Merging World Class and Open Class

...what a hot mess...lol

Ha! So true. I too looked at some of our old scores and was baffled at how we managed a 20 point drop from one night to the next... :huh: Still, we had a blast.

Ha! So true. I too looked at some of our old scores and was baffled at how we managed a 20 point drop from one night to the next... :huh: Still, we had a blast.

lol....I was shocked when I looked back.......lol.....I actually said , I DONT REMEMBER THAT?....lol..so muchfor youth.....kids are much more savy today than we were I guess.

How about this?: Merge away.....then create Tier winners....hell, tier battles go on anyway. Why not split World Class in two, and have two medal rounds! I know Open vs World is the same thing...but having 12 competitors in a category pits a narrower group of corps in a fight for the top all season..and makes the medals not so #### far away for some corps. Like we celebrate a corps making finals...we could actually have four such groupings. Excuse me now, I'm running for the sandbag bunker, avoiding the dino spital about to be heaped on me! :peek:

so in other words, have world class and open class

here's a serious question. When in this world did we all of a sudden need to have multiple winners for the sake of having multiple winners?

Today and yesterday's judging are both subjective. Back then judges could choose to look for every possible way to tic us - or they could choose to not see certain things (thus, no tic). Depended on the judge and who the competition was that evening.

There were shows where a judge would be watching every move - if every move wasn't completely synchronized, sharpen the pencil and tic away - this judge was just waiting for the errors. Was everyone's feet pointing in the exact same direction? Were fingers on the rifles at the exact position for everyone? Were all triples (doubles, whatever) at the exact same height and caught at the exact same time (with all bodies perfectly straight, no wiggle on the rifles and everyone's hands in the same position)? If not - tic away.

Then there would be shows where there would be a dropped rifle and it would be over a minute before the judge noticed and returned the rifle to the marcher - this judge simply wasn't paying attention (whether by choice, ADD, or other reason is anyone's guess).

Yet, we'd get home and I'd be asked what our score was or how we placed - and I couldn't answer - it didn't matter to me.

I hate the idea. So you let a small Open Class corps score a 30 at the first show and and finish the season at a 60 and compete with The Cadets head to head? Why not make every show random order so the crowd can get in on the fun? As far as I can tell the current system works just fine. It seems DCI changes the format of classes, finals week, caption awards etc every few years. I suspect if they throw all the corps in one division it will only last one or two years. By then someone will see that the Colt Cadets should not be matched up agains Santa Clara in Semi Finals.

The G7 concept really ticks me off. When did it become the G8? As memory serves the original corps in the "Great 7" were The Cadets, The Cavaliers, Blue Devils, Bluecoats, Phantom Regiment, Santa Clara Vanguard and Carolina Crown. The TOC is 8 corps, for whatever reason. I suspect the TOC invited 8 corps so they wouldn't seem exclusive. By the way, the first corps in the TOC that wasn't G7 is the Blue Stars, a corps that now sits in 13th place.

Edited by jonnyboy
  • Like 1

The other side of the coin (literally) is the potential for appearance money for OC level corps. Assuming that could be negotiated, I most definitely like the idea. The little guys could use some help. Survival trumps scoring considerations, IMHO.

I could be worng on this, but I thought that the OC corps got some sort of revenue from DCI at the end of the season, and that the OC directors wanted it this way.

• Like 1

Today and yesterday's judging are both subjective. Back then judges could choose to look for every possible way to tic us - or they could choose to not see certain things (thus, no tic). Depended on the judge and who the competition was that evening.

This is the concept of tolerance I was talking about above. the attempt to judge at a national linear level in the Garden State Circuit was a complete disaster...so much so that they abandoned it during the middle of the season, sort of "on the sly", since those changes would normally not happen until the congress after the season ended. It was what would today be called a hot mess.

How does this affect the G-8? Keeping them in DCI is already questionable, I feel - is this a reactive or proactive move? (note: I have no information; just speculation)

-Mike

Believe it or not, my understanding is that everyone will be a little happy and a little not happy at the same time.

That's probably a sign that it's a good plan, IMO.