Staff changes

Strong source confirming that Michael Shapiro is staying at Blue Stars. The remainder of the design team is new and already in-place. Unconfirmed but the word is that Tim Fairbanks will be on drill and Richard Saucedo will arrange the brass book. Haven't heard anything about percussion or program coordinator yet. I can't confirm any of this directly but it sounds credible. If it's true I think this is a VERY strong team.

IF that's true, that's great! :thumbup: Hopefully they'll get someone just as good running the percussion and that's a great team like you said! I'll wait for an official announcement before I get too excited.

Edited by DrumManTx

I think you're being a bit hard on Bluecoats corps in 7th-12th place. Lets not forget that Steve Brubaker ( who taught Gaines) wrote the drill for one of those lower placing shows. The Bluecoats placed that low because they weren't aiming for higher placements.

Let's not confuse all of these ideas please! You do a disservice to the past!

This is an interesting splinter to the topic. It feels a bit like a backhanded compliment towards 7-12 Bluecoats. Would you carecare to elaborate on this opinion?

BTW - Brubaker wrote more than one of those shows when Bluecoats allegedly weren't interested in higher placements.

This is an interesting splinter to the topic. It feels a bit like a backhanded compliment towards 7-12 Bluecoats. Would you carecare to elaborate on this opinion?

BTW - Brubaker wrote more than one of those shows when Bluecoats allegedly weren't interested in higher placements.

I know much of what Brubaker wrote; I was around and spoke with him personally about what he was doing back at the time. I very much admired his work with Bluecoats, Star, and the Cavaliers ( I know he worked with several other corps, bands, and guards too).

Yes, it was a compliment to the Bluecoats and their designs during those years, and it was not meant to be considered a backhanded compliment at all. It was a compliment and a defense to the quality of those 7-12 place shows.

Those shows were design to get Bluecoats into finals and keep them there, where they could be entertaining. The Bluecoats' goal at the time wasn't to win DCI.

As I seem to recall, they wanted to have a quality and entertaining corps, which they DID. It rubs me the wrong way when people criticize corps' designs in the 7-12th place area as if they're not worthy when these corps often have some of the same design staff as the top 6. So, I responded to that... rolleyes.gif

It's been several days since I read DCP, so I'm not sure what the original post was at the moment. Curious, this topic was already splintered, and I addressed someone demeaning the caliber of design of those very good Bluecoats shows and their "staffs".

Why would you address me like you did above? satisfied.gif Most of it is borderline condescending without much reason... rock.gif

What's up with that?

• Like 1

Strong source confirming that Michael Shapiro is staying at Blue Stars. The remainder of the design team is new and already in-place. Unconfirmed but the word is that Tim Fairbanks will be on drill and Richard Saucedo will arrange the brass book. Haven't heard anything about percussion or program coordinator yet. I can't confirm any of this directly but it sounds credible. If it's true I think this is a VERY strong team.

I REALLY liked Fairbanks drill in 2010 to the point that I, as a drill designer, change a lot of how I wrote based on his book that season.

Saucedo: It will be nice to have his books back on the field. I wonder if they are changing brass approaches too? (Away from the DVD influence).

• Like 1

Well rumors are confirmed. They are definitely pulling in some great people in the activity. Should make for an interesting year to say the least.

http://www.bluestars.org/story.php?story_id=665

John and Ian are awesome guys with a great taste for design and innovative instructional techniques. They will do a great job at Blue Stars!

Well rumors are confirmed. They are definitely pulling in some great people in the activity. Should make for an interesting year to say the least.

http://www.bluestars.org/story.php?story_id=665

Not sure why people continue to use people who have failed elsewhere. Sausedo will be great. Fairbanks at Bluecoats and Teal was a disaster. The percussion guys are new to the Summer. We'll see how they do when not on the board that controls the activity with 10 groups.

• Like 3

Saucedo: It will be nice to have his books back on the field. I wonder if they are changing brass approaches too? (Away from the DVD influence).

They moved away from that this year, i believe, which was unfortunate.

Not sure why people continue to use people who have failed elsewhere. Sausedo will be great. Fairbanks at Bluecoats and Teal was a disaster. The percussion guys are new to the Summer. We'll see how they do when not on the board that controls the activity with 10 groups.

Tim never wrote drill for Teal Sound, Noah Bellamy did. And Tim wrote the drill for the highest ranking Bluecoats ever. And it appears John and Ian, despite being fantastic in other activities are still not impressive enough for you. So jaded.

Edited by 92dci

fairbanks at bluecoats was far from a disaster

as for saucedo, never was too big of a fan of his original music, but his arrangements are terrific, will be interesting to see which direction they decide to go with programming. Fairbanks stages guard decently from what I remember so that should help shapiro

Edited by general_tsos_chicken2
  • Like 1