toc vs the rest

Agreed, that would be easy. You'd see everyone versus top 8. Plus you can go to the bathroom during shows you dislike. Let's rephrase the question, then: One day of Allentown (i.e. half the corps, more or less evenly split in terms of rankings) versus ToC top 8?

I'd probably still go with ToC, not because I'd necessarily love all the shows, but because the performance level is generally going to be higher. Sure, I was more entertained watching 2012 Jersey Surf than Cavies, but custom designing the lineup is presumably not part of the hypothetical :-)

Another factor is the more fan-friendly sectionals, etc. that occur at ToC shows. I found those to be quite entertaining as well.

I'd probably pick the TOC show, but it would depend on the lineup of the other event. Sadly, I still haven't convinced DCI to program "All the shows ShortAndFast wants to see" night at Allentown...

Well, if some rumors that I have heard have any significance, you all just might get to exercise this option late next year.

Actually, I passed on a ToC show about 30 minutes away from me (Houston) and didn't go to any show at all because of the cost. When the cost for a ToC show is only $5-$15 less than a regional, it's beyond ridiculous!

If you some strange reason, on the same day in the same city, there was a TOC show and a "everybody else" show. Which one would you go to?

In 2010 I went to Allentown, both nights; 2011, TOC at MetLife; 2012, I considered my options and went back to TOC/Metlife.

Given the choice between he two, I'd prefer to see everyone at the regional type event. It's just been a question of time and logistics.

A show in a local venue is a great time, too. Clifton, Jackson, NJ - places like that. A high school stadium (the corps up close and in your face!), maybe a mix of touring corps and local teams, reasonably priced concession stuff prepared by local booster moms. Grass roots, the essence of the activity, no?

Fred O.

Obviously as you posed it, most are going to pick TOC.

But in reality, the choice is usually a regional with everyone vs. TOC-only (e.g. Minneapolis or Rockford, San Antonio or Houston, Allentown or East Rutherford). I'd pick the regional event for any of those as I'd want to see Scouts, BK, Crossmen, Academy, Surf, etc.

That is WHY I went to both Allentown and East Rutherford...This way I didn't have to choose.

Edited by Liahona

If you some strange reason, on the same day in the same city, there was a TOC show and a "everybody else" show. Which one would you go to?

For myself personally...I only went to the TOC for one main reason and that was because Boston was part of the event. So if I were making my choice between the two it would be the show that Boston was participating in that would be the determinate factor for me.

• Like 2

I think the real question here should be what are the qualifications for TOC

I'm not a fan of the TOC concept. But yours is a very good question. I have no idea what the qualifications are other than I believe that you must finish in the top 8 in DCI from the previous year to be included in the TOC for the following season.

Unfortunately DCI has never explicitly stated what the rules are for the TOC show. The G7 proposal in 2010, IIRC, spelled out something convoluted about being in the top 8 two of the past three years because Phantom had just finished ninth in 2009, but that would have meant a nine-corps show this year with both Boston and Blue Stars.

I think it's just been easy to go with top 8, but if Cavies had finished 9th, that would have been very interesting...

I would go to see everyone else. Every single time... :devil:

• Like 1