What music would you love to see a drum corps do that hasn't been

My thanks to you both. I've learned something new today...even if I don't understand it.

:thumbup:

I'll try to explain it further to help you (or others) out...

So in a single chromatic scale you have 12 notes. Let's use the "C" chromatic scale as an example:

1) C

2) C#

3) D

4) D#

5) E

6) F

7) F#

8) G

9) G#

10) A

11) A#

12) B

12 Tone Technique implies that ALL 12 notes must be played before the first note in the series can be played again. In the above example, you would start your piece with the note C and work your way through the other notes in the order shown above. Start with 1) C, go to 2) C# next, and so on. You must go all the way through the notes and play the 12th note in the row, B, before you wish to play the 1st note C again in your piece of 12 Tone Music.

Though 12 tone techniques can be modified, typically you cannot play the 1st note in the series again until you play the other notes in the row and the 12th note in the series has sounded.

___

Of course, if you want, you can reverse the order and go from 12) to 1) instead of 1) to 12) instead. This is called Retrograde and would sound in this order: B, A#, A, G#, G, F#, F, E, D#, D, C#, C. All in that SPECIFIC ORDER. (12, 11, 10, 9, 8, etc.)

Retrograde is essentially the row in reverse

____

Here's where it gets a bit tricky...

If we want, we can create our own new rows by organizing the 12 notes of a chromatic scale in any order we wish and assign them different numbers. so long as we start with 1) and end with 12) before going back to 1) again. Here's a different 12 tone row row example:

1) E

2) Bb

3) G

4) C#

5) C

6) F#

7) A

8) D#

9) B

10) F

11) G#

12) D

In this example, we would start by sounding the note E. The next note to be played would be Bb, the third note would be G, and so on until the final note D is played before moving back to note 1) E.

How would a composer use this technique you ask? Let's look at an example from Prog/Avant Garde guitarist Ron Jarzombek:

The more relevant part of this video is from the beginning up until 0:34 seconds in. He illustrates what notes are used, and how the retrograde sounds as well. The rest of the video is very interesting as well!

I'll just mention again that I'd like to hear a Corps play some good gaming music.

Here's one that would make a nice ballad:

That's really gorgeous... and gaming could also provide visual ideas and themes. Sounds like a show to me!

• Like 1

I'd like to see James Barnes' Third Symphony, particularly Movement 3. But all of it would be great.

Edited by Arrowmarcher

I made a webpage a couple of years ago with great music that has never been played by any drumcorps. Some of the selections are shocking, at least to me, in that there is so much iconic timeless music that has apparently never been used by anyone:

http://www.hardbat.com/NeverDone.html

Some great music on that list!

Wasn't this Crown's 2004 opener????

Smetana - The Moldau

I arranged Tan Dun's "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" music for the band I work with two years ago...it worked very well, esp the cello feature. I think a great corps show could be made from this film's music!

This is one of the main themes turned into a wonderful ballad...

Edited by MikeD