Merging World Class and Open Class

Let's be best friends.

I was literally coming in to once again talk about a weekend-only, WGI Percussion-esque A Class. I really think that is the only way drum corps is going to survive.

I really like the weekend only regional idea for low-budget corps. It's something we're trying to foster here in Ontario.

• Like 4

e

I may get things backwards sometimes, but I can read between the lines. I have heard talk of a developing proposal, and the topics coming up in this discussion confirm the rumors I have been hearing.

Combine the classes, but create new tiers? That just serves to adjust the relative number of haves versus have-nots, in favor of the haves.

Top 12 as a new payout tier? How will the next 12 compete with that?

More separate events for separate tiers? Which events should we separate next? We already did Friday and Sunday. Who wants to see the big Saturday regionals with top-corps-only shows, or separate tiers on separate tours during the week? Those are the only possibilities.

Give open-class appearance fees, but take away their championship events? You can bet that the fee payouts will be set so that this change is a cost saving to DCI.

I think flammaster had it right - the end times are coming.

l

Why are those the only possibilities? You don't have to have separate Tier shows. They mix Open and World Class already on the tour. The payout is something that I have no knowledge about...but that too can be discussed. After all, if there's a Tier battle going on (and believe me, they're going on already unofficially), what's to say that it won't get a fan base of its own and draw a new audience. Let's not be so focused on past failures that we lose sight of future possibilities.

Edited by Plan9
  • Like 1

e l

Why are those the only possibilities? You don't have to have separate Tier shows. They mix Open and World Class already on the tour. The payout is something that I have no knowledge about...but that too can be discussed. After all, if there's a Tier battle going on (and believe me, they're going on already unofficially), what's to say that it won't get a fan base of its own and draw a new audience. Let's not be so focused on past failures that we lose sight of future possibilities.

Humans have the tendency to divide. Teirs/divisions/classes and so on. It helps people see individuals as individuals. It happens in all parts of society.

I actually like putting everyone in the the same group.

I originally wrote a long explanation but just imagine this. When people look at a tree do they see the entire tree or do they look at all the individual leaves that make up that tree. Now do the same with two trees, three trees and so on. At some point you loose the trees altogether and have a forest. People have the tendency to loose the leaves for the sake of the forest.

I am for having something similiar to Division II and III again. Maybe, just maybe, a few more smaller corps would start up and have a chance for success in a division III.

• Like 1

I am for having something similiar to Division II and III again. Maybe, just maybe, a few more smaller corps would start up and have a chance for success in a division III.

The problem is, the divisions just keep getting smaller and smaller. There aren't enough corps for 3 divisions. If you want to start a division for 'starter corps', you probably would move some (the top end) of open class into world, and then have a fairly small 'starter' division in open.

Believe it or not, my understanding is that everyone will be a little happy and a little not happy at the same time.

That's probably a sign that it's a good plan, IMO.

How does this make the G7 a little happy? What do they get out of it? (Not arguing - sincerely curious.)

Mike

The problem is, the divisions just keep getting smaller and smaller. There aren't enough corps for 3 divisions. If you want to start a division for 'starter corps', you probably would move some (the top end) of open class into world, and then have a fairly small 'starter' division in open.

But if the starter division can compete on a weekend only basis with maybe a regional championship attended by a few of the bigger corps, that would go a long way to helping the situation for startups. Over time as those kids look for a bigger challenge, you might see some of those kids move up to one of the bigger corps.

Done properly this could work.

Well in WGI this is addressed by making the classes about the skill set and not the tour. Personally, I think that would be a fine model to copy anyway. A Class has a tendency to grow faster than the other two classes, and whenever that occurs promotions are made of the other top tier groups to even the playing field. Also, by allowing A Class to not tour, after the initial few years, you're likely to see most new corps start with this model.

• Like 1