2012 DCA World Championships Prelims

Not true. Several of us, myself included, called Cabs in the top 3 back in June. They are VERY deserving of their placement last night, even though the clearly have a better run in them.

Bucs have a great Visual show, and the Guard is incorporated into the show the best of any Corps out there, imo. The pathway to a DCA Title ( same as DCI in this respect ) is thru the Visual and the Guard, not so much the Brass and the Percussion, like in times past. Its a Visual medium now. Judges up in the booth count more than those down on the field on the sheets. At Finals Nite when crowds are screaming, lets face it, the judges can't hear way up in the booth far from the field whats played down below all that well. But they can see. And the eyes, not the ears, generally carry the day, especially on Finals Nite. The Bucs will win tonite and it will primarily be their strong Visual show and Guard complement to that Visual with colors and equipment work that'll carry them home to the Championship. Thats how I see it anyway.

Edited by BRASSO

A few quick thoughts on the show tonight...

The venue is INCREDIBLE. Easily the best facility DCA has ever used. Easy to get to, easy to park, beautiful stadium with great sound and sight lines. Restaurants close buy, ample nearby hotel space (we are staying at BWI which is an easy 20 minute jaunt). The surrounding neighborhood and town are lovely.

The Kidsgrove Scouts have one of the most entertaining shows of the year in any circuit and are fantastic performers. I believe they were tragically underscored tonight, and should have been in the 90-91 range, ahead of Statesmen and Hurricanes.

Cadets2 laid down a fantastic show, and also should have been ahead of Hurricanes. How they cleaned that monster is a mystery, but they did it. Is it perfectly clean? Of course not...but based on excellence of given content and derived achievement, they were underscored. They had a huge impact on the crowd tonight, and received on of the three or four biggest ovations (along with Bucs and Kidsgrove).

I enjoyed Hurricanes a lot. It's the best designed program they have had in years. Not at all cookie-cutter. The percussion is the best section, and the guard is still very good. The brass playing and drill design are glaring weaknesses though, and should have dropped them in placement behind C2 and KS. Enjoyable, but not at a top 5 level.

Cabs had some issues tonight, particularly with two music ensemble tears in the first half of the program and a very rough ending by the brass. But man, this is such a good show regardless. Easily top 3, and some distance from the corps below them. They are clearly making a move this year that serves them well. Not their best tonight, but they will fix that tomorrow for sure.

Minnesota came out looking and sounding like a defending champion. I actually like the program more this year. It's certainly easier to follow and more effective visually. The brass and guard are outstanding, but the shining star tonight was that battery. They were just dynamite. I haven't seen a recap, but it would not surprise me at all if they took percussion.

Reading came out like a corps that wants their title back. Far and away the best sounding and most impactful brass, and the most well designed and executed color guards, the show was on another level visually and musically. Percussion had a bit of a rough night, especially in the first half. From the crazy snare feature on they were incredible though...a fantastic recovery. I don't see how they loose on Sunday. And man, is that show entertaining...on a very sophisticated level.

My placement order would have been:

1. Buccaneers

2. Minnesota

3. Caballeros

4. Cadets2

5. Kidsgrove Scouts

6. Hurricanes

Captions:

Brass, Guard, Visual, Effect: Buccaneers

Percussion: Minnesota Brass

General thoughts...

This is the best DCA Top 3 I have ever seen, and I think a lot of folks would agree. It's also the first time I've been entertained by everyone I saw.

I left before the top 3 but my placement would have been the same 4-6. I also thought Kilties should have been up on Bush.

No, Bucs had not only te best brass performance I the night, but the best overall musicall ensemble as well. The coordination of te musical program is amazing, an seemlessly integrated with the visual program.

This is not tue DCA of old. To win a corps must be strong across all sections and blend the music and visual as if they were all one thing. The top three all do this to a great extent, but Reading just does it a hair better this year.

Bucs have a great Visual show, and the Guard is incorporated into the show the best of any Corps out there, imo. The pathway to a DCA Title ( same as DCI in this respect ) is thru the Visual and the Guard, not so much the Brass and the Percussion, like in times past. Its a Visual medium now. Judges up in the booth count more than those down on the field on the sheets. At Finals Nite when crowds are screaming, lets face it, the judges can't hear way up in the booth far from the field whats played down below all that well. But they can see. And the eyes, not the ears, generally carry the day, especially on Finals Nite. The Bucs will win tonite and it will primarily be their strong Visual show and Guard complement to that Visual with colors and equipment work that'll carry them home to the Championship. Thats how I see it anyway.

Not sure what this had to do with the quote you referenced in your post about Cabs being Top 3.. but I.don't agree the judges can't hear what's going on at field level. The crowds are very respectful. And applaud when needed in most cases. Besides, the brass judge on the field gets the best brass read with little crowd noise.

Not sure what this had to do with the quote you referenced in your post about Cabs being Top 3.

The recent comment on the Visual and Guard has little to do with it. They were distinct and unconnected.This comment ( Vis./ Guard ) was made as a general observation. My previous comment on the Cabs was in reply to a poster that was shocked to hear that MB beat the Cabs in the prelims. My reply to that was that I predicted on here after watching them both perform at Prelims ( albeit via Fan Network ) that MB would top the Cabs in the prelims. I said the Cabs were " solid " in overall performance but that I thought MB was " on " last nite. No more no less.

I think Bucs win tonite, as they have the full package, and visually they are stunning. But who knows, we'll see.

Edited by BRASSO

Sorry for the typos,I'm writing from my phone and the DCPmobile site doesn't allow edits.

It does! Just hold down on your text and let go. On the bottom right side of the post buttons will pop up to let you "Reply" if you want to quote a post or "Edit" your own post. :)

Edited by Danielle

Have to disagree on your take. If your theory on visual is accurate MB wouldn't be champs... they have a history of too little movement or challenge. Hurcs on the other hand, with their great guard and superior visual package over the last five years, would have recieved more notice. Gotta agree that it's the total package that gets one to the top....Bucs have the total package!

well you may be right. but big things are happening there. and they are my home town corps and i love them. so i apologize. it was wrong. my emotions got the better of me.

Dino,

To answer your original question,I'm thinking Empire has never placed lower than 4th since 1984. It is a record that will never be broken I believe. Someone please correct me if I am wrong!