What if

What if drum corps could be more like something like this (with it's brass and percussion). I mean look at the enthusiasm. That's very exciting. I'm just saying. This is the kind of stuff that draws big crowds. BTW, listen to this through speakers. It's BETTER!!!

Afterall, a lot of the things in that clip derived from drum corps.

Edited by En929
  • Like 2

Having been to the HBCU Honda Battle of the Bands, I've been (slightly) exposed to this sort of production, though I didn't witness a "tunnel." It certainly is enthusiastic, but I hope no one ever tells them they could be more like drum corps, because what they have is singularly unique and wonderful in its own right, and it fits the purpose for which it is intended.

Conversely, drum corps is what it is for the purpose for which it is intended.

When fans proclaim, "Stop trying to change drum corps!," or, "Stop trying to make drum corps more like marching band!," I don't think this is what they had in mind to be concerned about, and I suspect it would only add fuel to a fire that isn't begging to be ignited.

Each activity needs to be appreciated for what it is, and not unappreciated for what it isn't.

Let me give Mike's very diplomatic reply a Reader's Digest version about any D&BC going this route. I hope not in my life time!

• Like 5

I love the different sections' marching hype. The saxes and mellows with the elbow pop, the trumpets holding them overhead, the flags with the serious leg lift, etc.

Some serious snap in there as well.

Fun.

Yep.

This stuff is pretty popular. Those band competitions attract huge crowds & corporate sponsorships. They play audience friendly music. It looks like fun.

Oddly enough, all of those things seem to be what many people around here are clamoring for

• Like 1

What if drum corps could be more like something like this (with it's brass and percussion). I mean look at the enthusiasm. That's very exciting. I'm just saying. This is the kind of stuff that draws big crowds. BTW, listen to this through speakers. It's BETTER!!!

Afterall, a lot of the things in that clip derived from drum corps.

Ummm...yeah.

I'm an old guy, but I'm not a prude...that show was certainly entertaining.

Frankly, I think Drum Corps has a bit more class than to base their shows on a bunch of hip thrusts and spread thighs.

Also, from a military marching perspective, most of those musicians did a lousy left turn. Just sayin'.

No.

Just no.

Edited by contrajedi8
  • Like 2