Merging World Class and Open Class

A little birdie, aka public documents on the Internet, has led me to believe that DCI is considering merging World Class and Open Class and just having all corps compete on a level playing field throughout the season. This was discussed as recently as this Spring.

Rather than link to the documents myself and risk them getting taken down, I'll leave it to you guys to find them (Google is your friend) if you care, though it's just a one-sentence blurb, and no more detailed than what I've posted. Suffice it to say, they're from a highly reliable source.

I have no clue what to think about such a proposal, so I'm interested in what the DCP community thinks. Given the newly merged prelims/semis, I don't think this is a huge surprise. And with the ever-shrinking number of corps out there, it may even make sense. However, as some folks have pointed out in other discussions, separate championships for separate classes gives small-scale corps something realistic to strive for.

Would a corps like Oregon Crusaders benefit from such a move? What about Blue Saints? Pioneer? Blue Devils B?

Would DCI the organization benefit? Would fans? DCP moderators would have less housekeeping to do, I suppose.

Edited by skywhopper

I believe that what is coming is the "G8" concept will go to the top 12. Get in finals and you are "World Class" then there will be everyone else. It will all be tied to appearance/performance fees and it will now be a get into finals if you want to be a have vs. a have not.

Follow the money.

<SNIP > separate championships for separate classes gives small-scale corps something realistic to strive for.

This ^

Don't get me wrong, I love the whole darn big thing at prelims, but I think there still needs to be an OC circuit for growing corps and those content to stay in a comparably competitive field. Of course I'll be thrilled for the corps that decide to move up with the big dogs and do longer tours and wish them nothing but success. I just wish the OC would get more love from the fans beyond their parents :(

• Like 4

I like it. throw them all in the same pool and see who swims to the top.

The future could See 2 Devils corps & 2 SCV corps finals night. Give the big boys something never been done.

...I've been a proponent of same sheets since the day they changed 'em! I understand the reasoning but still think the kids deserve to know where they stand against the best the activity has to offer...numbers are only as relevant as they are weighted. If membership is informed and has its collective head screwed on correctly, even a bad number has plus-side effect.

• Like 1

Who says a return to the 70's is a bad thing?

That's exactly what this is, after all!

And oddly enough, having taught in what used to be Div 3 - I'm not sure of how I feel about it. I agree with the point of giving the smaller corps something realistic to strive for.