DCA Annapolis Predictions

Dan, I can imagine some of these predictions are nothing but Red Fuming Nitric Acid poured onto an out of control fire for CV. If I were you, I'd be irritated as well.

Please, don't get me wrong, I really and truly don't care where people feel we are with respect to everyone else. That's not my motivation. All I am saying is let's not loose sight of why we are all doing this and who the beneficiaries are. Every corps member out there, whether they belong to a "contender" or not deserves, and has, my respect and admiration for choosing to give of themselves in the manner we all have. I am just asking that we not loose sight of that fact in our all consuming, all encompasing view of things.

My previous post was not meant to try to vent any frustrations or pent up anger towards anyone's opinion of CV. If it came across that way then I missed my mark and I am sorry. I just feel like we need to keep some of the focus on the dedication and sacrifice of the members that are out there providing all of us here on this forum with the fodder on which to make these predictions we make so confidently sitting safely behind our keyboards.

Dan

Its sooo OLD SCHOOL!

Back in the day, we didnt get a clear picture of the DCI corps until everyone FINALLY got together.

It wasnt til DCI East, DCI Canada or Whitewater that 27th and Bridgemen got on the same field with Blue Devils, Regiment and SCV. We talked "West Coast inflation" and that sort of thing and it only got settled in one place: on the field.

It was late in the season before speculation turned into real conversation, and the unknowns were a good reason to buy a ticket.

DCA has that "thing" here in 2012.

CorpsVets, Renegades, Scouts, Tampa and MBI = Who the heck knows?

Anyone want to talk about "slotting" this year? You cant!

Fact is: Renegades HAVE shown up to DCA in the past, with a bunch of hype, and backed it up (e.g.they've WON HORNS at Prelims).

MBI is the defending Champ...and drums never seem to get that attention as a force til its time to pass out the hardware.

Empire between 4th and 7th? Or not?

Hurcs on the Cabs heels with a really great show...Could you reasonably call them as high as 2nd; and with a few more "close the gap" ingredients see them chasing the Championship? I can.

Kidsgrove and Tampa with very little for us to go on, but bringing nearly full corps?

CV with a chip on their shoulder at being counted out a little and ready to bring it strong (I'd LOVE to be the person delivering the parking lot speech before prelims!)

Midwest, West, South, East and International.

This is fun. Prelims will be fun.

Edited by wishbonecav
  • Like 3

Its sooo OLD SCHOOL!

Back in the day, we didnt get a clear picture of the DCI corps until everyone FINALLY got together. 1st tour gave you a regional idea, but it wasnt til DCI East, DCI Canada or Whitewater that 27th and Bridgemen got on the same field with Blue Devils, Regiment and SCV. There was the "West Coast inflation" and that sort of thing and it only got settled in one place: on the field. It was late in the season before speculation turned into real conversation, and the unknowns were a good reason to buy a ticket.

DCA has that anticipation element here in 2012.

Great points, Joey! :thumbup:

The only difference this time around is that we actually know which corps are going to be there. LOL.

Back in the day, there were times we weren't quite sure until the pre-contest meeting the day before the championship as to who the "new entries" would be. (Those "new" corps would draw for prelims position at that meeting; the member corps had drawn for position before the season even began. There was no seeding process.)

And of course.... it being the pre-Internet era.... all summer there were all kinds of rumors about which corps might be there. "I heard there's this new corps from Canada"... "Someone told me there's a Midwestern corps that's heading East this year"... etc., etc. Fun stuff.

• Like 1

And we waited A WEEK to get the scores from the week before with our very own, freshly minted copy of Drum Corps World!!!

And of course.... it being the pre-Internet era.... all summer there were all kinds of rumors about which corps might be there. "I heard there's this new corps from Canada"... "Someone told me there's a Midwestern corps that's heading East this year"... etc., etc. Fun stuff.

• Like 2

And we waited A WEEK to get the scores from the week before with our very own, freshly minted copy of Drum Corps World!!!

OMG! I remember passing around the latest edition of DCW in Blue Devils back in '82 to see what all the East Coasters were up to. By the time it got to the back of the drum bus it was pretty much trashed!

Dan

• Like 2

And we walked 5 miles to school, in the winter.... with no shoes!!

LOL 1979 DCA between Prelims and Finals we see a new corps huddled up and go walking over. Next thing they start screaming running around and guy picks me up in a bearhug yelling "We're in.... we're in...". My response was "Great.... Who ARE you?". Couldn't figure out what the answer was due to accent, his excitement and my lack of French...

Found out later from ye olde DCN.... La Clique Alouette.....

LMAO my first DCA in 1974, talking to some folks from Boys/Spirit of 76. "WOW you came all the way from Wisconsoin for DCA?????"