DCA I&E Mini Corps judging

I know nobody cares, but *my* take on all this:

Crunchy Frog "Got It"...

I&E/Mini used to be a night to blow off some steam, party with some friends and just entertain a crowd.

Almost every Minicorps was made up of competing corps members that just loved to play; nothing more.

(Especially when I&E/Minis came after Prelims)

Scores were irrelevant (105!?) - it was all about Camaraderie and Just Plain FUN for performers and fans alike.

Now it's all so.. gal-dang serious, what with recording rights/expenses and all, that most of the FUN has been taken out of it...

(Shrug)

• Like 1

Ok. So, you pay a fee. DCA pays money for a place for you to perform. Does your fees cover that? Odds are no. But DCA does it to be nice, and they do not charge admission.

So, then to come in here and throw a ####### temper tantrum.....what does that accomplish?

if anything it does more of what several of these tantrums over the years have done.....

turn people off on mini corps. Why? because year in and year out, it seems there more drama attached to that event than anything else all weekend. The only exception may be in 2006 when the weather at prelims tied mini corps for amount of drama and hissy fits

Jeff are you having a bad insurance day or what - you are realy cranky versus your usual words of wisdom.

• Like 1

I know nobody cares, but *my* take on all this:

Crunchy Frog "Got It"...

I&E/Mini used to be a night to blow off some steam, party with some friends and just entertain a crowd.

Almost every Minicorps was made up of competing corps members that just loved to play; nothing more.

(Especially when I&E/Minis came after Prelims)

Scores were irrelevant (105!?) - it was all about Camaraderie and Just Plain FUN for performers and fans alike.

Now it's all so.. gal-dang serious, what with recording rights/expenses and all, that most of the FUN has been taken out of it...

(Shrug)

True - but as was noted before .. DCA needs to attract more people to the weekly shows as well as the Finals. Telling the mini folks that DCA doesn't give a hoot about them - well you are going to have more empty seats next year in Annapolis. I only went to one show this season - the stands were barely occupied..sad that I could go to a Jersey Shore contest on a sunday afternoon with 6-7 corps with perhaps 1-2 being top grade and there would be 4-6K fans in those stands.

• Like 2

Another year where the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and Ream bad mouths mini corps while kissing up to DCA...yep, all is right in the world!

Are you still driving a Jetta, Jeff?

Of course, Jeff's done neither. Then again, you could say "Another year where the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and a bunch of members of mini-corps that got spanked bad mouth DCA for allegedly not doing enough, while moaning about judging."

• Like 2

This has been a fun read since last night. What nobody really seems to realize or admit is that the whole I&E is just a PARTY to get the weekend started. I spent 25 year as a DCA director and I can tell you that if we spent 5 minutes total talking about mini corps championships at a DCA meeting, It was alot. One year they demanded a podium, One year they demanded music stands, one year a stage etc etc.When does it end guys?

Im sure if zero mini corps signed up, The championships would continue. Even with only 7 corps in the mini corps this year, DCA had the best payed attendance at the shows since 1996.

you guys want tapes? Bring them and a tape recorder yourself and hand it to the judge before you perform, See, Its that easy.

And im going with my original feeling, Its just sour grapes.

• Like 5

Of course, Jeff's done neither. Then again, you could say "Another year where the sun rises in the east, sets in the west and a bunch of members of mini-corps that got spanked bad mouth DCA for allegedly not doing enough, while moaning about judging."

Of course if you want to make stuff up you could say that John...but you see Jeff and I go way back and I will bust his balls at will...but thank you for playing!

Of course if you want to make stuff up you could say that John...but you see Jeff and I go way back and I will bust his balls at will...but thank you for playing!

Bust him all you want, I haven't seen him rip on minis at all, no is he a DCA suck-up. But never let the facts get in the way of a good argument...

Really, this is a little confusing. Let's clear things up with a question and answer round shall we?

Q: How much would it cost to give the mini-corps tapes?

A: Probably nothing as the recorders already exist, and creating mp3s is free.

Q: Would adding tapes to mini-corps add to or detract from the legitimacy of the competition?

A: Add, because the judges opinions would be captured and it would allow the corps to hear where they can improve on for the next season.

Q: Would adding tapes to mini-corps inconvenience the judges or the fans in any way?

A: I don't really see how, as long as they weren't yelling into the tape recorders?

Q: I&E performances don't have tapes, why is mini-corps different?

A: Two answers. One, the number of I&E competitors is HUGE, and providing each of them with a tape would be a logistical nightmare. Whereas mini-corps has ~10 competing corps so the logistical impact would be insignificant. Two, the length of a mini-corps performance, and the amount of TIME that a group puts into the planning of a routine is VASTLY different than anything in the I&E competition. To try and wrap up comments to something as long as a mini-corps performance in a few handwritten lines leaves a lot of questions unanswered, and can in no way be specific enough to address any questions members might have.

Q: So, if giving tapes to mini-corps wouldn't cost anything, and the logistical impact would be negligible, what reason is there for not adding tapes to the competition?

A: ?????????????????????

Honestly, I feel like some people are being a little too defensive. Other than the OP's tone, he has a good point. Tapes can be very valuable to the corps by giving necessary comments for people to improve upon, they add legitimacy to the competition by putting everything on the record, and at the very least it gives the corps a small souvenir to tape home after their performance. When the corps put SO much time and effort into putting together a performance for the crowd, I don't see any reason why DCA can't provide them with a tape or two, especially since it wouldn't add any cost to the show, or add logistical issues.

Edited by MarimbaManiac
  • Like 2

Q: I&E performances don't have tapes, why is mini-corps different?

A: Two answers. One, the number of I&E competitors is HUGE, and providing each of them with a tape would be a logistical nightmare.

BINGO, So if the other competitors cant get them, Then NOBODY gets them, Thats sounds fair to me or are the mini corps special?

Sour grapes, thats all this argument is about.

• Like 1