2012 DCA World Championships Prelims

Thank you guy ....:worthy:

CABS DROP WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I predicted it a few pages back on this thread after watching both Corps perform live via Fan Network.

Cabs were solid. But MB was definately " on " tonite and really brought it, imo.

Edited by BRASSO

I've got to get this off my chest.....IMO.....Cabs M&M was terrible tonight, unless the judges don't look at feet anymore or spacing problems (or trying to catch up to other horn players in line). Minn. Brass clearly had the cleanest M&M tonight, even Bucs had more problems then I thought they would (although they are still good). Hurcs had the best guard (IMO) Empire had the best Honor Guard. Maybe Bucs get the highest score but NOT that much over MB.....come on.

Cabs and Hurcs should have been closer (if not tied - ha ha), but the jump up to a 98 was not called for. I had to get this off my chest tonight. Oh, and Cadets were better than I thought they'd be, congrats to them on a good showing for the first time at DCA.

I guess the placings were right, I just didn't like the scores......oh well, I'll live with it (but I'm anxious to see the breakdowns)

Thanks for letting me spout off.

• Like 2

A few quick thoughts on the show tonight...

The venue is INCREDIBLE. Easily the best facility DCA has ever used. Easy to get to, easy to park, beautiful stadium with great sound and sight lines. Restaurants close buy, ample nearby hotel space (we are staying at BWI which is an easy 20 minute jaunt). The surrounding neighborhood and town are lovely.

The Kidsgrove Scouts have one of the most entertaining shows of the year in any circuit and are fantastic performers. I believe they were tragically underscored tonight, and should have been in the 90-91 range, ahead of Statesmen and Hurricanes.

Cadets2 laid down a fantastic show, and also should have been ahead of Hurricanes. How they cleaned that monster is a mystery, but they did it. Is it perfectly clean? Of course not...but based on excellence of given content and derived achievement, they were underscored. They had a huge impact on the crowd tonight, and received on of the three or four biggest ovations (along with Bucs and Kidsgrove).

I enjoyed Hurricanes a lot. It's the best designed program they have had in years. Not at all cookie-cutter. The percussion is the best section, and the guard is still very good. The brass playing and drill design are glaring weaknesses though, and should have dropped them in placement behind C2 and KS. Enjoyable, but not at a top 5 level.

Cabs had some issues tonight, particularly with two music ensemble tears in the first half of the program and a very rough ending by the brass. But man, this is such a good show regardless. Easily top 3, and some distance from the corps below them. They are clearly making a move this year that serves them well. Not their best tonight, but they will fix that tomorrow for sure.

Minnesota came out looking and sounding like a defending champion. I actually like the program more this year. It's certainly easier to follow and more effective visually. The brass and guard are outstanding, but the shining star tonight was that battery. They were just dynamite. I haven't seen a recap, but it would not surprise me at all if they took percussion.

Reading came out like a corps that wants their title back. Far and away the best sounding and most impactful brass, and the most well designed and executed color guards, the show was on another level visually and musically. Percussion had a bit of a rough night, especially in the first half. From the crazy snare feature on they were incredible though...a fantastic recovery. I don't see how they loose on Sunday. And man, is that show entertaining...on a very sophisticated level.

My placement order would have been:

1. Buccaneers

2. Minnesota

3. Caballeros

4. Cadets2

5. Kidsgrove Scouts

6. Hurricanes

Captions:

Brass, Guard, Visual, Effect: Buccaneers

Percussion: Minnesota Brass

General thoughts...

This is the best DCA Top 3 I have ever seen, and I think a lot of folks would agree. It's also the first time I've been entertained by everyone I saw.

Edited by Kamarag
  • Like 2

That's a big spread! Do you who were there think it was justified? Seems a bit much.

It was extremely justified.

Extremely justified spread. Reading will beat their own record IMO

I've got to get this off my chest.....IMO.....Cabs M&M was terrible tonight, unless the judges don't look at feet anymore or spacing problems (or trying to catch up to other horn players in line). Minn. Brass clearly had the cleanest M&M tonight, even Bucs had more problems then I thought they would (although they are still good). Hurcs had the best guard (IMO) Empire had the best Honor Guard. Maybe Bucs get the highest score but NOT that much over MB.....come on.

Cabs and Hurcs should have been closer (if not tied - ha ha), but the jump up to a 98 was not called for. I had to get this off my chest tonight. Oh, and Cadets were better than I thought they'd be, congrats to them on a good showing for the first time at DCA.

I guess the placings were right, I just didn't like the scores......oh well, I'll live with it (but I'm anxious to see the breakdowns)

Thanks for letting me spout off.

Cabs feet were cleaner than C2 if we are really going to be honest....by a lot. Are we stepping off with the left or the right? at finals this should not be an issue? I saw just as much going on with MB as everyone else - seriously. COnstruction was a huge difference - especially in the transitions and in the top 5.

Where I was watching the show, it seemed Hurcs did not stage the guard so well this year. and everytime they would block on a yardline, they vanished at times. Staging really effects things -

Cabs show was more exposed in this high of a stadium.

MB - why the CO2? I stopped watching!!

Reading filled the stadium really well tonight considering the delay and the rewarmup and seemed extremely prepared and the most confident in all sections - not just in some - and with all members - no one hid - they all did it and they all marched.

I am right there with you on the placement - but the spread IMO was there. Reading did the off season prep and this is when it shows.....George Parks always said if you want to win, you can't shoot for what the first place was from the previous season - You have to think beyond that and make it obvious so there are no doubts. I think they did -........again - IMO Take it for what it's worth - my opinion and $1.00 won't get a cup of coffee. and that's off my chest as well -

GREAT JOB EVERYONE!!

• Like 3

Wow, Empire will be picking the early slots next season with the other bottom 5 corps.

Jay

if they even compete.

i do not know now if i should drive from jersey to md tomorrow

Why not? I'm leaving from CT for finals in about an hour. Oh, and GO CABS!!!!!