What music would you love to see a drum corps do that hasn't been

<snip awesome list!, including:>

Vaughan-Williams 4th Sym

Khachaturian 3rd Sym

RV-W 4: TOTALLY AGREE! I did a 12-minute arrangement of it for large brass choir, just to prove it could work. Heck, just the first phrase of the piece would be a huge eye-opener if anyone wants to play a darkness show.

AK 3: I think you said 12 trumpets...that calls for *15* solo trumpets (and three in the orchestra). The Bluecoats played this with the Canton Symphony Orchestra last Spring.

No problem for BD; they would just play all the hard stuff while standing still. As usual. :ph34r::w00t:

Oh please....other corps stand still for the freakishly hard stuff all the time...typically for runs. 01 Regiment in the opener comes immediately to mind.

BD would find a way to march to the Ellis chart, if for no other reason than to freak out everyone else.

• Like 1

Okay. So long story short, I just really like Gamelan :music:

Lol.

• 3 months later...

Why on EARTH has a corps like the Madison Scouts or Crossmen not brought Xavier Cugat's music to the field. Rhythmic, percussion and brass heavy screamers, he's got a bunch of works just begging for DCI treatment.

Three from my iPod that I actually thought of on the way to work -

Jar of Hearts, by Christina Perri. Bluecoats, Bluecoats, Bluecoats. Seriously. Listen to it and tell me wasn't written just for them. Go listen. It's awesome.

Calling All Dawns, by Christopher Tin. Tin wrote the "Baba Yetu" song used in Civilization IV, and this album (which uses Baba Yetu as the opener) won a Grammy. It's perfect for drum corps - it mixes moods, timbers, voices, and each song is built around a different sort of ethnic music. To me, it really screams Cadets. Tin also writes music for Disney ventures, which explains, to me, why most of his music is so bright. (And the last song on the album ends with the first strains of Baba Yetu, so you can endlessly loop the album if you so choose...)

Okay, I'm copying from earlier in the thread, but I'd trade my soul for Phantom to either play Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings, or The Hobbit, if that danged Dwarf song is any indication.

Mike

I'd trade my soul for Phantom to either play Howard Shore's Lord of the Rings, or The Hobbit, if that danged Dwarf song is any indication.

Mike

I think Crown's Hornline would do better with it, Mike. At this point in time, Phantom is too inconsistent in brass for them to give it the treatment the music deserves.

More Mahler is always a good thing.

But beyond that, I want to see more Video Game music. Not necessarily the old school mario type music, but orchestral video game music that would translate into the drum corps world.

The God of War series offers tons of great music, and a fun story can be crafted around it. See the songs from the soundtrack: Revenge Rising, Muse;s Song,, Brothers of Blood, Depths of Hades, Poseidon's Wrath

Other games have music too, but i really want this stuff.

Then thinking outside of the box, Progressive Metal music, or symphonic metal, there is overlap, provides great powerful music and soaring solos to work with. My favorite of which would be a show based on Kamelot's Poetry for the Poisoned 4 part song which would translate decently well into a show, depending on the arranger obviously.

Just a few thoughts.

• Like 1