DCI Attendance Figures Released

To reiterate, I think the numbers are the attendance figures including comp tickets. I am not saying they are incorrect.

Comp tickets are not included in "paid attendance" figures. The never have been, and never will be. This question is asked and dismissed every year.

• Like 1

For Thursday night, DCI ranked above Ted and Spider Man in revenue and ahead of Dark Knight and Total Recall in per screen average;

in fact it was #1 in per screen average...by almost double.

Not an opinion.

http://boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-08-09&p=.htm

And of course the per screen attendance will go down if more than one theater in a municipality decides to screen it.

Its not like Home Depot expects their business to double in a town when they add a second store...or a third; one cannibalizes the other to a degree, but they get the benefit of a net increase in customer base and a degree of scale. Not that business sense or a discussion on economics has much to do with making sense on DCP :)

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 3

For Thursday night, DCI ranked above Ted and Spider Man in revenue and ahead of Dark Knight and Total Recall in per screen average; in fact it was #1 in per screen average...by almost double.

Not an opinion.

And of course the per screen attendance will go down if more than one theater in a municipality decides to screen it.

Pretty cool, right there.

I'm not the greatest at estimating crowds, but I thought the crowds seemed smaller than what has been posted, but since larger numbers are better, I'm glad to be wrong!

I love Big, Live, and Loud, but this year I had the opportunity to go to Indy, so obviously I was not there. However, I think Thursday and Friday could be live streamed and have finals in the theater on Saturday. I would think it would generate a much larger crowd due to the fact it is on a Saturday night and it is finals. I know length of time might be an issue, but theaters broadcast Wagner operas live from the Met which are about as long as finals. It would not keep people going to see DCI live either and if anything might increase DVD/Blu-Ray sales. It would also be great exposure for DCI. One thing I can say after seeing finals in Foxboro (94/2005) and in Indy this past year, DCI knows how to do finals!

Comp tickets are not included in "paid attendance" figures. The never have been, and never will be. This question is asked and dismissed every year.

I was referring to the "attendance" figures. Not the "paid attendance" figures.

Please read.

I DID NOT SAY "PAID ATTENDANCE".

I am being very specific with my wording. Please read it.

Edited by barigirl78

For Thursday night, DCI ranked above Ted and Spider Man in revenue and ahead of Dark Knight and Total Recall in per screen average;

Not an opinion.

http://boxofficemojo...12-08-09&p=.htm

Its not like Home Depot expects their business to double in a town when they add a second store...or a third; one cannibalizes the other to a degree, but they get the benefit of a net increase in customer base and a degree of scale. Not that business sense or a discussion on economics has much to do with making sense on DCP :)

Your business sense sounds good to me, but then again I can't balance my checkbook. I'm not sure that more than on theater in an area is the problem, but lack of screens could be. I was talking with someone from Mississippi who told me he has to travel three hours to see Big, Live, and Loud, but he travelled!There is an audience for Big, Live, and Loud and even in areas where drum corps shows are well attended, some don't know it exists. So with a bit more publicity and a few more theaters, we could see even better numbers.

Edited by Tim K

I was referring to the "attendance" figures. Not the "paid attendance" figures.

Please read.

I DID NOT SAY "PAID ATTENDANCE".

I am being very specific with my wording. Please read it.

Sigh. STOP YELLING AT PEOPLE WHO KNOW WHAT THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT. There are two kinds of attendance figures. Paid and unpaid. Period. The article posted at DCI.org clearly states:

"The attendance for the three-day event totals 36,494, which does not include thousands of corps and staff members who entered the stadium after performances with wristbands or staff/VIP credentials."

That is the category comp tickets fall into. Once again, this topic has been raised, discussed, refuted, blended, pureed, chopped, and diced every stinking year on DCP. Comp tickers are NOT considered paid attendance, and aren't included in the figures cited.

Now, if this has changed, DCI would/should state so. Since they haven't, the discussion is moot until someone proves otherwise.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 3

So just to put this a bit in perspective, the "historic" attendance at Lucas Oil is less than every other finals of the last 19 years except possibly for 96-98 Orlando.

If DCI can continue to increase finals attendance by 2.6% a year, they'll match Pasadena attendance on the 20th anniversary of the Indy deal in 2028.

:spitting:

that is kind of telling, isn't it?

• Like 1

That's actually a bit distressing. The average number of fans per screen decreased from 400 in 2004 to 66 this year.

I'm not a theatre manager and maybe it's OK to get 66 people into a 5 hour screening on an off night, paying twice the average ticket price, buying popcorn etc. But if we assume that there is a large deviation to this number (KoP certainly had 250 or more, so somewhere else may have had 10) I'd expect the number of screens to retrench.

In my opinion this is very typical of an expanding product, and is actually pretty decent. Depending on their cost structure, a theatre owner would welcome an additional 66 people and an additional ~$1,250 bucks. They likely didnt have to hire additional staff, they were already open and it would have been an empty theatre in many cases. Their only cost is mostly whatever they paid fathom / dci. So letys assume they had to split the proceeds, their net would have been somewhere around $700, which is about $700 more than they would have made otherwise. I would guess DCI made about $100,000 on the deal.

Not an opinion.

What am I missing? I followed that link and don't see DCI listed anywhere.