learn something new everyday on here.

Edited by Zeke

Actually he (Danny Wiles) didn't have a meltdown (@Bluecoats), per se. He, like many people, couldn't take another second of Michael Gray's BS.

Ah ok. Well, you know how these things can go... people like to exaggerate things at times. I was just repeating the words I heard, but heard the same from several people. I always have to remember to take anything I hear second or third hand with a grain of salt. However, I still wouldn't think choosing mr. wiles would have been a "better" choice that Rogers, especially considering the circumstances surrounding whatever happened last summer with him. Apologies for my repeating an exaggerated statement about that.

I have very limited experience with both of those mentioned designers, but what I saw that Rogers did for Troopers for the few(?) years he designed for them, he definitely is writing much better stuff than he did in 1994. By the way, why are we comparing drill someone did 18 years ago to today? I may be 20 years removed from the activity but how does a drill someone wrote that long ago have anything to do with 2012? My last year was 1992 and from what I heard, Rogers was one of several designers who had a hand in the 1992 Cavies show. Mr. Brubaker was still with us that year but I heard there were about 3 or 4 people who had a hand in helping out when he got sick. And didn't Rogers also write the 1993 show? I didn't find that show particularly appealing, but the drill wasn't terrible. Nor was the 1994 drill.

I wish I knew more about drill to make a better assessment on this whole subject but seeing that the Cavies went with an alumni and former staff member/caption head, I don't see how they could go wrong with their choice. Cavaliers shows are hit or miss with me but have always loved their style of visual designs.

Edited by PepsiTwist

I hope you are a world class drill designer to have such a strong opinion. Mitch's drill was what brought the pieces together for Bluecoats and propelled them into the top 6 after spending a lifetime in the purgatory of 12th-7th place. He wrote the first true visual effects and contributed to the first well-thought programs they had ever had. The Troopers only jump into finals since 1986 and Mitch had nothing to do with it? Cavaliers drill contributions from 1992-1994? I think Michael Gaines, one of his students, would beg to disagree with you. Some respect, please.

I think you're being a bit hard on Bluecoats corps in 7th-12th place. Lets not forget that Steve Brubaker ( who taught Gaines) wrote the drill for one of those lower placing shows. The Bluecoats placed that low because they weren't aiming for higher placements.

Let's not confuse all of these ideas please! You do a disservice to the past!

These "Staff Change" speculation threads are always a hoot! While I do find thes various staff chnages themselves interesting, the hype is ridiculous.

I recall an 8th place corps a few years back adding a couple "Big" names, with the DCP hype proclaiming "Top Three! They're for real, now!" etc, etc. That corps is no longer in the top 12.

I recall two mid-top 12 corps a couple years ago essentially trading their percussion staffs...think of it.....people from both organizations were suggesting that NOW, BOTH 6th-8th place drum lines would CERTAINLY take top drums that year at finals!

And the best one, by far....."Well when our Hall of Fame design team flies in for the weekend (this was mid-July, mind you) the corps will leapfrog at least six other corps".

You guys are killing me!

On the other side of that, who's had the greatest success? Corps with stable, consistent, and EFFECTIVE staffs...BD and Cadets, primarily.

When you have creative and administrative staff that's been at the corps since long before any of the current members were leacherous gleams in their daddy's eyes (Downey, Gibbs, ScoJo) and they long ago learned how to effectively work together, that says a great deal....the revolving door looking for that perfect staffer and them only giving them a year to get the job done doesn't work.

• Like 3

On the other side of that, who's had the greatest success? Corps with stable, consistent, and EFFECTIVE staffs...BD and Cadets, primarily.

When you have creative and administrative staff that's been at the corps since long before any of the current members were leacherous gleams in their daddy's eyes (Downey, Gibbs, ScoJo) and they long ago learned how to effectively work together, that says a great deal....the revolving door looking for that perfect staffer and them only giving them a year to get the job done doesn't work.

If I could give 20 greenies...I'd give it to this post! In many ways, DC design teams are a marriage...a partnership. A slog through opinions and personality that survives if you give it time and acceptance that all can contribute. Talking about new staff additions is always fun to gab about here on DCP and certainly can give a corps a bounce in alumni opinion and support, but success is build on stability and how the design team works in the long haul. Every now and then one addition makes an immediate difference (Paul Rennick) but he was no stranger to the team already in place at SCV, so that almost doesn't count.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1