"Pushing the Boundaries of Innovation" vs "Tradition"

You are not a traditionalist! Traditionalists want to preserve most of what drum and bugle corps were when the activity began. Continuing to expand the boundaries of instrumentation and non-military style of marching is not preserving of tradition in any way.

Just off the top of my head and not having thought about details, I think DCI should consider having two classifications: Traditional and, for lack of a better word, Non-Traditional. Then you could make both the older and newer fans happy and possibly increase the fan base by bringing back some of the older fans who have gone. To be a Traditional corps there would be no amplification or non-military marching by the brass and percussion allowed. The auxiliary could do anything, like dancing and posing and rolling on the ground. Also, to keep the props to a minimum, only auxiliary members can touch the props during the performance. This keeps the musicians marching instead of acting like stage hands. There would be prelims in each division and finals could consist of the top 6 scoring corps in each classification. Of course, the judging sheets would be different for each division but I don't think you'd need a separate judging panel for each group.

Any major problems with that concept? I'm going to think about that some more.

Uh oh. I just thought of a problem. During the season there would be a mix of corps at each show. Hmmmmm. How would that be handled? Anyone?

You are not a traditionalist! Traditionalists want to preserve most of what drum and bugle corps were when the activity began. Continuing to expand the boundaries of instrumentation and non-military style of marching is not preserving of tradition in any way.

Just off the top of my head and not having thought about details, I think DCI should consider having two classifications: Traditional and, for lack of a better word, Non-Traditional. Then you could make both the older and newer fans happy and possibly increase the fan base by bringing back some of the older fans who have gone. To be a Traditional corps there would be no amplification or non-military marching by the brass and percussion allowed. The auxiliary could do anything, like dancing and posing and rolling on the ground. Also, to keep the props to a minimum, only auxiliary members can touch the props during the performance. This keeps the musicians marching instead of acting like stage hands. There would be prelims in each division and finals could consist of the top 6 scoring corps in each classification. Of course, the judging sheets would be different for each division but I don't think you'd need a separate judging panel for each group.

Uh oh. I just thought of a problem. During the season there would be a mix of corps at each show. Hmmmmm. How would that be handled? Anyone?

now that you think you pleased the audience ( debateable ) whos marching these " traditional corps " especially if you going back to the true roots.......now dont have exceptions..its all or nothing

• Like 1

I didn't see Brasso's post before I posted my idea of having more than one division. He's a genius :lookaround:

Actually, I've come around to the idea that we should indeed open the floodgates. My only stipulation would be to keep the member limit the same. Be as creative as you like - as long as you can do it with 150 kids. Throw in woodwinds (though I doubt you'd hear them as anything but solo instruments), choirs (actually, I think this would be brilliant for a few reasons), lighting, pyrotechnics... the kitchen sink. Just limit how many folks can be doing it.

Though I'd also prefer to see a new top division created with these rules, and only that top division.

Mike

I understand your point on the numbers.

My numbers thought is that is a corps only need 100 people for a show - GO FOR IT. If you need 100-200 extra folks standing on the back sideline singing (and can afford to house, feed and tranport them) WHY NOT... Go FOR IT. It is needed for the show design.

That is it. The corps is responsible for it's numbers.

I've suggested that DCI have 2 Divisions : a) Traditional and b) Avant-garde.

Winner!!

In WGI there are independent and scholastic units. Why can't DCI have a traditional class?

• Like 1

now that you think you pleased the audience ( debateable ) whos marching these " traditional corps " especially if you going back to the true roots.......now dont have exceptions..its all or nothing

Excellent point. We all assume the kids of today will want to be in a "trad corps" vs. "rad corps"

• Like 1

People just LOVE their boundaries. Those boundaries set up way of defining things such as "TRADITION" and "INNOVATION". BREAK THOSE BOUNDARIES DOWN... Stop thinking in segments and groups and the way it was and the way it might be. Think of it as ONE BIG ACTIVITY.

I am proposing get rid of all the boundaries and let corps be corps - all together on the same field - side by side. I want people to bring back high-stepping and g-bugles (which sir - is traditional) but they should be able to fairly compete side by side with a barnum and bailey laser light freak show.

AT THE END OF THE NIGHT - You will have a favorite corps that is defined by you and what you like. You also might see some freaky stuff called innovation.

The same marchers that are marching a Corps like the Madison Scouts ( for just one example ). Who knows how many Championships Carolina Crown might have won the last few years competing in the Traditional Division, where audience engagement was truly amd genuinely rewarded on the scoring sheets. Likewise, BD would STILL have placed placed 1st in the Avarde Garde Division. That'd be fine too, imo.

And Gawd knows.. Jersey Surf may not win or place highly in the performance and execution captions in Traditional Division, but we can probably all agree that they'd never finish near the bottom in " Music's General Effect " caption in this Division under the judging sheets that'd be utilized in this division.

Edited by BRASSO

A quick analogy for everyone:

A novice painter is confused by all the choices in color and mediums

A good painter has chose his medium but is still exploring all the colors

A great painter has a large palette of well chosen colors and knows the medium well.

A master painter uses a minimal palette and each stroke of paint is determined before ever touching the canvas.

Why is this -1'd? He's absolutely right.

• Like 1

Excellent point. We all assume the kids of today will want to be in a "trad corps" vs. "rad corps"

Depends on when they actually hear the true sound and feel the energy of one of those "trad corps" vs. "rad corps"

It has been a while since people have heard a conical bore bugle hornline open up and play.