A plea to *insert corps name here*

Also, I dearly wish that some corps would consider a tribute show for Michael Brecker. He was not well connected to the activity, but he was a prodigious jazz performer and a thoughtful composer. He passed away a little while ago, far too young.

His recent album of music for a larger ensemble, WIDE ANGLES, has several gems. My very favorite of his work is his disc with McCoy Tyner, INFINITY. Also I think he has some writing credits for the group STEPS AHEAD that might be worthwhile.

Love Michael Brecker! Steps Ahead was a great direction as well. And don't even get me started on the Brecker Bros. "Some Skunk Funk", "East River", etc. . .

If you are looking for a nice tribute, check out:

Chuck Owen & The Jazz Surge

"The Comet's Tail"

I think you'll like it! :worthy:

best,

Chuck Naffier

Michael Brecker Fan

Dear Phantom Regiment,

I would like no one to be killed in your show next year. I was going to suggest you go in the opposite direction - but that would mean a birth on the field and I don't want to see that either.

Thank you,

A fan.

• Like 2

Phantom Regiment: Ein Heldenleben

They just teased everyone with the fanfare at the beginning of Spartacus in 08. They need use more of it. Much much more. The end of the 4th mvt screams Regiment.

please

Someday, one day, a drum corps will take a single piece of classical music of appropriate length, and play it beginning to end, because real music, real, substantial, meaningful musical ideas deserve more than one or two minutes on a field, sliced and chopped into a salad of snippets and themes. Carolina Crown came so close this year with that monumental masterwork of arranging, that cathedral of polyphony and substance and musical exposition. I hold nothing against the Blue Devils and their dozen selections this, or the insane combinations of the Cavaliers or Cadets arranging, but surely of all people, drum corps fans, musicians, must have attention spans long enough to appreciate one magnificent selection executed to perfection. Or maybe I just love the Bach method of composition too much.

For example, what of Mahler V, i, or the Chaconne from Bach's Violin Partita No. 2, or the Overture to Der Freischutz, or Beethoven's Piano Concerto IV, i?

Failing that, true Classical music deserves more attention and respect on the DCI field. While Phantom Regiment's dedication to Mahler and Shostakovich is impressive and laudable, and plenty of "pops" have been played by a variety of corps, where are the great, timeless, and revolutionary works of the Western canon? Where is the B Minor Mass, or the St. Matthew Passion? Where are the symphonies of Haydn and Mozart? Where is Don Giovanni's hellish demise, or the glorious triumph of Eroica?

• Like 1

Someday, one day, a drum corps will take a single piece of classical music of appropriate length, and play it beginning to end, because real music, real, substantial, meaningful musical ideas deserve more than one or two minutes on a field, sliced and chopped into a salad of snippets and themes. Carolina Crown came so close this year with that monumental masterwork of arranging, that cathedral of polyphony and substance and musical exposition. I hold nothing against the Blue Devils and their dozen selections this, or the insane combinations of the Cavaliers or Cadets arranging, but surely of all people, drum corps fans, musicians, must have attention spans long enough to appreciate one magnificent selection executed to perfection. Or maybe I just love the Bach method of composition too much.

For example, what of Mahler V, i, or the Chaconne from Bach's Violin Partita No. 2, or the Overture to Der Freischutz, or Beethoven's Piano Concerto IV, i?

Failing that, true Classical music deserves more attention and respect on the DCI field. While Phantom Regiment's dedication to Mahler and Shostakovich is impressive and laudable, and plenty of "pops" have been played by a variety of corps, where are the great, timeless, and revolutionary works of the Western canon? Where is the B Minor Mass, or the St. Matthew Passion? Where are the symphonies of Haydn and Mozart? Where is Don Giovanni's hellish demise, or the glorious triumph of Eroica?

Shoot, you could do an entire show of Rhapsody In Blue and never have to chop it up!

Crossmen- Rhapsody In Blue, and only RIB

Blue Stars-Star Trek, especially music from the most recent movie.

Crown- Lord of the Rings

• Like 1

Dear Regiment,

Why not a show about Amelia Earhart? What a great vehicle to showcase one the best guards on the field and still keep true to your design style. Amelia isn't actually killed off, she just disappears. Thinking that would be a compromise for those who don't want a death scene and those who want something to happen to the main character.

Thoughts?

Respectfully submitted,

xoxoxoxo

Sutasaurus

Troopers: The Music from Iron Will (the movie) it screams Troopers and would be a great vehicle for them

Phantom: "Les Folies Bergères" - An iconoic look back at the Moulin Rouge (not the movie- the actual place) with music from Jacques Offenbach

Cavies: "It's not Easy Being Green" - could be a fun comeback theme for 2013

Crossmen: "Fossy" Featuring Life Is a Bowl of Cherries, Bye-Bye Black Bird' big Spender etc...

Later,

Mike

Phantom: The finale from Mahler 7. You'll need a trumpet with mad chops, but I'm guessing you can dig one out from somewhere.

Blue Devils: If you want to continue in this artsy direction, fine: Stan Kenton's "This is an Orchestra"

Cavaliers: Do something similar to 2012, but make it so people who aren't me enjoy it too.

Blue Stars: Short Ride in a Fast Machine- it's fast and complex, just how you like it. Oh, and no props, por favor!

SCV: I think it's time to rehash Festive Overture again.

Oh, and Troop: Billy the Kid, by Copland. And Billy Joel. Combine them.

• Like 3

Pioneer - Throw some Bluegrass into your show. After all, it is a derivation of Irish music.

Or exploit your South African connection by choosing something from Hugh Masekela's or Miriam Mekeba's discography.