Merging World Class and Open Class

In Ontario we are networking a few people in different cities interested in getting something started in their area. We have a small cache of equipment and uniforms that can be loaned out as the groups get on their feet and start appearing in local parades etc. Right now to my knowledge there are 5 such start up projects underway. With the addition of established bands and ensembles, alumni corps and the Blue Saints we could potentially have enough for a decent show in each of those cities in a couple of years.

That is great stuff. Best of luck.

I'm not as sanguine as you that there are lots of kids just waiting to spend a lot of time working on a show just to compete 3 or 4 times pre season, if they are lucky. What about geographic areas where DCI comes to town once a year, and maybe not even on a weekend?

Obviously DCI's tour will grow as these newer groups would be formed, so the people in Texas, California, etc. will have to be the first ones to make the jump. Cali already has a few who are trying to do something like this in the form of Impulse or City Sound.

As far as there not being a lot of students who will put in a lot of work just for a few regional shows, I disagree. I think that 36,000 students is a lot.

I'm not as sanguine as you that there are lots of kids just waiting to spend a lot of time working on a show just to compete 3 or 4 times pre season, if they are lucky. What about geographic areas where DCI comes to town once a year, and maybe not even on a weekend?

exactly. kids either want it all, or not at all. even the top OC corps run busier schedules

A little birdie, aka public documents on the Internet, has led me to believe that DCI is considering merging World Class and Open Class and just having all corps compete on a level playing field throughout the season. This was discussed as recently as this Spring.

Rather than link to the documents myself and risk them getting taken down, I'll leave it to you guys to find them (Google is your friend) if you care, though it's just a one-sentence blurb, and no more detailed than what I've posted. Suffice it to say, they're from a highly reliable source.

I have no clue what to think about such a proposal, so I'm interested in what the DCP community thinks. Given the newly merged prelims/semis, I don't think this is a huge surprise. And with the ever-shrinking number of corps out there, it may even make sense. However, as some folks have pointed out in other discussions, separate championships for separate classes gives small-scale corps something realistic to strive for.

Would a corps like Oregon Crusaders benefit from such a move? What about Blue Saints? Pioneer? Blue Devils B?

Would DCI the organization benefit? Would fans? DCP moderators would have less housekeeping to do, I suppose.

I don't see a move like this benefiting Pioneer, but would likely benefit the top current OC corps.

Edited by BozzlyB

Spokane Thunder stayed in the Northwest this season. Their five-contest season lasted one week. Interestingly, they also fielded their largest corps ever (38B/13FP/7PP/14G).

• Like 1

A little birdie, aka public documents on the Internet, has led me to believe that DCI is considering merging World Class and Open Class and just having all corps compete on a level playing field throughout the season. This was discussed as recently as this Spring.

Rather than link to the documents myself and risk them getting taken down, I'll leave it to you guys to find them (Google is your friend) if you care, though it's just a one-sentence blurb, and no more detailed than what I've posted. Suffice it to say, they're from a highly reliable source.

I have no clue what to think about such a proposal, so I'm interested in what the DCP community thinks. Given the newly merged prelims/semis, I don't think this is a huge surprise. And with the ever-shrinking number of corps out there, it may even make sense. However, as some folks have pointed out in other discussions, separate championships for separate classes gives small-scale corps something realistic to strive for.

Would a corps like Oregon Crusaders benefit from such a move? What about Blue Saints? Pioneer? Blue Devils B?

Would DCI the organization benefit? Would fans? DCP moderators would have less housekeeping to do, I suppose.

This used to be the norm in DCM. I think it's great, let all the corps know where they stand on the world sheets. smile.gif

Division I, II, III.

II/III have their own divisional Finals as well as a joint Finals (ala, how it was before WC/OC)

All compete at Div I Prelims.

If the argument of 21 Div I corps for 25 Div I Semis is made... Why not make it 18 or 20 spots for Semis, and have it be a number based on overall Div I competing corps?