DCI Attendance Figures Released

I'm sorry if some of us come off as negative, but we're drum corps people. When we get an 83, we want to strive to get an 84. When we get a 92, we want to strive to get a 93. We have it ingrained in our psyches to want to perform better.

So, yeah, we get a little grumpy when things don't perform better.

I think the theater numbers are merely showing that there's a point of diminishing returns where adding more theaters doesn't necessarily add a lot more ticket buyers. The 606 theaters are probably providing decent coverage of the U.S. population and gotten to the point of cannibalizing each other for the same pool of potential attendees.

BTW--when DCI Finals aired on ESPN2 in 2007, Nielsen estimated the number of viewers at about 508,000.

What were the numbers on PBS?

• Like 1

Im glad to see numbers are healthy. Whats astonishing to me is that 40,000 people watched Quarters in 600 theatres...this number is being overlooked, this is huge !

Things change, the criteria of drum corps is changing, the advent of theatre viewing and the numbers it brings is astonishing....

DCI has problems, yes it sure does. Corps are folding, costs are increasing, these things need to be addressed, however, this news is excellent and something positive to build on.

Finals MUST be brought to either theatres or the Internet.....even at full capacity, only half of a stadium could realistically watch championships live.....for 25 to 40 bucks, you can have the "best seat in the house" and theres no way finals attendance will take a hit, even if it drops by a few thousand, the home/theatre viewers will more than make up for it.

Good numbers, lets make this off season a positive one.

Geoffrey

Edited by GMichael1230
  • Like 2

I find it interesting that while DCI touts Indy as centrally located for the majority of fans, Pasadena and Denver have had the two highest ticket sales since 1996. Even those two pale in comparison to Montreal.

Garry in Vegas

Could guess that a big factor is that that those areas dont get full-slate, late season drum corps very often. Spend a few years there and the novelty may wear off. (heck, look at the drop between year 1 and year 2 in indiana)

Edited by AlexL

I think the numbers DCI posted last year and this year are something in between complete attendance and paid tickets. They excluded freebies given to corps staff and corps members in their language. They did not exclude other possible freebies or discounts. Plus, if they'd meant "tickets sold" they'd have said "tickets sold".

You've just got to think about this year as not the only year that they did this. I'm sure that the years that had significantly larger audiences did the freebies as well.

You've just got to think about this year as not the only year that they did this. I'm sure that the years that had significantly larger audiences did the freebies as well.

Well I made sure to note "ticket sales" versus "attendance" in the numbers. They haven't mentioned "ticket sales" in a while now but the late 90s/early 00s numbers were all explicitly "ticket sales".

What were the numbers on PBS?

The total number was higher on PBS but was a more fragmented audience as not all stations carried the broadcast live and it was aired irregualarly over the next couple of months.

I am a high school band director in Indiana, and I know for a fact that there are some 'freebie' ticket handouts for high school bands (I've hosted a corps for Finals week). Each band that hosts a corps receives a set of tickets for their bands to attend the show.

For either Quarterfinals or Semifinals.

I can't say that there are NO freebie tickets for Finals. However, I DO know that the freebie tickets that are printed as gifts to directors and host schools are ONLY valid for Semis and Quarters.

There are some events - such as a clinic for HS band directors, etc... everything is on Semis or Quarters...

Honestly, given the allure of the event, I would find it very hard to believe that there are many (if any) freebie tickets that are printed and scanned for Finals. There may be a few... but there surely can't be many if any at all.

Just giving some info. I find it very hard to believe that the number they're giving us for Finals night is not very very very close to the exact number of tickets paid for.