Field Judges

While I don't know for certain, something tells me that the OP doesn't qualify for the "older" title...

Charlie, are you a geezer? :tongue:

If a "fairly recent" DCI grad counts as a geezer god help us all!

Had no idea my idea was more of "dino" idea. I'll be honest, I'm feel the percussion judge is probably where my complaints lie. The judge misses huge chunks of battery, bigger chunks of pit, and his read can never be adequate enough to judge the full program. I hate how he runs back and forth.. ugh... front to back front to back...

you still need the inidividual on the build up system.

think about this: DCI tweaked the sheets this year. The corps themselves.

Guess what remained?

Judges on the field.

It's obvious theywant them. I've asked several percussion folksin DCI why the judge remains downstairs, and they said "one, you'll miss a lot. Two, you go upstairs, then you have two people doing the musical ensemble judges job. Three, in the venues now used for the biggest shows, forget it....you lose voices like...well...the battery".

I feel the percussion judge misses alot ALREADY. Judging the pit mostly on their ballad performance... the pit does so much more than that! Downstairs judges pick up more minute details but they miss A LOT. They are always out of position, dodging players, and... pointing out ticks.

And you lose voices... okay, so the audience loses voices aswell, is that a design/staging problem then?

Also the percussion field judge has to adjudicate literally dozens of instruments, with vastl different technique. (when including all the instruments used in the pit). There is no way that the average time spend infront of a pit or battery is adequate enough to even properly evaluate all the details.

Does this not lead to shows designed for judges and not the audience if a corps is concerned that they won't be getting credit for doing very detailed things that don't "carry" to the box... aka.. the audience?

You either need more field judges (1 for stictly battery, 1 for strictly pit) or none at all... But still their presence just lessens the professionalism of the performance.

Edited by charlie1223
  • Like 1

The general complaint seems to be that the field judges miss most of what's going on in the ensemble. It's supposed to be that way, isn't it? Field judges aren't looking for the big picture, that's the job of the judges upstairs. As a field judge moves across the section (brass, percussion, etc), they are looking for consistency throughout each member, technique in playing and movement. Put it all together and what do you got? Bippity Boppity Boo! Final score! :thumbup:

If the field judge was assigned ensemble/effect, and the upstairs judges were assigned individual execution, then I'd be agreeing with the need to change something hahaha! :tongue:

• Like 3

Because it is impossible to change anybody's mind, there are three things you don't discuss at the dinner table; religion, politics, and whether or not to get rid of judges on the field.

Get the judges off the field, It's not the 20th century anymore.

+++

Did I change anybody's mind? Let me know if my argument was persuasive. :cool:

They are in the way. But sometimes they are usefully. Like for picking up broken cymbals and stuff..

I feel the percussion judge misses alot ALREADY. Judging the pit mostly on their ballad performance... the pit does so much more than that! Downstairs judges pick up more minute details but they miss A LOT. They are always out of position, dodging players, and... pointing out ticks.

And you lose voices... okay, so the audience loses voices aswell, is that a design/staging problem then?

Also the percussion field judge has to adjudicate literally dozens of instruments, with vastl different technique. (when including all the instruments used in the pit). There is no way that the average time spend infront of a pit or battery is adequate enough to even properly evaluate all the details.

Does this not lead to shows designed for judges and not the audience if a corps is concerned that they won't be getting credit for doing very detailed things that don't "carry" to the box... aka.. the audience?

You either need more field judges (1 for stictly battery, 1 for strictly pit) or none at all... But still their presence just lessens the professionalism of the performance.

so if percussion misses a lot, then so should field visual and field brass right?

this is where DCi should never have combined the upstairs music judges into one sheet. then you had two sets of eyes, looking over their captions, and making sure theysaw as much as possible.

however, at the level of DCI corps, really, how much detail do you need? if you have to on tape break down the flaws in someone's approach to the level you have to devote minutes to it, that corps has far more issues than judging can spend.

and again...the CORPS THEMSELVES wanted it this way.

I know in some band circuits it's the in thing to have the judge upstairs for percussion, USBands being one of them. No offense, but that sheet is a mess. it's part ensemble, part effect...I mean what the hell? You already have a music ensemble and music effect judge.....you need a thrid person up there doing part of those two guys jobs just for drums?

and...if you are on the field, odds are your commentary can be useful to help the sounds that go upstairs, at least in outdoor venues. the moreyou continue to pull things up into the stands, the more you will have shows designed for one area, which will also affect the paying customers lucky enough to get seats between the 40's

• Like 1

The general complaint seems to be that the field judges miss most of what's going on in the ensemble. It's supposed to be that way, isn't it? Field judges aren't looking for the big picture, that's the job of the judges upstairs. As a field judge moves across the section (brass, percussion, etc), they are looking for consistency throughout each member, technique in playing and movement. Put it all together and what do you got? Bippity Boppity Boo! Final score! :thumbup:

If the field judge was assigned ensemble/effect, and the upstairs judges were assigned individual execution, then I'd be agreeing with the need to change something hahaha! :tongue:

yep.